AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This may be another tired new owner annoucement. But I'm really happy so I want to share with you :D I have a limited budget (can barely afford the cheapest BEST display) and a limited viewing distance (~7.5 ft). My choice, after much research, including reading all the informative posts on AVSForum, is the Panny Panasonic PT-37PD4-P. Thank you, AVS operators and fellow members, for a wonderful place to learn and share.

I will be matching the Panny plasma with the just purchased Panny RP62K, along with the DirecTiVo. The Monster component and S-video cables are ready to go too. Man..I can't wait. As far as price, I went to J&R matching Plasmahouse's price + shipping. Heheh..I love Plasmahouse :rolleyes: Now I gotta gather all those posts on video adjustments...:

·
Registered
1,066 Posts
I have the same size Panasonic, last year's model. I use it mostly with DTiVo also. I think you will be very satisfied. I did a side-by-side comparison of SD DTV broadcasts, with my previous 27" tube set (Proscan), and the plasma was noticeably superior in sharpness, lack of distortion, and color and black gradation. I am not really into the HT thing; just wanted the best TV a reasonable amount of money could buy. This plasma fills the bill perfectly.

FWIW, although I did buy an Avia DVD for calibration, after messing around for a couple of hours I found myself back at the original factory settings, although many members of this Forum claim they are way too bright. Also, I have not found burn-in to be a significant problem after watching 4:3 images (dark gray sidebars) for about 3 hrs/day for seven months.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
J&R shipped the TV via freight on Tuesday. I was quoted 5-7 days (from NYC to DC) and won't know anything until the trucking company calls (24 hrs. before delivery). So I'm patiently waiting...and waiting...and waiting while watching my 13" Toshiba TV.

·
Registered
32,172 Posts
You're gonna be happy.

·
Registered
19 Posts
I have had my 37 inch Panny Plasma for a week now, and found this forum to be very useful. It's good to know that there are a small number of us who for whatever reason have the 37 inch display. I also purchased the Avia DVD, After using it I found the 16:9 positioning screens very useful for fine adjustment of the position. The picture setting are close to the origonal but not the same after using the Avia DVD. Being based in the UK I am using a very good RGB to VGA converter, and I have to say that the PQ is noticably better via this input than the S-Video even using good cables.

·
Registered
1,660 Posts
If my room was any smaller, I'd probably be going with the 37 myself in a couple months. As it is now, viewing distance will be between 7 and 9 feet (mostly from the 9 range) so the extra $500 seemed worth it to go up to 42. Plus, I only plan on being in the house I'm renting for another 18 months at best, and I'm hoping the 42 will be more appropriate when I move.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Quote:
Originally posted by Moebius
..Plus, I only plan on being in the house I'm renting for another 18 months at best, and I'm hoping the 42 will be more appropriate when I move.
I signed a 17-month lease in April :D If it goes as planned, I should have my own place when we move outta here. I'd get 50" then to celebrate :p

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.