AVS Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I finally took the plunge and ordered the HSU VTF-3 this morning after days of indecision. My HT room in the basement is 12X16X8 and I have been experimenting with the Def Tech Prosub 1000 I got from Bestbuy 2 weeks ago. After trying different positions and came to the conclusion I need 2 Prosub 1000 to get the result I want. But almost $1000 for 2 average subwoofers is not smart in my book. I hope the HSU VTF-3 will live up to its reputation and blow me away.

John

·
Registered
258 Posts
Based on what I know of the VTF2mk3, I don't think you will be disappointed with yours

·
Registered
8,479 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnAMG /forum/post/19620439

I finally took the plunge and ordered the HSU VTF-3 this morning after days of indecision. My HT room in the basement is 12X16X8 and I have been experimenting with the Def Tech Prosub 1000 I got from Bestbuy 2 weeks ago. After trying different positions and came to the conclusion I need 2 Prosub 1000 to get the result I want. But almost $1000 for 2 average subwoofers is not smart in my book. I hope the HSU VTF-3 will live up to its reputation and blow me away.

John

If you want to be blown away in terms of output, be prepared to run the 3.3 in Maximum Output mode, rather than Maximum Extension mode.

Of course you should try both modes, but Max Output will pressurize your room more than Max Extension.

Have Fun

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by spyboy /forum/post/19620963

If you want to be blown away in terms of output, be prepared to run the 3.3 in Maximum Output mode, rather than Maximum Extension mode.

Of course you should try both modes, but Max Output will pressurize your room more than Max Extension.

Have Fun

Should I wear a diaper just in case I crap in my pants from the excessive LFE

John

·
Registered
8,479 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnAMG /forum/post/19621189

Should I wear a diaper just in case I crap in my pants from the excessive LFE

John

I guess you didn't see the Mythbusters segment on the Brown Note. They called it a myth after getting very close to a couple of banks of subs, but the experiment might have been flawed. For one thing they did the test outside. They also didn't present enough information about the depth and output level.

Then again, people sit in cars with 140+ db, so maybe it just isn't true. I think that some people have felt queasy with certain very high output experiences.

·
Registered
1,399 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by spyboy /forum/post/19620963

Have Fun

His room is pretty small though. He may be just fine in max extension and get all the output he needs with the added bonus of deeper extension.

·
Registered
1,526 Posts
Looking good. I would like to hear your impressions and comparisons with the sub you just returned. On a side note you might want to move those towers out of the corner once you get sub in. I would think around 2 feet off rear wall and just off edges of screen, toed in at lp. If you have rear ports then they will perform better with more room to breath, even though they are going to be crossed over to sub making it less important (not as much going on with ports farther from tuning). I started with center placed similar to yours but felt it was lacking, putting center channel on dedicated stand was a positive experience in my case.

·
Banned
8,744 Posts

Quote:

John

Remember that to get the most out of your sub, placement is crucial. While the VTF3 should be able to leave little in the way of bass nulls, you can get more out of it with optimal placement. Experiment with different locations if you can. Also ask Hsu's customer support for advice on the best locations, this is a service they will gladly do for their customers. They have a message board on their company forum dedicated to this. I think you should try front corner-loaded placement and near-field endtable style placement with woofer facing listener to start with. You will see the advantages different places have to offer the listening experience.

·
Registered
773 Posts

Quote:

John

I had the VTF-3 in a 3200 cu ft room and it was more than enough. You are going to love it.

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Just got the sub yesterday, hooked it up and holy ****!!! The room shook so much I had to turn the sub volume down to 25% The sub is set at 1 port open and I have experience bass nirvana. I am no expert but that bass is teeth rattling. The Def tech prosub 1000 is way off its league with this HSU sub even if I use two of them. Needless to say I returned the sub back to Bestbuy and I am HSU fan for life.

John

·
Registered
872 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnAMG /forum/post/0

Just got the sub yesterday, hooked it up and holy ****!!! The room shook so much I had to turn the sub volume down to 25% The sub is set at 1 port open and I have experience bass nirvana. I am no expert but that bass is teeth rattling. The Def tech prosub 1000 is way off its league with this HSU sub even if I use two of them. Needless to say I returned the sub back to Bestbuy and I am HSU fan for life.

John

Funny enough, 25% or "9 o'clock" as HSU likes to call it is the recommended calibration position for their subs.

Glad you love it - we all knew you would!

·
Registered
392 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnAMG /forum/post/19654259

John

Did you have a diaper on?

Glad to hear you like your new HSU!

·
Registered
1,121 Posts
Don't ya all just love bass...HSU rocks and if you want to test your new or old HSU, put on War of the Worlds in BluRay...I know the HSU's won't go down that low but that movie has bass extension down to about 5!

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.