AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
343 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I bought my first PVR yesterday. The replayTV 5400. I waited for 2 years for a viable solution for HTPC and there still is none. Here is my initial experience.

First I hooked up the replayTV to my cable box and then the outputs to the TV. Then I connected an ethernet cable to my 8 port HUB.

Setup comes up on your tv as soon as you turn on the replayTV

It automatically connected to my DHCP server in my Linksys router and picked an IP address

Then it went to replayTV and updated the replayTV operating software and then rebooted itself to load the new OS

It then asks for your zip code after reboot and then goes and updates all the channels

then you tell setup what is connected to the various ports on the back of the replayTV unit, attach the IR cable to your digital cable box so it can control the cable box and switch channels automatically

voilÃ* ...I am now recording a basketball game and about 30 minutes into it I started watching it (SANS commercials) from the beginning using the commercial skip feature. The only way that you can tell that a commercial was even there is that the ESPN logo flashes almost imperceptibility when it returns to the channel... the commercial skip is virtually transparent.

The only downside I can see so far is a slightly softer picture on the TV then when I have the cable box connected directly to the TV.

Not quite sure what to think of this. I certainly didn't buy this to go back a generation in picture quality.

Regards to all,

Kirby

:)

·
Registered
43 Posts
Hi Kirby,

I did a lot of testing before selecting my Replay, and found that because both the TiVo and Replay had to digitize the video signal and then convert back to analog, filtering is required. This is what causes the softer picture.

I don't know if you have already tried this, but you may want to hook up the YPbPr output (if your display has the correct input). I've noticed that the picture is noticeably sharper than the S-Video output.

·
Registered
201 Posts
I too am a bit concerned with the softening. It is very noticable on a 53" HDTV. If it is some sort of noise reduction, I wish I could disable it. I won't watch any live TV through the replay as a result of the PQ. Watching live TV is so 90's anyway. :D

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.