AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Banned
1,647 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I see post after post regarding new owners with dead/stuck pixels. I am becoming worried, now. Am still waiting on a backorder, but, at these prices [@+2k$] I'll not be happy with anything less than perfect, and I don't think anyone should these days. With today's technology, couldn't these flaws be caught at quality control at the factory? It seems almost like a double digit percentage of pj's are flawed!!??? I know the hassle of turn and RMA and shipping back and forth and the waiting, and all.

Is there a ratio of the number of flawed sets out there?

Am I being overly parinoied? Or have I just hexed myself to a flawed pj by the mere fact that I mentioned it????...:( :confused: :(

·
Registered
4,609 Posts
Yes, I think you are being overly paranoid. I don't see post after post of dead pixels, and you have to realize that those of us who don't have dead pixels aren't posting "No dead pixels, yippee" threads. We're just enjoying our picture. Also, if you'll read the dead pixel reports carefully, most of them say, "I put up all these test screens and got my nose 6 inches from the screen, and I found one!" People need to sit in their chair and enjoy the show. If you're watching something and you see one, then complain, but don't go looking for things that you normally wouldn't see. Just my opinion.

·
Registered
307 Posts
I dont mean to scare you away from your purchase or anything ... I'm just being honest. I have yet to see a digital projector that doesnt have at least one dead or stuck pixel.

That being said, some of the dead/stuck pixels were not visible from seating distance so they were a non-issue.

·
Banned
1,647 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Over the past few weeks, I had seen many posts where projectors were returned for repair, for a variety of reasons, including pixels. And, there seems to be certain policies some dealers have regarding pixels, so, obvisiously, it is a common problem, I was just trying to determine to what degree it really is...in addition, a saw a dealer that wont ship you a Panny without first openning it and testing it for pixels. This is a service or a hassle avoidance measure [RMA, shipping back and forth, and what-not] that seems have gained popularity, for some reason.

But, in the grand scheme of things, I guess it is a non-issue...being that one, two or fourteen pixels, out of 3 million, I guess wouldn't show, I just don't know. So, I guess it is relative, based on your projectors resolution, right?

·
Registered
307 Posts
jacksonian: Im pretty sure that are many digital projectors out there that are flawless. Im just telling about my personal experience. I had to send back two brand new lc75u's a few months back because of dead pixels. It just seems to me that there are many posts about lcd projectors having dead pixels. Also, I hate the mfg warranty concerning dead pixels. Most of them claim that 3-6 dead pixels is within the norm. That seems fine for business, but that is unacceptable for home theater use.

I totally agree with Midlife when he states: "at these prices [@+2k$] I'll not be happy with anything less than perfect, and I don't think anyone should these days. " in his original post.

·
Registered
4,309 Posts
MidLife: It depends on the type of pixel, too. I was unfortunate to have a stuck red pixel right in the middle of my screen. It was like somebody was using one of those laser pointers. But I think I was in the minority. Most dead or stuck pixels are hard to notice, like a black pixel near the edge of the screen. I sent my projector (Boxlight 1HD) in and it was fixed and sent back out within 24 hours. No dead or stuck pixels that I can see.

If I was you, I wouldn't worry about it too much. The people who have had bad experiences are more likely to post them than those who aren't having problems.

·
Registered
290 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by jacksonian

Yes, I think you are being overly paranoid. I don't see post after post of dead pixels, and you have to realize that those of us who don't have dead pixels aren't posting "No dead pixels, yippee" threads. We're just enjoying our picture. Also, if you'll read the dead pixel reports carefully, most of them say, "I put up all these test screens and got my nose 6 inches from the screen, and I found one!" People need to sit in their chair and enjoy the show. If you're watching something and you see one, then complain, but don't go looking for things that you normally wouldn't see. Just my opinion.
I second every single word of the above quote.

I, too, don't see post after post. In fact I have not seen one post of anyone reporting a genuine dead pixel, or even worse a stuck pixel. And yes they are NOT the same thing, but two totally different problems. Stuck pixels being the worse problem. But to be fair, I do not read every single thread about every different projector either.

The bottom line is, if you cannot see a problem from a normal viewing position, then you don't have a problem.

·
Banned
1,647 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
:) j: "you have to realize that those of us who don't have dead pixels aren't posting "No dead pixels, yippee" threads. We're just enjoying our picture."

Yeah, you are probably right. I guess I'm being too anal about all this. Life is short, right....I'll try to enjoy it the best I can!

I just have had bad experience, such as three tries to get a 36"TV that worked out-of-the-box! Some stange red glow in the corners of the screen like you were holding a magnet next to it. Deguasing wouldn't clear the problem. And hauling big TVs back and forth is a probem..I just jinx, I guess!:(

·
Registered
307 Posts
MidLife: Like all electronics, there is always a chance of getting defective product. I'm sure that you'll enjoy your projector when you get it. If it happens to have dead/stuck pixels (ones that are visible ofcourse), send it back for rma. Most companies are very quick on the turn around time for rma's.

·
Registered
129 Posts
just ordered the panny l300u and the place i ordered from has a dead pixel return policy that if i see just one send it back and they will ship out a new one.

not that i would be constantly looking for one but if i did happen to see one that was noticable exactly what would it look like.

tks

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.