AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
233 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well, after many months of agony, I just went ahead and pulled the trigger and bought my 503CMX from Dell. It was just too good an opportunity to pass-up. This builds upon my existing Panasonic 42" unit in the bedroom. I am truely a plasma addict. =) It will be interesting to compare the two. Now I just need to get rid of my front projection setup... Today, I reclaim my living room space (or in a week anyway). I will no longer be a slave to throw distances. Thanks again for everyone's input.

·
Registered
32,172 Posts
Congrats... You will, however, now be a slave to wall mounts, burn-in fear, et al....

Mark

·
Registered
233 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks Mark. I think it's worth it since I can now watch TV during the day.

Btw, does anymore know the weight of the 503CMX - both with and w/o packaging?

·
Registered
813 Posts
Congrats Dan, I think that pioneer has an awesome plasma. I'm sure you will love it. I would love to be able to compare the panny and pioneer in the same room/components/light conditions/etc.

-Chris

·
Registered
233 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I'm just curious how I'm going to adapt from a 115" 4:3 screen. That's over 2x as big! I stood in front of the 50" Pioneer plasma at Best Buy today for like 30 minutes visualizing. Ah, screen envy.

Worst case, I return the 503CMX. I just couldn't pass up the current deal.

·
Registered
463 Posts
Daniel, KEEP the front projector if it's a good one! I've got a front projector and the Pio, and I use the Pio for daytime movie watching and the projector for nightime use. If it's an older, not so sharp CRT and if you want to trade it in for a newer one for not so much money, consider buying a refurbished one from someone like Curt Palme. I love my Pio but it's still "only" 50". For the true theatre experience, I still need my 8' screen!

Just my two cents. May the Swartz be with you :)

·
Registered
55 Posts
Daniel,

Can you IM/PM with info about the price your received? I think that's in the bounds of the rules. I would be forever grateful. I don't see that DELL has anything special going on at the moment.

Thx.

Tom

·
Registered
73 Posts
Daniel,

Congrats on the new plasma.

The 503CMX had a hang weight of ~86 lbs and about 115 lbs in it's box (w/o the pallet).

·
Registered
5,112 Posts
Your whole life is going to be one big Panny-Pio shootout.In all seriousness when you get a chance and really use both displays on a daily basis, an in depth comparison would be great and your the only one equipped to do it.

·
Registered
233 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
bmohar: Thanks for the info!

video1: I wish I could do both but I can't afford it and I'm also going to be stuck in apartments for the next few years. Consequently, FP simply takes over the main living space. Plasma is understated yet cool and will hopefully do me over until I get a house. Only 8' though? =)

Matt: I'll try to do a basic shootout next month when I have some more time free. It will be interesting for sure!

·
Registered
230 Posts
Did you miss out on the current 20% off? I was SO tempted to pull the trigger on that deal this morning. 20% off, plus 5% off stackable coupon, plus 3% cashback through **************, plus free shipping!!! Unforunately, my finances still really can't handle the 5k that it would've cost, as great a price as that is.

·
Registered
233 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
LOL. True to form, I just got an e-mail from Dell saying that my order was delayed by two weeks and wouldn't ship till mid-May. =)

·
Registered
766 Posts
Hi Daniel

Does the Dell delivered Pio PDP-503CMX include a stand of any kind? If not, were did you buy one?

Regards,

Hal

·
Registered
233 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
It comes with a "temporary" table stand (two plastic feet basically) that most find sufficient for everyday applications. If you have kids or pets or live on a fault line though, it would probably be best to buy yourself a more anchored stand or a strong wall mount. Hope this helps.

·
Registered
65 Posts
I also have a 503CMX. And it is too small. I'm sitting at about 13' away from it. It's just too small.....thinking of front projector....

Screen size is something that you just can't go back. I can't imagine how you could adjust yourself from a 115" to 50". That's less than a quarter of the screen that you have.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.