AVS Forum banner
1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Not sure where to start aside from saying this whole set up is quite complicated to me as I've never had and audio system set up before. I guess I'll start with the Panel and closet for all the equipments.

-----------------------------------------

Here is my panel. I have hooked up all the available ethernet cords and any of the cable hookups I need. You can see the router and moden. From some research this is my telephone/video panel( http://www.homenetworkgear.com/catal...BFA2C&pid=1207 ).

What is confusing me here is to me everything looks like Cat5e wires accept from the cable wires. Some have to be for the phone right?

---------------------

Here is my closet which is probably what I'm lost on the most. I'm really not sure what kind of receiver or equipment I need.

Here is overall closet.

These four wires hook up six speakers(Porch 2, Bedroom 2, Bath 1, Dining 1).

These hookups are familiar and pretty straight forward to me. It does seem like a lot to hook up to one receiver though.

These three wires hook up the living room. The two wires hook up the four speakers and the one wire(red/white) hooks up to the center speaker. 10 banana clips seem like a lot. When I've looked at receivers I'm not sure how I'd hook all these up along with the others.

------------

Attic. I tried to follow some wires and came across two interesting things. I'm not sure what either really do. I do know that I was told the house is wired to run Satelitte also so they could be related to that.

-------------------

Living room set up. Behind the TV is one of my main problems. As you see there are no audio hookups(the one audio wire coming out goes to the speaker above TV) and no HDMI outlet. So it appears I have no way to run sound back to the closet or HD signal. On an interesting side note none of the Cat5e outlets work for internet. I'm not sure if they are some of the wiring that isn't finished in the closet. I've also read that you can run sound and HD video over Cat5e? Can someone rule my setup out for that as an option?

What seems strange is this house was built in 2007 but it appears HD TV was not taken into account at all.

--------------------

Bedroom wall plate for reference.

--------------------

Bonus room. This is actually upstairs and far removed from everything else. I have tested the four speakers and they work but there is a lot of additional wiring that I'm not sure what it's good for.

This is wall plate 1 that nothing seems to work on.

Wall plate number two has ethernet and cable working. I've also got the speakers to work. I assume I just need a 5.1 system for this set up?

Thanks for any help you can provide me with. My main issues is the closet and what equipment I really need for all the audio hookups. I guess I'm going to need to run an HDMI cable from the closet to the TV that is above fireplace so I can keep all the equipment in the closet.

·
Registered
10,871 Posts
Ok, a few things to get you started:

>> What seems strange is this house was built in 2007 but it appears HD TV was not taken into account at all.

Not a surprise at all...

And yes, you can run HD over Cat5 cables. It's cheaper/easier if you have 2 Cat5 cables to handle everything including IR, but there are solutions for one cable.

The 10 banana plugs is the right number for a 5-channel speaker system. Sounds like they were running a surround receiver in that closet, which perhaps had a zone 2 / zone 3 output as well. Or they may have had a separate multi-room amplifier for those other zones. If there's just volume controls (?) in those other locations, then it was just a simple amplifier setup. If the volume controls are impedence matching (you'll have to identify the brand/model for us), you can run all of those speakers off of any simple stereo amp.

The in-line amp you see on the coax in the attic is a signal amplifier, usually for an OTA antenna, although that one is for a satellite dish. There must be a long coax run to the dish location, or they were having other signal issues... The power supply you found is remotely powering that amplifier over the coax. This is done because you want to amplify the signal as close to the dish/antenna (before cable losses), and there's rarely a power outlet there (attic or outside).

The coax and cat5 wires were likely not punched down back in the closet so that the homeowner could use them for "whatever" later. You'll probably have to terminate them yourself to get wired Ethernet to work. Whenever you see more than 1 coax outlet, its likely for satellite. Using them for cable is no problem, just have to figure out which ones are which and hook the right ones in the closet to a splitter (try to use as few drops as you need to keep the cable signal viable).

Do yourself a favor and buy a signal tracer for coax/cat5 so you can identify each wire and then label it!

There - that's a start!

Jeff

·
Registered
263 Posts
do you know.... is there conduit?

if there is you can run more wires.....

the using CAT5 to carry HDMI and such is a great/the best way...

nice job at taking pics... and good looking house

·
Registered
6,147 Posts
Cat5e could be used to transmit IR and other control signals, they are used for telephone, and they can carry line-level audio signals.

The ethernet cables in the enclosure have something written on them in Sharpie, as do the coax cables. Cables may be color coded, by location and function.

Might be a good exercise to get a copy of your house plans, from the builder or town, and draw the locations of the cables. Digital copy would be easiest. May be a good idea to get the plans anyway, even if you don't draw on them.

Can you ask the former owner for advice?

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by jautor /forum/post/18126643

Ok, a few things to get you started:

>> What seems strange is this house was built in 2007 but it appears HD TV was not taken into account at all.

Not a surprise at all...

And yes, you can run HD over Cat5 cables. It's cheaper/easier if you have 2 Cat5 cables to handle everything including IR, but there are solutions for one cable.

The 10 banana plugs is the right number for a 5-channel speaker system. Sounds like they were running a surround receiver in that closet, which perhaps had a zone 2 / zone 3 output as well. Or they may have had a separate multi-room amplifier for those other zones. If there's just volume controls (?) in those other locations, then it was just a simple amplifier setup. If the volume controls are impedence matching (you'll have to identify the brand/model for us), you can run all of those speakers off of any simple stereo amp.

The in-line amp you see on the coax in the attic is a signal amplifier, usually for an OTA antenna, although that one is for a satellite dish. There must be a long coax run to the dish location, or they were having other signal issues... The power supply you found is remotely powering that amplifier over the coax. This is done because you want to amplify the signal as close to the dish/antenna (before cable losses), and there's rarely a power outlet there (attic or outside).

The coax and cat5 wires were likely not punched down back in the closet so that the homeowner could use them for "whatever" later. You'll probably have to terminate them yourself to get wired Ethernet to work. Whenever you see more than 1 coax outlet, its likely for satellite. Using them for cable is no problem, just have to figure out which ones are which and hook the right ones in the closet to a splitter (try to use as few drops as you need to keep the cable signal viable).

Do yourself a favor and buy a signal tracer for coax/cat5 so you can identify each wire and then label it!

There - that's a start!

Jeff

If the wall plates have ethernet ports wouldn't that mean it's not set up for HD?

There are just volume controls. This picture shows an extra button(the bedroom has an additional surround sound set up in the wall and I assume this switches between the two).

Is this the kind of amplifier you are talking about? Seems like there aren't many that have enough inputs for me.
http://www.amazon.com/OSD-Audio-Comp...067537&sr=1-41

The amplifier does run out to the roof and then I can't follow it anymore so that makes sense. I also know while I don't have satellite it is wired for it.

The coaxial cables are really the only thing I have worked out. Those are straight forward and labeled well. Most of the other wires are labled well but it's the few that aren't of course that are a mystery.

This looks like a good tester.
http://www.amazon.com/TRENDnet-Cable...ref=pd_sim_e_2

Thanks for your help.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adidas4275 /forum/post/18126986

do you know.... is there conduit?

if there is you can run more wires.....

the using CAT5 to carry HDMI and such is a great/the best way...

nice job at taking pics... and good looking house

Thanks. The wires are run in together and just clamped down in the attic. Adding more wires won't be very easy. Can you rule out that the current wiring of Cat5e is not for HDMI?

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neurorad /forum/post/18127022

Cat5e could be used to transmit IR and other control signals, they are used for telephone, and they can carry line-level audio signals.

The ethernet cables in the enclosure have something written on them in Sharpie, as do the coax cables. Cables may be color coded, by location and function.

Might be a good exercise to get a copy of your house plans, from the builder or town, and draw the locations of the cables. Digital copy would be easiest. May be a good idea to get the plans anyway, even if you don't draw on them.

Can you ask the former owner for advice?

The majority are labeled pretty well. I guess my confusion is coming from what is for the phone and what is for internet. I'll need to look behind the wall plates again because I've yet to figure out a pattern with the colors. I guess it would have to be by location(if it is at all) considering there are phone and ethernet that are the same color.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by sold /forum/post/18127135

These would be my guesses:

This is very helpful, thanks.

In regards to your questions about where the cables come and go. They come in from the top right with all the others. Where the go i don't know. I guess I need to find out where they go along with the ones in the closet.

Demark, Right of fireplace, Stack, and the other is not labled.

·
Registered
63 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by GatorNation81 /forum/post/18127799

Is this the kind of amplifier you are talking about?

Regarding amplifiers, the best way to do it would probably be a 5.1 receiver e.g. http://www.us.onkyo.com/model.cfm?m=...s=Receiver&p=i and a multizone amp e.g. http://www.htd.com/amplifiers/DMA-1240 (there's a million different brands/models/pricepoints available for each and it depends on exactly what you want to do as to what's best, but that gives you an idea of the kind of things you would use)

There are other ways of doing it, depends on how it is wired/how much you want to spend/what you want to achieve.

Some more rambling thoughts on the wiring:

Some of the Cat5 in the closet may run to TV in order to run video over it (if this is the case you could do HDMI). It could also be for an IR extender.

Bedroom wall plates I would assume are a Phone + Network + TV.

The ideal thing to do (though realise it may not be practical) would be work out where everything comes/goes and put a wiring diagram up on here (even if it's basic back of the napkin style). That way everyone knows exactly what you have to work with where.

EDIT (makes some of the above questions redundant):

Brainwave...not sure why I didn't see it before :/

There a three coax in the closet, these should be for component video and will run to the three coax behind the TV.

The same will apply for the for the bonus room I'd imagine, with the three coax on wall plate 2 being the input and the others speaker connection. The three coax on wall plate 1 will then be connected to the TV. The speaker cable on wall plate 1 is for the centre speaker in the 5.1 setup (with the rest being in wall I'm assuming as is the case with the living room).

This really only leaves the Cat5 in the closet as a mystery.

Sorry if the above is a little messy, wrote it in bits and pieces as it came to me.

·
Registered
5,313 Posts
FYI, they make products like RJ45 cable testers with detachable remotes,so you can plug one end into each side of a cable run so you can map out what goes where. Those things are cheap but priceless,so you can map out your house to see what goes where.

·
Registered
6,147 Posts
I think Sold gets a gold star for this.

GatorNation, read the Linksys router/switch manual, it will explain the LAN setup.

Only the RJ45 wallplate ports connected to the router/switch should be working.

Use a cheap phone to figure out the telephone layout - plug it into every RJ45 outlet (RJ11 fits into RJ45) to 'ring out' the ethernet cables used for phone.

·
Registered
6,147 Posts
Yes, agreed, a 'tone and probe' kit would be useful to help 'ring out' the cables.

Just don't start buying a bunch of testing tools you might not use.

·
Registered
5,313 Posts
Dumb question - How do those differ from remote LAN testers?

Ie, i have one where I plug one end into an RJ45 port in one room of my house, then hook the other end up to the network switch where that cable terminates, and it tells me if all the wires are connected.

·
Registered
6,147 Posts
These 'tone and probe' kits can be used for any cable (coax, ethernet (phone or LAN), speaker wires), and you don't have to have the cable terminated (unlike the cheap LAN tester that I have).

I see the pic of the punched down ethernet cables above (into the phone distribution thing) - I'd hate to have to re-terminate those cables to figure out where they go, using a LAN tester.

I'd skip the purchase of the LAN tester, unless 1. a terminated ethernet cable doesn't work, 2. you're OCD, 3. you want to make sure the cables work before putting up drywall, or 4. you just love to buy **** you don't need. I bought a LAN tester for all 4 reasons.

Edit - HD/Lowes have relatively cheap testing tools.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by sold /forum/post/18127989

Regarding amplifiers, the best way to do it would probably be a 5.1 receiver e.g. http://www.us.onkyo.com/model.cfm?m=...s=Receiver&p=i and a multizone amp e.g. http://www.htd.com/amplifiers/DMA-1240 (there's a million different brands/models/pricepoints available for each and it depends on exactly what you want to do as to what's best, but that gives you an idea of the kind of things you would use)

There are other ways of doing it, depends on how it is wired/how much you want to spend/what you want to achieve.

Some more rambling thoughts on the wiring:

Some of the Cat5 in the closet may run to TV in order to run video over it (if this is the case you could do HDMI). It could also be for an IR extender.

Bedroom wall plates I would assume are a Phone + Network + TV.

The ideal thing to do (though realise it may not be practical) would be work out where everything comes/goes and put a wiring diagram up on here (even if it's basic back of the napkin style). That way everyone knows exactly what you have to work with where.

EDIT (makes some of the above questions redundant):

Brainwave...not sure why I didn't see it before :/

There a three coax in the closet, these should be for component video and will run to the three coax behind the TV.

The same will apply for the for the bonus room I'd imagine, with the three coax on wall plate 2 being the input and the others speaker connection. The three coax on wall plate 1 will then be connected to the TV. The speaker cable on wall plate 1 is for the centre speaker in the 5.1 setup (with the rest being in wall I'm assuming as is the case with the living room).

This really only leaves the Cat5 in the closet as a mystery.

Sorry if the above is a little messy, wrote it in bits and pieces as it came to me.

So I'm guessing the three coax in rooms means I can stream the same channel all over the house? To me that is kind of useless. We probably won't get a home phone as we just use our cells so that set up won't really be an advantage to us.

Like many have said I'll have to get a tester to tell which are phone and Ethernet for the Cat5 wiring. Your pictures are a great help, thanks.

Also the extra wire in the bonus must be for the middle speaker like you said, I wasn't putting that together before you mentioned it.

1 - 20 of 42 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.