AVS Forum banner
1 - 20 of 47 Posts

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My recent inquiry about a Yamaha receiver locally got me thinking....since after that, I was thinking the dvd player would also get updated to a BR player. But I read something online that got me thinking....

>My recent response in Receivers
end response

·
Registered
603 Posts
I dunno. To me the dedicated CD player became effectively obsolete because nearly everyone also had a DVD/Blu-ray player. Certainly BD-capable game consoles will make dedicated movie players redundant in the households that have them, but there are still plenty of households that don't (and probably have no intention of getting them), so there's still a market for dedicated Blu-ray players. Also, there's always the possibility that future game consoles will drop optical drives in favor of other storage media and streaming.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
From lovinthehd - - I use a PS3 for my bluray/dvd/cd player in my main setup. I play GT5 once in a while but that's about it as far as games go. I doubt I'll ever convert to just streaming services due to quality and reliability and access issues, but will use them as is convenient.

This is what I see, a backup so to speak, in regards to the streaming. I stopped gaming at GT3, need a steering/pedal set up. Never got past a PS2...but I do have a Wii for the downstairs set-up, although I have DSL, so speed is suffering netflix-wise. I've seen many people state the PS3 is the best buffer for that, don't know that firsthand though.

CatBus also makes an excellent point regarding the CD player....this is kind of where I think the blu-ray might go, although game consoles may not be for everyone, perhaps the blu-ray player market will just shrink way down. I just want to upgrade the upstairs system, and have it be somewhat 'upgrade resistant' for several years without spending a small fortune. [get in line right?]

And all this coming from a guy who doesn't own [or want] a cell phone, or have cable TV.

·
Banned
16,232 Posts
The PS3 Netflix application had/has more features than many other players, too plus is a nice easy way to record streaming purchases from Amazon or Vudu. I use a cable internet and hardwire connection to the PS3, was having some issues with wireless just about the same time Netflix came out with their Super HD and "open connect" demands of the ISPs and was wireless before that. I have used another BD player in my bedroom for Netflix, but do have occasional internet issues mostly because it's further away from my router. The PS3 I have (slim 160gb) is quite a good player, but doesn't do SACD like some of the older units did so I use an older dvd player for those. The PS3 downside for a player is it can be a bit noisy.

Oh, I do have a wheel and pedal setup, can't play a driving game with those stupid stock hand held controllers !

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
"The PS3 Netflix application had/has more features than many other players, too plus is a nice easy way to record streaming purchases from Amazon or Vudu."

*This is something I'd lean towards, which tips the scales towards the BR industry shrinking, unless BR players are already capable of this? I'm assuming they are, but are they also 'smart' like TV's w/apps?

"I use a cable internet and hardwire connection to the PS3, was having some issues with wireless just about the same time Netflix came out with their Super HD and "open connect" demands of the ISPs and was wireless before that."

*I have my Wii wired directly, damn ethernet cable on the floor, oh well, the vac. doesn't pick it up.[The future upstairs will have to be wireless]

I already have a good wireless signal for upstairs from the router.

"The PS3 I have (slim 160gb) is quite a good player, but doesn't do SACD like some of the older units did so I use an older dvd player for those. The PS3 downside for a player is it can be a bit noisy."

*How does the PS3 do with buffering netflix? And, if it doesn't play SACD's, I'll assume it can play a flashdrive for music....but probably NOT wma files. My sony TV's will find them, but not play them! Argh! Stupid sony! Have you noticed any buffering situations with your BR player?

"Oh, I do have a wheel and pedal setup, can't play a driving game with those stupid stock hand held controllers!"

*Tell me which type and if you like it! I HATE the handheld for racing! Racing is really the only video type games I play.

·
Banned
16,232 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by nightrain383  /t/1472187/just-mulling-it-over-is-the-blu-ray-on-the-way-out-vs-game-consoles#post_23303630

*Tell me which type and if you like it! I HATE the handheld for racing! Racing is really the only video type games I play.

One of these http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B002V3KOMS/ref=oh_details_o03_s00_i00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

plus one of these http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0015HYPOO/ref=oh_details_o04_s00_i00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

As far as buffering, have nothing to compare to to say if it's the internet connection or the specific player/app combo, never an issue with a BR disc though. Never tried a flash drive in the PS3.

·
Registered
544 Posts
Optical media is dead. The ps4 will only have read only bluray for authenticating that you do not have pirated software. If you have a wired lan with a 50Mbps connection then you will be able to take full advantages of 4k streaming from Sony for PS4. I consult to Sony for could computing and the broadcast industry.

Wait for PS4.

·
Registered
3,842 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by nrc2112  /t/1472187/just-mulling-it-over-is-the-blu-ray-on-the-way-out-vs-game-consoles#post_23339788

Optical media is dead.

Not at my house, where quality is of the utmost importance.

·
Registered
544 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by oztech  /t/1472187/just-mulling-it-over-is-the-blu-ray-on-the-way-out-vs-game-consoles#post_23359583

Same here.

In my house my system is just as good or better than most home theaters. And I have had blind tests done where professional calibrators for audio and video systems cannot tell if it is bluray or Apple TV.

·
Registered
29,109 Posts

Quote:
Optical media is dead. The ps4 will only have read only bluray for authenticating that you do not have pirated software. If you have a wired lan with a 50Mbps connection then you will be able to take full advantages of 4k streaming from Sony for PS4. I consult to Sony for could computing and the broadcast industry.

Wait for PS4.

I don't know where you live but not many people have 50mb download speeds.

And if you're not a gamer at all spending the extra dollars on a PS3 or PS4 would be a waste of money. I got my Pansonic 200 for $79, doubt you'll find a PS3 or PS4 for that price.

·
Registered
7,608 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by nrc2112  /t/1472187/just-mulling-it-over-is-the-blu-ray-on-the-way-out-vs-game-consoles#post_23359742

In my house my system is just as good or better than most home theaters. And I have had blind tests done where professional calibrators for audio and video systems cannot tell if it is bluray or Apple TV.
I have an ATV3 and yes the picture quality is great but the BR version of the movie is better not a night and day difference but it is slightly better.

·
Registered
544 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by afrogt  /t/1472187/just-mulling-it-over-is-the-blu-ray-on-the-way-out-vs-game-consoles#post_23360437

I don't know where you live but not many people have 50mb download speeds.

And if you're not a gamer at all spending the extra dollars on a PS3 or PS4 would be a waste of money. I got my Pansonic 200 for $79, doubt you'll find a PS3 or PS4 for that price.
Your correct. I would not buy any gaming system. Here in DC Northern Virginia most homes have 75 to 150 FIOS speeds as the average.

·
Registered
544 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by oztech  /t/1472187/just-mulling-it-over-is-the-blu-ray-on-the-way-out-vs-game-consoles#post_23360461

I have an ATV3 and yes the picture quality is great but the BR version of the movie is better not a night and day difference but it is slightly better.
Thanks for the truth. From 10 feet away it is very hard for me to tell the difference and I do not need to archive any shiny disks. I am very happy with my setup. Apple TV 3 gt50 panny and SONOS playbar and sub.

·
Registered
7,608 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by nrc2112  /t/1472187/just-mulling-it-over-is-the-blu-ray-on-the-way-out-vs-game-consoles#post_23362647

Thanks for the truth. From 10 feet away it is very hard for me to tell the difference and I do not need to archive any shiny disks. I am very happy with my setup. Apple TV 3 gt50 panny and SONOS playbar and sub.
I use the ATV3 for rentals on movies I am pretty sure will be a one time viewing on movies such as Iron man and Avatar they are on BR as I still like watching them again.

·
Registered
3,842 Posts
nrc2112, no wonder you can't see a difference.

Try watching on a +100 foot screen. Also, try a 7.1 surround system instead of a soundbar.

·
Registered
544 Posts
Lol. Hundred foot screen. That's funny. Go to your local Magnolia store and demo my system. The SONOS play bar and sub connected to ATV3 and a Panasonic plasma.

I promise you that you will eat these words.

·
Registered
1,235 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by nrc2112  /t/1472187/just-mulling-it-over-is-the-blu-ray-on-the-way-out-vs-game-consoles#post_23364272

Lol. Hundred foot screen. That's funny. Go to your local Magnolia store and demo my system. The SONOS play bar and sub connected to ATV3 and a Panasonic plasma.

I promise you that you will eat these words.

So let me get this straight, you're saying optical media is dead because your soundbar has maxed out BD's lossless audio offerings....and professional calibrators can't tell the difference in sound between streaming audio and BD audio, on your soundbar? And your soundbar is better than most home theater setups? Seriously?

·
Banned
16,232 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by nrc2112  /t/1472187/just-mulling-it-over-is-the-blu-ray-on-the-way-out-vs-game-consoles#post_23362647

Quote:
Originally Posted by oztech  /t/1472187/just-mulling-it-over-is-the-blu-ray-on-the-way-out-vs-game-consoles#post_23360461

You really think sound is acceptable with that setup? I wouldn't use that Sonos stuff except maybe in a bathroom. You like listening to music and watching movies on a phone too?

1 - 20 of 47 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.