AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
849 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hoping someone may be able to shed some light on my dismay.

I have a Yamaha RX-V1500 receiver with 2 Paradigm Monitor fronts and 2 Paradigm Titans for Rear. My center channel is the Paradigm CC-370. Its an ok set up the speakers are about middle of the road from whT i know.

Here is what troubles me...

I have to turn my volume to about -24 on the receiver to listen to DVD's at a comfortable level (meaning that I enjoy the sound). I was at a friends place who has the RX-V530 (about 3 years old and less of a receiver than mine form what I know). His volume was about -40 and was considerably louder than my system. He has 4 bookshelf or smaller Acoustic Research Speakers and a small center.

I have run the YPAO before a couple times. I have all teh settings correct from what I can tell.

Is this just the way things are? Should I be concerned. I know that different set-ups are DIFFERent...but I have invested alot fo my money into this system and just want to know what mught be the problem.

Thanks for any help you may be able to give.

J

·
Registered
849 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
NO I agree louder is not better it just concerns me about the equipment differentiations between the 2 systems that his system requires less volume to pump out the power.

·
Registered
80 Posts
I really think the issue here is that your friend just has more "efficient" speakers than you....since they are smaller too...the sensitivity is probably greater also. Perhaps it is impedance? Maybe he has 4 or 6 ohm? Yours are 8 ohms?

What type of DVD player do you have compared to him. Are you using an optical cable? Coaxial? What is he using?

Hope this helps.

·
Registered
164 Posts
Note that the volume scale on different AVR models, even of the same brand, can vary and therefore cannot be compared in terms of sound level. What is however comparable, is by using a sound pressure level (SPL) meter, configure each channel to the same/reference SPL (e.g. 75dB) from the main listening/seating position and essentially ignore the main volume level indicator. Note also that room size, acoustics and speaker placement and quality/efficiency also has a significant impact on the persieved or real sound.

·
Registered
3,880 Posts
meaning that I enjoy the sound

If you enjoy the sound, what's the real problem?

·
Registered
849 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks for the replys guys....

Yes I am going to buy an SPL meter in the next couple weeks to test a few things out.

I am fairly new to audio in a high end sense (ie have not been able to spend money on the fun stuff before). My room size is comparable to his but his in in a basement where as mine is more open with more furniture. You can see my setup in the gallery.

I do enjoy the sound of my system like I said I just want to make sure I do not have something configured improperly. I am used to turning my old stereos up in the past to just about 1/3 volume and having the house shake. Mind you this was back in the day when huge floor standing speakers the size of buicks were all the rage in University.

i don''t mean to sound picky...just liek to get the most out of what i buy.

From what I have read my set up other than the tv is far and above what he has. Its not a case of jealousy just a matter of wanting to get the best bang for my buck.

·
Registered
408 Posts
Those Paradigm speakers you have are excellent. If his is in an unfinished basement there could be a whole lot of reverberent sound that is adding to the volume, but not good to the sound stage. It has also been my experience that really good speakers dont seem as loud as they really are due to the lack of harshness.

·
Registered
849 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Yes that makes sense. I just upgraded to those Monitors from Titans all around. I do notice a difference in loudness. I listen to alot of Hard Rock and play my electric guitar along with it so maybe my hearing has gone to crap who knows.

I am goign to try the SPL meter this weekend I think. You guys have the best froum that I have ever seen I do appreciate the help. I don't mean to sound like a baby about my system.

·
Registered
141 Posts
I typically listen to DVD at around -22db or -20db. -40db is whisper quiet, I never have it that low.

Room size plays a big part too.

·
Registered
849 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I think basically that i may be putting to much on volume levels. I guess I shoudl be too concerned about it til I have to turn my system to 0 to hear it...then there might be a problem.

·
Registered
6,946 Posts
As someone else mentioned, just because you play at -40 or what ever, really means nothing compared to someone else's system unless it is EXACTLY the same system and both systems are calibrated EXACTLY the same.

If it sounds good to you, don't sweat it....

For example, with my setup -40 is barely audible, for bedroom listening in the evening I'm usually around -25 to -22, for movies normally I'm around -10. If in a "party crank it up shake the whole house mode" then sometimes as high as +6. So the point being as I stated earlier, these references really are not too meaningful between different systems since there are soooo many variables.

·
Registered
3,945 Posts
If the sound is fine, but the numbers on the display bother you, put a piece of black electrical tape over the volume readout.

For less than a penny's worth of tape, you'll gain happiness.

Seriously, if you move towards more efficient speakers (like Klipsch) you'll see lower numbers on the volume scale due to their efficiency. You may not like the sound, but the number will definitely be lower.

·
Registered
849 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Hahaha ok I get your guys point. Was a dumb question I guess in the first place hence being new to this whole scene.

·
Registered
50 Posts
As these dudes have correctly observed, Poolshark, the numbers always vary wildly system to system. I also use the 1500 and depending on the DVD (and time of day), my levels are anywhere between -23 and -15. Just enjoy the sound, man; there's nothing wrong with your gear. Cheers.

DS.

·
Registered
505 Posts
Pool,

I checked out your gallery pics. What may help is to shift all your equipment over a little bit so your Left monitor is not being blocked by your couch. If you do this than run the YPAO again from your listening spot.

Good Luck,

·
Registered
688 Posts
I found the equalizer settings performed by YPAO terrible. It sounds as if there's a blanket over my speakers.

I would HIGHLY suggest switching the equalizer option from PEQ to GEQ. I think you will notice a huge difference for the better.

More than likely your friend's speaker levels are set much higher than yours. You simply cannot compare two setups unless it is the same gear in the same room.

·
Registered
27,195 Posts
Forget the numbers, if you enjoy it....Forget the SPL meter too. It isn't gonna change anything unless you are committed to EQ and room treatment. FWIW, I listen to movies at -3 to 0. Doesn't mean a thing.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.