AVS Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Now im new to this and wasn't really sure if this is were i should post this but i am attempting to build my first 5.1 system and wanted to make sure everything is up to scratch and work well together. I'm not sure if this is true or not but i remember reading somewhere that if you dont have speakers that are of the same brand you may run into a timing problem or something with the speakers that is the only reason i picked all Polk equipment. I am looking to spend around 1000 or less but here is what i have picked out. Any and all suggestions are greatly appreciated.


Polk Audio TSi CS20 - center channel speaker

Polk Audio TSi 300 - Floor speaker

Polk Audio PSW10 Subwoofer

Polk Monitor 30 Satellite

Sony STR-DG920 A/V Receiver


I suppose i should mention that it will be used for about 80% movies and 20% music also the room is about 10X15 sqr ft room
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,575 Posts
Here a suggestion:


- KEF iQ1, 2 pair at $200/pair from Vann's

- KEF iQ2, $150 from Vann's

- PA-120 sub, $230 on eBay


$780 for a decent 5.1 (if you can afford more go fo an SVS PB10-NSD, $429 plus shipping, or HSU STF-2 sub, $385 delivered).


For an AVR:


- if your Blu-ray does the decoding - Marantz 4002 for $300 from accessories4les

- decode in receiver, Onkyo 606 for $390 from Vann's
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,379 Posts
Nothing wrong with that set-up as long as you audition them and like them. Chances are......you are better off going with a SVS or HSU sub. Don't go cheap on subwoofer, especially for HT. If it was my budget, I would rather go a different route like the Infinity P362 or Polk RTi8 at frys(unless you can get the TSi for the same price) and add the money saved to get a better sub. Or stick with the TSi and increase my budget for a good sub.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,683 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by g0ldfishcrackers /forum/post/15512003


but i remember reading somewhere that if you dont have speakers that are of the same brand you may run into a timing problem

It's called timbre matching - ensuring that audio material coming out of each speaker sounds exactly the same by utilizing the same components in each speaker.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete7874 /forum/post/15512582


It's called timbre matching - ensuring that audio material coming out of each speaker sounds exactly the same by utilizing the same components in each speaker.

So does that mean that i have to get speakers of the same brand? If i dont could i get the Polk RTi8 for the front two and the KEF iQ1 for the satellite? Also i thought it was better to spend more on the front three because thats where the majority of music and voices come through so you could get better front three speakers instead of satellite.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
194 Posts
you want to have the front three speakers from the same. that way as sound moves from left to right it sounds the same. the rears to do not have to be the same at all. I would recommend that you spend more on a subwoofer even if it means saving more money. you have the smallest sub that pollk makes, and polk subs are not that great. look into the bic h100 or a hsu sub.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
16,963 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by g0ldfishcrackers /forum/post/15517941


Also i thought it was better to spend more on the front three because thats where the majority of music and voices come through so you could get better front three speakers instead of satellite.

Generally, this is true, especially for movie listening, and especially when on a tight budget. You may even want to consider a 3.1 setup for now and forgoing the surround speakers until later.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Ok well after looking into all of your guys input i came up with this new set up and i want to see what you guys think.


Infinity Primus P362 - L/R speakers

Infinity Beta C360 - center

Polk Monitor 30 - satellite (unless you know a better pair for around the same price)

Bic h100 - sub

Sony STR-DG920 A/V Receiver (i have been reading reviews on the the 606 and they say the DG920 has better upconversion capabilities but you guys know more im sure so straighten me out if im wrong.)


this comes to a total around 1200 a little more then i would like but hey might as well get what i want right?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
260 Posts
Any reason why you would go with the Beta center over the Primus Center? The Primus C350 is the matching center for the 362's.


But, strangely enough I have my 362's paired with a Beta center because of space issues. They aren't perfectly timbre matched which is a turn-off for some, but they work well together. Harmon Kardon has an eBay store which has a lot of Primus speakers, you can save a lot of money buying from there.


Go with the Onkyo receiver over the Sony.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,379 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by g0ldfishcrackers /forum/post/15520270


Ok well after looking into all of your guys input i came up with this new set up and i want to see what you guys think.


Infinity Primus P362 - L/R speakers

Infinity Beta C360 - center

Polk Monitor 30 - satellite (unless you know a better pair for around the same price)

Bic h100 - sub

Sony STR-DG920 A/V Receiver (i have been reading reviews on the the 606 and they say the DG920 has better upconversion capabilities but you guys know more im sure so straighten me out if im wrong.)


this comes to a total around 1200 a little more then i would like but hey might as well get what i want right?

I would stick to the Infinity Primus PC350. I got it at Harmon Audio at Ebay for $125+shipping. The Infinity Primus at Frys.com went back up to normal price. Check back every Fridays (thats when Frys have their sale starts).


BIC sub would be the cheapest subwoofer I would go with.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Myke256 /forum/post/15520441


Any reason why you would go with the Beta center over the Primus Center? The Primus C350 is the matching center for the 362's.


But, strangely enough I have my 362's paired with a Beta center because of space issues. They aren't perfectly timbre matched which is a turn-off for some, but they work well together. Harmon Kardon has an eBay store which has a lot of Primus speakers, you can save a lot of money buying from there.


Go with the Onkyo receiver over the Sony.

To be honest i didnt even see the C350 i must have missed it... but now that i see it i would get that instead. What is the difference between beta center and regular anyways?


I think what i am going to do is purchase the front three speakers and the 606 at once. then when money permits i am going to buy the HSU STF-2 sub and satellite speakers later on. That Harmon Audio store on ebay is great you can get the center speaker for almost $50 less. thanks!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
100 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by calnbs /forum/post/15512295


Nothing wrong with that set-up as long as you audition them and like them. Chances are......you are better off going with a SVS or HSU sub. Don't go cheap on subwoofer, especially for HT. If it was my budget, I would rather go a different route like the Infinity P362 or Polk RTi8 at frys(unless you can get the TSi for the same price) and add the money saved to get a better sub. Or stick with the TSi and increase my budget for a good sub.

well cheap doesnt mean its crap. I owned a mirage s10 which is around $500 bucks and just recently acquired pa120 for 229 at ebay and the pa-120 to me outperform the mirage s10 at $229 rated at 650 watts with 12 inch driver you cant go wrong with this sub. expensive doesnt mean its a good sub. mirage s10 is also a good sub and have been happy with it. But after i tried the pa-120 im glad i did and will probably not buy another sub around 500 as long as the pa-120 still sells for this price.
 
1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Top