AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The picture is amazing. I'm feedng it DVI from a samsung TS160 directv receiver, and it's is simply unbelievable. I was watching the basketball game on hdnet last night and it almost looked 3d. As an added bonus the samsung tunes very strong signals for all of my local digital ota channels, and integrates them in the guide. Very cool. Bye bye directv local channel fees.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Olysan,

I am considering the TH-42PHD6UY also. What was your final deciding point on this Plasma TV versus others? Did you get the RCA and S Video output or something else? Did you get the add on speakers on just use your regular speakers?

Thanks!

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Homepro01,

It really came down to the 50PHD6UY being the most bang for the buck in my application.

I wanted HD

I didn't need a tuner

I didn't need a stand

I only need 2 high quality inputs (DVI and Component)

I didn't need spekers

I got the DVI blade to connect to my directv HD receiver, and will use the component out of my dvd player. I run the dolby digital audio from those 2 device through a denon receiver and out to my surround setup, so I did not get the speakers. By the way the standard input package includes RCA/S-vid, component, vga, and pc. If you connect to the s-vid term the RCA composite will be disabled.

·
Registered
1,001 Posts
Hi,

is there any overscan on the DVI input? If so is it adjustable in the service menu?

A good way to find out would be to watch the test pattern next time it plays on HDnet. The test pattern does have overscan marks, right?

Bob C

·
Registered
1,001 Posts
Fair enough :)

How long did it take to get your panel from the time you placed the order?

I'm seriously thinking about maxing out my credit card tomorrow for this panel, blade, and wall mount.

Bob C

·
Registered
380 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by bobbyc
Hi,

is there any overscan on the DVI input? If so is it adjustable in the service menu?
No need of service menu.

You can change Picture Size and position (Hor/Vert) using the remote control.

·
Registered
532 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by plasmamaniac
Does this unit display 720P without converting it to 1080I? I know the consumer version specs say it only displays 720P from PC input.
One of the main reasons I chose to buy the TH-42PHD6UY rather than the consumer version is because the 6UY model supports 720p input. The comsumer version doesn't convert 720p... it doesn't support it at all. Since I plan on using my XBox with my Plasma, 720p support was important.

Additionally, 720p is used by ABC and eventually FOX for OTA HDTV. While a STB or cable box can convert to 1080i, I believe that fewer conversions are a good thing. Any plasma is going to convert from the input resolution to its native resolution (based on the number of pixels in the display). Doing an extra conversion from 720p to 1080i before the TV's conversion will induce some loss of quality IMO.

·
Registered
2,297 Posts
Also, ESPN HD on Directv is 720P. The consumer version specs says it accepts 720P from PC input (see the asterisk next to 720P). I can't understand why they wouldn't when plasma's friendliest resolution is 720P. I bought the Fujitsu P50 plasma because it supports 720P and it looks awesome when you view ABC Sports or ESPN HD and I can't wait for FOX to broadcast 720P in August.

·
Registered
500 Posts
SD depends greatly on the source. Poor analog cable feed in Just mode, average. Good OTA feed or digital feed, can be very, very good. I also have the 506UY.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Bobbyc,

First, I ordered it from plasma concepts, and would recommend them to anyone. I paid with a cashiers check since they offer a 3% discount for cash. Aric at Plasma Concepts got my check on tuesday 1/20, and my plasma was delivered into my living room on friday 1/23.

All,

I've had a chance to experiment a little with 1080i, and 720p from my stb today, and I can't see a difference. I'm sure someone with a trained eye could but not me.

As far as SD programming, well it's only as good as the feed, but even the worst examples are equal to or better than the 32" mitsubishi that I replaced.

I watched espn's winter X games for an hour today, it was sd and it was still stunning.

Mike

·
Registered
441 Posts
Congrats on the purchase - just make sure you want to keep it

from Plasma Concepts:

No returns for Credit/ Refund will be accepted. At Plasma Concepts sole discretion, non-defective merchandise may be returned within 10 days from the shipment date and will be subject to 25% Restocking Fees. In the event that Plasma Concepts authorizes return of merchandise, the merchandise must be returned in resalable condition including, but not limited to: original packaging and packaging materials, all cords, cables, cartons and documentation, registration and warranty materials, and like-new condition of the merchandise and packaging materials. Plasma Concepts has the sole discretion to specify these and other conditions for the return of merchandise. Prior to returning any merchandise, a Return Merchandise Authorization (RMA) must be obtained from Plasma Concepts. RMA's are valid for a period of 5 working days. Do not write the RMA number on the box. This makes it non-resalable and you will be charged for replacing the box. Display the number on the shipping label. Merchandise returned without a RMA on the shipping label will be refused. Merchandise is to be returned with freight prepaid and must be insured

·
Registered
532 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by plasmamaniac
Also, ESPN HD on Directv is 720P. The consumer version specs says it accepts 720P from PC input (see the asterisk next to 720P).
With the consumer version, I suppose you could buy a Component-to-VGA adapter cable to use the 720p via the VGA connector. Unfortunately, Panasonic chose to put the VGA connector on the front of the T.V. Personally, I'd rather not have a big hunk of cabling hanging off the front of my otherwise asthetically pleasing plasma.

All this is moot with the industrial / commercial model, though, since it works just fine with 720p.

·
Registered
181 Posts
Just got mine from plasma concepts too.

FYI - I was quite dissapointed in it the first day, but on the second day I got the settings figured out, and it is the best image I have ever seen. For me, the image is a bit soft on the standard settings. If you crank sharpness to the maximum +15 it looks terrific without the usual added artifacts. It is as if sharpness should be renamed 'softness' on this monitor.

Anyhow, the colors are sooo real. Blew my old panasonic PT52-DL52 DLP set away (and that, in my opinion, was the best DLP set to reach the mass market). I can see stuff that I never, ever knew was there on the DLP.

I love:

1) color and realism of image.

2) individual memory per input for both picture settings AND picture size - remove all 'overscan' for a less stretched image.

3) DVI input - great with the momitsu V880.

4) takes 720P - even custom modes for 1:1 pixel mapping

not so keen on:

1) max brightness is not at the best level compared to some other plasmas, but it is a non issue as contrast is superb. Just limit lighting a bit.

2) discrete codes for inputs don't seem to all work (usual panny story).

-Jonathan

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.