AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
499 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was playing through some DVD's on my CP72 last night and I noticed rolling from bottom to top horizontal lines would appear in the dark loadup screen whenever the player is changing discs or skipping mp3 tracks etc. It appears to be some noise from the internal mechanism because it only does it when chnaging tracks or discs etc and not during playback of any kind. I have it hooked up through the component cables of course. Could this be a ground loop problem of some sort. by the way I have Acoustic Research component cables and it has done the same thing with other cheaer cables so I know it isn't the cable causing because it should be all the time and not during just disc changing and track changing etc. Please check this out on your CP72 and look carefully for it. It isn't a big deal I just want to make sure they all do it so I don't have to send it back. Thanks.

·
Registered
1,005 Posts
This is almost certainly a ground loop problem. Do a search on ground loops on this board or on Google for some good advice on how to deal with it.

Don

·
Registered
499 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Would a ground loop problem just show up out of nowhere if I had the exact same setup, but with my previous JVC XV-S500 DVD player in place of the CP72? By the way I tested the SVideo out and it also has a horizontal line but it was much harder to see then the componen out.

·
Registered
1,005 Posts
Yes, it could. Ground issues are notorious that way. Change a single component (sometimes even a cable) and suddenly you get rolling lines and so forth.

Don

·
Premium Member
190 Posts
I had the exact same problem with my 72, and I am useing AR component cables also. There was no rolling horiz. lines with playback, only during loading of disc, or switching from disc to disc. I took it back to C.C.,and ordered an 82 from Cruthfield. Guess what? No more horiz. lines! Ground loop problem, hmmmmmm?

I suspect it to be an internal problem with the 72, ( but not a big deal), since it is not visible during playback. I really wanted the 82 from the start anyway. But I do agree with the above post, make sure you have a good ground with ALL your av gear.

·
Registered
615 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Colin Goddard
But I do agree with the above post, make sure you have a good ground with ALL your av gear.
Come to think of it, all the AV gear I've ever had only uses two pronged plugs, not grounded plugs. Since a lot of these componets are almost computer equipment theses days (which always use grounded power), why don't AV makers use three-prong plugs to ground the equipment?

·
Registered
499 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I havee determined that this problem does exist in the player. First of all I disconnected the cable line from the cable box and I made sure that the DVD player was plugged into the same surge protector as my Toshiba 57H81 HDTV. I then hooked up the Svideo up to the TV along with the component out from my CP72. I still have the same problem in both 480p through the component output and 480i through the Svideo output. Going through the component output in progressive mode whenever I am for instance playing an MP3 CD, and you see the artist and song name pop up on the main loadup screen I will get this light grayish-white horizontal band across the bottom of the screen and it flashes very quickly and moves half way up the screen within 2 seconds or so and starts the virtually the same process over and over. It primarily does it when changing discs and changing tracks. It is even more noticable when I put a MP3 CD in and let it load up after I change to it. Then when I just let it sit there once it loads the MP3 CD and displays the first track's name on the screen, those grayish-white horizontal bands flash quickly and move from the bottom to the middle of the screen. It is definitely not a ground loop problem outside of the player, but it very might well be one inside it. I also tried it in the bedroom on my 27" Tube TV via the component outputs and it does the same thing there, but of course it isn't as magnified as it is on the 57"! CollinGoddard is that what yours was doing and is that why you exchanged it? Anyone have any thoughts on this? Is it exchange time or do all of these CP72s have a problem like this that is even more maginified through the component outputs then through the 480i SVideo?

·
Registered
48 Posts
I read something similar to this at another forum.

I believe it was traced down to a grounding lead from the board with the component outputs. (please forgive my non sophisticated description, I'm a fool when it comes to anything involving the innards of electronics)

I have a CP72 as well, and haven't noticed any problems. I think even if I did, if it only happened during non-disc playback periods, I wouldn't let it bother me.

·
Premium Member
190 Posts
hurtz777

I can only comment on the playback of a dvd disc only. I never tried to play a MP3 CD. As I stated from my prev. post, I had the exact same problem as you did with the rolling horiz. lines. Did this encourage me to exchange the 72 for the 82? Yes! I personally like a single disc player over a multi disc just for the fact of with less moveing parts, less things can go wrong.

Did I see any pq. difference between the 2 players. No!, except now I have no rolling horiz. lines while the player is loading. Is this such a critical thing? You can only decide that for yourself.

·
Registered
499 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
cspot,

You saw that in the HomeTheater Spot. Some guy said it was a manufacturing problem on the CP72's component output. I am now seriously thinking of of having it exchanged. I just hope that not all CP72s have this improper grounding on the component out. I am pickier then most, and even though it only does during non playback times, it still bothers me that it is there to start with.

·
Registered
499 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
CHall,

Do you have it hooked up to an HDTV that is bigger that is 40" or bigger via component outputs? Will you look at it carefully and try what I observed in my previous post?

·
Registered
673 Posts
I just ordered a cp-72 and am wondering if S-video shows the same problem?

I won't be upgrading my TV in the near future but someday I'll be using component output, so if it doesn't show up on S-video I might take it to a friends house to check if that seems like a good idea.

-Brian

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.