AVS Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I ordered what appears to be the newly released hd131xw from Amazon and after reading some reviews about the soft corners of the xe, it has me a bit worried. I was looking at the pics of the XE vs the XW tonight and it appears that, unless the stock photos that I find are actually of the HD25 (which I suspect may be the case), the xw may have a different lens.

Has anyone received an hd131xw yet that can confirm whether the soft corner issue is fixed on these newer units?

·
Registered
7,183 Posts
It has been confirmed that the HD131X is the same regardless of body color. That said, since people have complained about the lens there is a chance that all new the models from Optoma have had a correction made to fix/alleviate this issue somewhat.

·
Registered
123 Posts
Visual Apex stopped selling the XE, and now only sells the XW. I called them up to ask if this was to ensure that they got units not affected by the lens issue, and the customer rep I spoke with did not know.

·
Registered
72 Posts
tactics like this cause me concern, I decided to go with a "name" brand company, My Epson 3020 is being shipped as I type.

I suspect that any sub $3000 projector is going to have built in compromises. Soft focus and ridged mounting is something I care to avoid.

While the hd-25 and hd131 have good specs, Optoma cut a few corners with poor optics. At the end of the day I don't care a lot about specs and care more about image quality.

The Epson is going to face some strong competition, It's going to have to prove itself against a Nec xg1100 series crt projector.

The somewhat higher resolution and lumens and 3d will help but if the image quality is lacking, it may find itself back in the box and returned. I have 30 days to evaluate.

a full report is pending...

·
Registered
7,183 Posts
If you care most about image quality, then you should up your budget some and get the JVC RS46. It's a fair bit better than anything I've seen under $3,000.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts