AVS Forum banner

1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
256 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Is it just me or did CES just lower the bar for excitement around new products. Next to nothing in 55 inch plus displays other then the Kuro and a few may-may not get mass produced Laser TVs. I was expecting much more, it will be a very "cool" year for the CE industry if this is all that's coming. Even most of Cnets "best of show" fail to impress (for me).

·
Registered
4,849 Posts
Worst CES in history!

Pioneer and Panasonic a little bit better--everything else either pie in the sky or years down the road!

How about a CES where a satellite or cable company offers ZERO compression on all of its channels and 1080p Broadcast becomes a reality--screw the current standards!

You know why you won't see that? As long as broadcast ANYTHING isn't TRUE 1080p then hollywood can sell more 1080p discs!

The only real reason you have Pioneer Plasma and Panasonic Plasma gettong better is they figure with sets that are that good people won't want to watch crappy broadcast TV and will buy discs.

They figure they needed to Kill off HD-DVD so that they could sell more Blue-Rays--they didn't want a long Beta versus VHS war and since Sony was getting out of the SXRD buisness they had to throw them a bone!

How about a CES where they show everything the Japanese have that we don't?

·
Registered
4,590 Posts
You could say that about every CES year. Why do people expect that Electronic Wizards are going wave to their wands and conjure up astonishing new technology every year. Most developments tend to be year to year incremental improvements of existing technology.

What was so great about last year's CES compared to this year's?

·
Registered
256 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I thought HDMI 1.3 and the larger flat sets last year was pretty dam cool, the OLED from Sony was damn cool too. The 1080P projectors from JVC, there was quite a bit last year. In receiver HD audio processing was new ......

This year was Bill G's lame swan song and some squids running around with a TV-B-GONE. I suppose no trade show lasts forever, COMDEX, E3, and I think even C-bit is having a hard go of it now.

·
Premium Member
2,316 Posts
I'm curious about the LCoS showing this year. Is that technology essentially dead?

·
Registered
432 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Artwood /forum/post/12959801

How about a CES where a satellite or cable company offers ZERO compression on all of its channels and 1080p Broadcast becomes a reality--screw the current standards!

You know why you won't see that?

Bandwidth

·
Registered
5,088 Posts

Quote:

Get real. You'll need to wait 25 years on that.

I also love your wacky "kill HD DVD to sell more Blu Ray" conspiracy. Keep them coming we need a laugh

·
Registered
351 Posts
Yeah, it did seem lackluster. Not much of interest to me except for the new Panasonic plasmas. The most irritating thing was that the CES coverage spent too much time and detail on junk like phones and iPod accessories than they did on the few items of note,

·
Registered
165 Posts
I've been going the the CES every year for the past 15 years with the exception of one. There can't be big tech innovations year after year. It seems like about every 3rd or 4th year is kind of an "off" year for any WOW factor. I agree that 2008 was one of those "off" years.

·
Registered
718 Posts

Quote:

Worst CES in history!

Pioneer and Panasonic a little bit better--everything else either pie in the sky or years down the road!

You know why you won't see that? As long as broadcast ANYTHING isn't TRUE 1080p then hollywood can sell more 1080p discs!

The only real reason you have Pioneer Plasma and Panasonic Plasma gettong better is they figure with sets that are that good people won't want to watch crappy broadcast TV and will buy discs.

They figure they needed to Kill off HD-DVD so that they could sell more Blue-Rays--they didn't want a long Beta versus VHS war and since Sony was getting out of the SXRD buisness they had to throw them a bone!

How about a CES where they show everything the Japanese have that we don't?

Who are they?

·
Registered
126 Posts
Seriously??

I know you made an exception of Pioneer, but CES had a plasma that essentially ended the contrast ratio game with a silver bullet...

That is frankly a HUGE step if you ask me...what is Pioneer gonna do for packaging, just print a giant infinity symbol on their box?

Way to paint yourselves into a corner there...

·
Registered
4,849 Posts
I predict that the same wonderous Pioneers at te next CES will continue to cost 10 trillion dollars!

Has anyone ever contemplated delivering video with ZERO compression?

Is it harder to do than land a man on the moon?

Has anyone ever contemplated BROADCASTING one solitary station in the entire known universe at 1080p?

Would it blow the universe up?

Do you think the Japanese geniuses and the Pioneer geniuses could do it?

If they could do THAT--then I'd be impressed.

Frankly having a better picture than LCD is nothing to brag about--who couldn't do that?

Basically folks we're looking at Pioneer the greatest--Panasonic half way decent--and every other thing in the world just sucking!

The only thing you can really bet on is MORE compression and 10 zillion channels that SUCK!

I'm glad JFK didn't live to see it!

What is the current frontier--1080i and 720p compressed down to barely better than DVD?

SACD and DVD-Audio DEAD?

And MP3 players with zillions of songs that sound worse than pocket transistor radios in the early 60s--and people actually PAY for that garbage?

I'm sorry but I'm not BLOWN AWAY!

Maybe I'm just like Jack Nicholson in that movie where he never can get off!

·
Registered
5,088 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Artwood /forum/post/12963453

I predict that the same wonderous Pioneers at te next CES will continue to cost 10 trillion dollars!

Has anyone ever contemplated BROADCASTING one solitary station in the entire known universe at 1080p?

Frankly having a better picture than LCD is nothing to brag about--who couldn't do that?

Basically folks we're looking at Pioneer the greatest--Panasonic half way decent--and every other thing in the world just sucking!

The only thing you can really bet on is MORE compression and 10 zillion channels that SUCK!

What is the current frontier--1080i and 720p compressed down to barely better than DVD?

SACD and DVD-Audio DEAD?

And MP3 players with zillions of songs that sound worse than pocket transistor radios in the early 60s--and people actually PAY for that garbage?

Art, your spaceship is waiting and don't forget your tin foil hat.

·
Registered
4,590 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Artwood /forum/post/12963453

SACD and DVD-Audio DEAD?

Wow!. Tears rolling down my face. Have not laughed this hard in a long time. Thanks Art. I though I was an old fart, until I read your rant. Go chase those darn whippersnapper kids off of your lawn.

I especially love how you found the bright side in the murder of JFK.

Thanks Art. You are a national treasure.

·
Registered
256 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I wish the thread owner could delete posts.

As per the topic, I have been hoping to see AUO 65 inch glass, or CMO showing some large glass, but nada on both counts. I was expecting much more 4k hype on the high end as well. I guess the sweet spot for manufacturing is 50-ish right now and what sells the most (lots of new 50-ish production going online).

No new products from LG and no refreshes from Samsung it seems like plasma is slowing down just like LCOS (bummed out about no new JVC or Sony sets). Plasma still takes top spot for me, if I buy this year it will be a Kuro or a Panny.

·
Premium Member
18,307 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by stradaONE8 /forum/post/12965936

haha @ tin foil hat...classic

I often wear a tin foil hat to prevent the aliens from stealing my thoughts

1 - 20 of 40 Posts