AVS Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
153 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
after all my research, advice, and going crazy on deciding on a sub....i decided to go for the PA-120 sub. My home theater is a huge room and the couple other sub people suggested just seemed toooo big.

I was looking at the HSU but heard/read that it was basically a music sub. Plus shipped, $258, it was almost $100 cheaper. Ordered from sound distributors, anyone ever order from there?

·
Registered
64 Posts
I got my PA-120 from Sound Distributors this week, all in all it was a very good experience, only thing I would've liked to change is I think it should have been double boxed.

But it was cheap (I got the bing cashback deal) and fairly quick delivery.

As for the sub, you will not be disappointed. This thing outperforms almost every big box store sub I have ever heard (ie polk, klipsch..etc)

·
Registered
353 Posts
Yes indeed, many many satisfied users!

What size is your room?

Just be careful, bass is a VERY addicting hobby!

Enjoy your new toy!

·
Registered
153 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
CardNation how does that cashback thing work? I went through bling.com and got an email saying how much I saved etc.....how to I use it or get it? Kinda lost at that point.

My room is roughly 12x15 right now. My basement is unfinished and making a HT room 12x23.....in the process of building now.

What size room is your sub in? i am getting pretty stoked about this sub!!!

·
Registered
64 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by eurovw89 /forum/post/18131164

CardNation how does that cashback thing work? I went through bling.com and got an email saying how much I saved etc.....how to I use it or get it? Kinda lost at that point.

My room is roughly 12x15 right now. My basement is unfinished and making a HT room 12x23.....in the process of building now.

What size room is your sub in? i am getting pretty stoked about this sub!!!

You will be able to withdraw your cash back after I think 45 days (might be 60). You can review the details at your bing cash back account page.

My room is 15' 7"W x 23' 9"L x 7' 9"H, but is connected to a hallway at one end and a small nook at the other end.

This sub has NO trouble filling this space and has vastly outperformed my highest expectations. It really is incredible, I can't imagine a more powerful sub, as this one already rattles the walls. I only wish I had bought one sooner, lol.

FYI, I have the sub gain set to 6 and crossover set to max, and I let my AVR set the frequency (LFE is set to 150hz). which is what I think produces the best sound.

·
Registered
153 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
CardNation,

Good you give me some insight on setting it up? How does it handle with music? I heard a few people on other sites saying it doesn't do good with music....how do u feel about that?

·
Registered
64 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by eurovw89 /forum/post/18143340

CardNation,

Good you give me some insight on setting it up? How does it handle with music? I heard a few people on other sites saying it doesn't do good with music....how do u feel about that?

Honestly, I think those people may need to upgrade their main speakers, and/or do some tweaking . After all this thing is a subwoofer, and it does what it was intended to do perfectly. Which is to re-produce low frequencies.

·
Registered
2,035 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by eurovw89 /forum/post/18143340

CardNation,

The reason many owners don't like this sub for music is because it doesn't articulate all that well. If you listen to the PA-120 side by side with a 'better' sub, you'll hear the PA-120 being somewhat 'mono-tone' instead of hearing the actual differences between each note being played. Also, if you try to get alot of output when playing music the PA-120 is prone to making some port noise.

This sub is very versatile for the price but it has it's limitations. People who talk about it as being 'all the sub a guy could want' or 'perfect in my big room' just haven't heard better and don't know the difference. I had this sub in a small to medium sized room and while it did perform well it does not have strong output, especially close to it's tuning point.

I now have a sealed sub to replace the PA-120 and I can tell you this, the sound quality is far superior and the output is vastly higher. I can't really compare the 2 subs though since the sealed one I have cost me $500 to build so it's in a whole different price category but what I can do is tell you that the PA-120 is not a 'good' sub for music, especially if you like to crank up the volume.

Where the PA-120 shines is in HT without a doubt. For the price it's a great buy. If you're looking for a good 'musical' sub then look at the HSU STF-1 or 2. These will sound far better to most people than the PA-120 for music.

Always remember that a person's impression is relevant to their 'experience'. If they are coming from a HTIB or just using the TV for sound...then the PA-120 is going to be the second coming of subs. Once you start upgrading to better SQ and output your impression of everything you've heard will slowly change somewhat. When I got my PA-120 I really did love it. It made my movies come to life like but it didn't take me long to get a feel for the limits of this subwoofer. When playing 2.1 music and pushing the volume up I really noticed it's limits. When I started doing testing with an SPL meter and REW I then saw it's limits in black and white.

While the PA-120 would now be a serious downgrade in SQ and output for me I still give it a huge thumbs up and recommend it to anyone on a serious budget. For the price it's about as good as any sub out there if not better. Depending where in the 'upgrade evolution chain' you are it might be one very amazing subwoofer. For beginners that come from HTIB or nothing at all it's going to amaze you in all likelyhood.

As a budget sub I would rate this a 9 out of 10. You can't really beat it for the money.

·
Registered
503 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Danielson99 /forum/post/18146798

The reason many owners don't like this sub for music is because it doesn't articulate all that well. If you listen to the PA-120 side by side with a 'better' sub, you'll hear the PA-120 being somewhat 'mono-tone' instead of hearing the actual differences between each note being played. Also, if you try to get alot of output when playing music the PA-120 is prone to making some port noise.

This sub is very versatile for the price but it has it's limitations. People who talk about it as being 'all the sub a guy could want' or 'perfect in my big room' just haven't heard better and don't know the difference. I had this sub in a small to medium sized room and while it did perform well it does not have strong output, especially close to it's tuning point.

I now have a sealed sub to replace the PA-120 and I can tell you this, the sound quality is far superior and the output is vastly higher. I can't really compare the 2 subs though since the sealed one I have cost me $500 to build so it's in a whole different price category but what I can do is tell you that the PA-120 is not a 'good' sub for music, especially if you like to crank up the volume.

Where the PA-120 shines is in HT without a doubt. For the price it's a great buy. If you're looking for a good 'musical' sub then look at the HSU STF-1 or 2. These will sound far better to most people than the PA-120 for music.

Always remember that a person's impression is relevant to their 'experience'. If they are coming from a HTIB or just using the TV for sound...then the PA-120 is going to be the second coming of subs. Once you start upgrading to better SQ and output your impression of everything you've heard will slowly change somewhat. When I got my PA-120 I really did love it. It made my movies come to life like but it didn't take me long to get a feel for the limits of this subwoofer. When playing 2.1 music and pushing the volume up I really noticed it's limits. When I started doing testing with an SPL meter and REW I then saw it's limits in black and white.

While the PA-120 would now be a serious downgrade in SQ and output for me I still give it a huge thumbs up and recommend it to anyone on a serious budget. For the price it's about as good as any sub out there if not better. Depending where in the 'upgrade evolution chain' you are it might be one very amazing subwoofer. For beginners that come from HTIB or nothing at all it's going to amaze you in all likelyhood.

As a budget sub I would rate this a 9 out of 10. You can't really beat it for the money.

Agreed

I've had 2 of these for $438 shipped about 15 months ago and I agree that it's a great HT sub...blows my neighbors away.

For certain musical taste though...it's pretty damm good...like lounge music.

Mine would rattle the whole house though because of my laminate floors so I bought a gramma/subdude for each that was recommended on this website and I gotta tell you...it' made the PA-120 way more musical and no rattle, bass a lot tighter.

FYI and my $.02

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.