AVS Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Premium Member
681 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,

I just received my Kaleidescape 3U Server wit 8 4TB discs (effective storage capacity after losing one drive for parity and one drive for a hot spare is 6x4TB drives). The DV-700 vault and first M300 player will show up Friday. I picked up the Server from Cinelife as a refurbished server (full warranty) on the Kaleidescape Owners forum ( www.kscapeowners.com ). I got a great deal on the DV-700 and M300 new from a friend.

I was previously trying to go the route of one of the media players like Popcorn hour, or Mede8er and then I tried going the route of XBMC. I made great inroads with taking the open source Crestron module for XBMC which I upgraded and integrated XBMC with my Crestron system and providing what I felt was a really nice UI. I spent several hundred hours on this and still I continued to fight problems in XBMC (could all be my issues) or limitations in their API. Finally with the Blu-Ray disc association starting to go after the companies who made the ripping software and continually trying to work through the challenges I decided I had far more I needed to do for my home automation and home theater than continue down this path. It was fun, but I really have too many other projects.

Had I not been able to buy the server refurbished I would not have been able to do this. It was still a lot of money, but I am really excited.

I am starting to do the programming to integrate with my Crestron system while I wait for the other components to arrive.

Bryan

·
Premium Member
2,605 Posts
I love my Kaleidescape system....

This Friday I have a movie night at my home 'Gravity' the cool thing about K Escape is that you can create a script for the movie night... my script for this Friday is:

Show Finding Nemo Cover 5 Seconds:

Play the Scene 'Mike' (You can create your own scenes if you like also).

Show Super 8 Cover 5 Seconds:

Play Scene 'Rail Crash'

Show the cover Frozen

Playe Scene 'Let It Go'.

Show The cover Gravity 8 Seconds

Play Movie

How awesome is that...

Enjoy the K Escape

·
Registered
937 Posts
My screen is paid off in about 15 more months...K is next on my list...

Best Buy 3 years same as cash, no interest FTW!

·
Registered
8 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ash Sharma  /t/1525566/just-joined-the-ranks-of-kaleidescape-owners#post_24566364

I love my Kaleidescape system....

This Friday I have a movie night at my home 'Gravity' the cool thing about K Escape is that you can create a script for the movie night... my script for this Friday is:

Show Finding Nemo Cover 5 Seconds:

Play the Scene 'Mike' (You can create your own scenes if you like also).

Show Super 8 Cover 5 Seconds:

Play Scene 'Rail Crash'

Show the cover Frozen

Playe Scene 'Let It Go'.

Show The cover Gravity 8 Seconds

Play Movie

How awesome is that...

Enjoy the K Escape
Howdy!  That is a pretty sweet script you got there.  I recently created a similar script for the old Ken Russell version of The Who's "Tommy", but I used songs from live Who performances as the warm up acts...

·
Premium Member
681 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I got everything installed on Friday. Loaded about 180 discs Saturday. Plan to finish loading discs to the vault today. Thank goodness for the ability to by $1.99 and be able to remove discs from the vault that are in the Kaleidescape store or I would be facing another Disc Vault purchase almost immediately. With 19 titles imported it has identified 4 titles that I can pay the $1.99 for and remove the disc from the vault. One thing I was surprised by is the slow loading (ripping) speed. I was used to a Blu-Ray with AnyDvd taking about 30 minutes to rip to a file server, and I am seeing about 90 minutes as the average import time for a disc with some taking as long as 2.5 hours and a couple less than an hour. The import process is going to take probably about 2-3 weeks at this pace once I have all of the disks loaded.

Ash and Eric, thank you for the insight about the scripts. It looks like I have a great deal to learn.

I am working to integrate into my Crestron system today. Kaleidescape has some great examples and a very complete crestron module on their web site. I just need to incorporate their usability model into my touch panel UI design (easier said than done).

Once the budget recovers from this investment, I plan to add a second player. All of the players like other video sources are switched around the house with a Crestron Digital media system.

I will post more as I learn more and have other observations.

Bryan

·
Registered
8 Posts

Good morning Bryan,

as I work for Kaleidescape, please feel free to PM me if you have any specific questions.  I can also, of course, respond to any items here on the forum that may be of interest to all parties.

Eric

Reactions: markrubin

·
Registered
351 Posts
Hi Eric,

Is there any way to view and select a disc's chapter listing without actually going through the tedious process of just 'playing disc'?

Thanks for your time and input.

Kevin

·
Registered
8 Posts

Hello!

Once the movie is playing, you can simply press "Disc Menu" on the remote.  This will (in most cases) pull up the DVD or Blu-ray disc menu. You will skip many of the tedious portions of the "Play Disc" path that you are currently experiencing.

Eric 

Reactions: mokajava

·
Premium Member
2,605 Posts
Bryan,

I am using a Crestron System to drive my entire Cinema - I recently upgraded to the Ipad/Iphone version.

Now my entire family has the Cinema remote on their iPhones and I have Two iPads also (one mini sitting in the theater all the time). I love the part that since the Crestron iPad/Iphone based system runs on wifi - I can start the theater 5 minutes before I go there - that way my projector is on and source selected so I don't waste any time when I enter the theater.

The crestron has a module for K Escape ....

But I really like iPad App for K Escape - It is awesome - as you can see how much movie is left on the app - what audio stream is running and browse other movies without interrupting he movie.

I love the Intermission button of The Kescape if you have to pause or leave the movie.

This app needs to be explored as it has more usability (Too bad K Escape does not provide a U Tube video or manual).

There is a iPhone app also you can look at called Remotescape - a nice way to get K Escape interface on your iPhone (for this the crestron system is not required).

As I mentioned before, I waited on getting the K Escape too long - I tried ripping with HTPC - Crestron Media Center with their version of the Vault - pissed away all that money and time fiddling with all these set ups multiple calibrations audio and video etc etc..

I should have bought K Escape long time ago.

You will love it.

Ash

1 - 10 of 10 Posts