AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
After lurking around here for a few weeks and reading what seemed like every post on sub $1000 receivers, (thanks for starting your thread Tom Bombadil) I decided on the 45TX. It came down to the Denon 3803, HK525,

or (don't know if I should say it) the Sony DA4es. I'm pretty sure any of these will be a pretty big step up from my Sony STR DE 825. LOL. I guess the biggest thing that sold me on the pioneer was the MCACC,( I don't have the expertise or the patience to do what this does) and the pricing I was able to get after talking with Tom aka Leasing Guy and Josh.

I am pretty new to all of this so if the cable question is covered on another forum tell me. I was wondering if upgrading to the Monster or one of the other after market brands is worth all the extra moey over the "in the box" stuff. Even though I feel like I got a good deal on the receiver, I'm not ready to go out and spend another 4 or $ 500.00 on cables right away

(there is only so much I can get by my wife at one time). Which cables should I try to replace first, and what are some of the preferred brands?

Thanks in advance for the help.

·
Registered
5,307 Posts
I'm not quite up on most interconnect cabling, generally use high-end Radio Shack stuff for connecting dvd players and such to the receiver.

As for speaker cable, I've had great results with lamp cord from Home Depot.

·
Registered
1,665 Posts
I am with Steve. Do not waste your money on the HYPE and MYTH of cables. Copper is copper is copper... If you already have enough number of interconnects, you do not have to buy any now (by the way, the 45TX does not come with any).

In case you need some, I have found that partsexpress.com carries nice and inexpensive interconnects (like $20/stereo RCA patch), as well as good speaker cables of various gauges for prices better than my local Home Depot's lamp cords.

·
Registered
1,312 Posts
try bluejeanscables.com or rhinocables.com much better than radioshack garbage...

I use acoustic research Pro line - great also..

·
Registered
520 Posts
Congrats on the 45TX purchase. Please tell us how it works out for you.

Suggest you upgrade your speaker cables first when you're ready - more bang for the buck. Keep the lengths the same for any L/R speaker pairs.

Brand selection is wide open. Others can chime in here, but you may want to scan online HT equipment reviews from what the reviewers are using.

Oh...and I'll buy cable at Home Depot when they start selling lumber at Bjorns (my local mid-fi emporium).

[WARNING: Inevitable flame war on cables to ensue]

·
Premium Member
729 Posts
I'm more of DIY kind of guy on some types of interconnects, but markertek.com, avcable.com, Have Inc., etc. are all good for video cables and even audio cables. Personally, I've got a bunch of Cardas and homebrew silver cabling.

·
Premium Member
729 Posts
oh for DIY crowd, companies like boldercable, or diycable have relatively inexpensive cables. Of course, Ratshack gold and home depot are even cheaper alternatives.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.