AVS Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm in the process of building my basement. It's just a normal basement build that includes a giant room that will serve as a family room. On side I'll have an entertainment center with a 80" or so tv (a couple 50s for football, too). It's not a dedicated theatre room so acoustics could be a challenge but I'm not looking to get crazy here. I don't have a budget but would spend whatever seems to be the best value. I'll mostly watch sports and movies but some music listening would be happening as well. Simply put, I want a decent sounding surround. Could cost under a grand or 3 to 4k...doesn't matter but I'm not going to get crazy caring about small differences in sound quality. What's my best option here when comes to value? I'm not against building my own speakers as the fronts will fit into the custom entertainment center anyway with the rears in the ceiling. I'd also be fine buying a 'in a box' system if someone recommended it. Just not sure what way to go or even where money is well versus not well spent.

Thanks.

·
Registered
900 Posts
I would say spend $1,500 on a sub, $500 on A/V receiver, the rest on speakers (don't know the room layout so can't say whether 5 speakers or 7 speakers are needed).

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Is there value in building your own speakers? And if so, where do you get the components?

1 - 4 of 4 Posts