Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
489 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Here's the scenario:

Just moved into a house in Old Orchard Beach, Maine and it's had both DirecTV and cable, so we asked Time Warner to switch off our cable a month ago.

When we took occupancy of the residence, I noticed that if I plugged the coax directly into the TV we'd pick up like 40 channels; local stations, A&E, MTV, etc (no HBO or Showtime) and I thought that it was cool to have this even though we asked TW to switch us off. My kids have a TV in their room so it was nice to have some programming for them.

Well, today I turned on the cable and it's nothing but fuzz. Not jagged lines or a distorted, scrambled signal....just fuzz.

My question is: is this what normally would happen when you turn off Time Warner Cable in Maine? Would you keep some channels for awhile and then they're gone? Or do I have a physical problem (ie a bad wire) that I can fix myself and continue getting the service I'm getting?

I ask because I'm not seeing the typical distorted signal (lets you know you're connected to cable but are scrambled) and instead are seeing something that looks like it's not even turned on.

If someone could let me know before I call them and re-up for service I'd appreciate it.

TIA

·
Registered
2,134 Posts
The physical disconnect has been completed per your request. Normal.

Quote:
If someone could let me know before I call them and re-up for service I'd appreciate it.
You were perfectly happy watching it for free? :mad:

Brian

·
Registered
489 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I don't see any evidence of a physical disconnect. All wires in and around the home are intact, the wires in the TW junction box (splitters, etc) aren't cut and the wire coming from the pole seems to be uncut as well.

I'm asking not because I'm trying to get it for free again.....just want to know if its as simple as throwing a switch to get me back up immediately or if a housecall is needed to undo whatever they did this morning.

TIA

·
Registered
3,351 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by boltjames
I don't see any evidence of a physical disconnect. All wires in and around the home are intact, the wires in the TW junction box (splitters, etc) aren't cut and the wire coming from the pole seems to be uncut as well.

TIA
What were you doing messing around in the TW junction box? Its supposed to be locked to prevent customer access...

WIth analog cable systems, yes there are still a few, when it is shut off, you get snow...In the other case you are referring to, that hasnt been shut off, thats just a scrambled signal...

SO you asked them to turn it off, typically they will send out a truck out at their leisure, like when they have a service call or hookup in the area, so its not always done right away. Now, when they do make it out, now you want it back on? Why didnt you just order it in the first place, instead of passively stealing it?

·
Registered
2,134 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by boltjames

I'm asking not because I'm trying to get it for free again.....just want to know if its as simple as throwing a switch to get me back up immediately or if a housecall is needed to undo whatever they did this morning.

TIA
There is most likely a terminator between the tap port and the drop. Anything you do now makes it actively stealing. Make the call, pay the fees.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.