AVS Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
293 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

SAN FRANCISCO—At a Game Developers Conference event today, Sony revealed more plans for the company's previously announced Project Morpheus VR headset, which will be coming in the first half of 2016. While no prices or bundling details were announced, the device's improved specs were outlined by Sony Worldwide Studios president Shu Yoshida. Someone in the audience let out an audible "wow" when Yoshida started by revealing Morpheus' 120 Hz refresh rate and key display update. The screen is now an OLED display at 1920 x RGB x 1080, which Yoshida said means low persistence and removing motion blur from the old LCD. The device's screen is 5.7 inches, which is large enough for a 100 degree field of view. And the new design includes nine LED trackers to provide 360 degree tracking, according to Sony. "With these specs achieved, we're one step closer to making VR a reality for games," Yoshida said. He went on to say that with the device "near final tech," there's finally a set of standards for developers to target.

http://arstechnica.com/gaming/2015/03/sony-ps4-gets-vr-with-project-morpheus-in-early-2016/

·
Banned
10,026 Posts

SAN FRANCISCO—At a Game Developers Conference event today, Sony revealed more plans for the company's previously announced Project Morpheus VR headset, which will be coming in the first half of 2016. While no prices or bundling details were announced, the device's improved specs were outlined by Sony Worldwide Studios president Shu Yoshida. Someone in the audience let out an audible "wow" when Yoshida started by revealing Morpheus' 120 Hz refresh rate and key display update. The screen is now an OLED display at 1920 x RGB x 1080, which Yoshida said means low persistence and removing motion blur from the old LCD. The device's screen is 5.7 inches, which is large enough for a 100 degree field of view. And the new design includes nine LED trackers to provide 360 degree tracking, according to Sony. "With these specs achieved, we're one step closer to making VR a reality for games," Yoshida said. He went on to say that with the device "near final tech," there's finally a set of standards for developers to target.

http://arstechnica.com/gaming/2015/03/sony-ps4-gets-vr-with-project-morpheus-in-early-2016/
I'm not sure why they're phrasing things the way they have. VR realism is more connected to the time between motion, detection, and the resulting image, not so much the refresh rate any longer.

·
Registered
2,098 Posts
Actually high refresh rates are very important on low-persistant displays in order to minimize flickering - think of the likes of CRT monitors.

Also Sony did actually have one demo that did run at a native 120fps, which can at best reduce visual latency by half compared to 60fps.

·
Registered
4,152 Posts
I don't game so I'm not looking at VR with much enthusiasm. But I do want a head mounted display that feels as advertised -- like looking at a huge screen from 20' away instead of a little rectangle surrounded by a lot of black space inches from your face

1 - 5 of 5 Posts