AVS Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am looking for some new speakers for my setup. I am currently using an Onkyo 705 and I am not pleased with it at all. I will be purchasing a Yamaha 3800 or 3900 within the next few weeks and I am looking for some new speakers for my 5.1 (maybe eventually 7.1) system. Big movie/TV watcher and not much on playing music on my system. May plug the ipod into the receiver from time to time but looking more for a TV/Movie setup. Just off the top, what are some good speaker recommendations. I have not shopped for speakers in quite some time.

I think I want to stick with bookshelf speakers. I currently have the floor standing ones and I think I prefer the look of the smaller speaker. I have recently came across the Definitive Technology ProCinema Series and they look very pleasant. The price of the 600 series is really nice but was wondering if it was worth the money to go to the 800 or the 1000?

All in all just looking for some ideas!

·
Registered
5,454 Posts
a suggestion....buy your speakers first and see how they work with your existing Onkyo. Speakers are far more important in the final perceived sound quality than the receiver. You may not need the new Yamy.

·
Registered
710 Posts
What don't you like about the Onkyo? Chances are it is the speakers you presently have that are the issue.

I would recommend you look into the ID companies as I feel they offer a little more bang for the buck. Aperion, Ascend, Axiomaudio, av123, SVSound, Hsu, Emotiva to name a few.

I have the Axiom M22s and I feel they are one of the best speakers I have heard for HT and music, especially in their price range.

What sort of budget are you looking at? And remember you don't have to get the sub from the same company, as just about any sub will work with any system as long as you are not looking for the same finish.

·
Registered
30,168 Posts
definitely swap speakers FIRST and then decide if you need a new receiver. Not much to lose as if you decide to change later, the Yammy will be even cheaper!

1 - Figure out a total budget for speakers + sub

2 - read, research, and most importantly go out and listen!

·
Registered
3,575 Posts
I agree with the others, keep your receiver and invest more in speakers.

I upgraded my system from an HTIB this year and got the Yamaha RXV1800 and KEF speakers and am really happy.

As I mentioned in another thread, as new models are now released the KEF iQ3 can be had for a really good price ($250 per pair).

edit: The Def Techs were on my short list too (I was looking at ProMonitor 800 and ProCenter 1000). They sound really good but I really liked the Kef and they were a better deal. Make a short list, audition and choose.

·
Registered
1,379 Posts
Agreed with everyone else too. My question is, did you properly set up and calibrate it correctly? Not setting your receiver properly can result in poor sound as well. Have you checked out the Onkyo thread in the Receiver forum? Very helpful. I owned 2 Onkyo and very happy with them.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Price range is, well, affordable. As for a number, I am not sure. Just looking for a good speaker.

I think I will swap out the speakers first and see how that goes.

I have calibrated my current receiver and it is setup properly, I am just not a fan of the sound of the Onkyo. I guess its more that I am a huge fan of the yamy sound.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts