AVS Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys, just ordered a pair of M70s for my fronts, M30s for the rear and a CS2. I almost pulled the trigger on the PSW10 but I figured I would come ask before doing so.

Should I just match the Polk equipment up for the $110 I can get it for or is there something else I should at least consider. Totally not an audiophile and I am psyched to get it all hooked up.

Thanks for helping.

·
Registered
3,303 Posts
What's your maximum subwoofer budget? Most here will tell you the PSW10 is no good and simply a waste of money (and by the standards of regulars here, it is), but if you have a $100 budget you don't have many options. Give us a budget and we'll have some more ideas for you.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I had gone in with an overall budget of $1k for receiver and 5.1 speakers. With the 5 purchased, I have $400+ remaining. I think the receiver will cost around $300 but I could stretch the sub to $200-250 MAX if it would make a difference.

As background, I watch TV/Movies 90% of the time, music/gaming is the remaining 10%.

I haven't nailed down a receiver yet but would love some advice on the sub from $100-200. Does that help?

AVS Forum has been a HUGE help to date and I appreciate your taking the time.

·
Registered
165 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by lalakersfan34 /forum/post/18151102

What's your maximum subwoofer budget? Most here will tell you the PSW10 is no good and simply a waste of money (and by the standards of regulars here, it is), but if you have a $100 budget you don't have many options. Give us a budget and we'll have some more ideas for you.

I 2nd that emotion!

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks Mister House but unfortunately I don't have the endless budget to spend. It made me go with monitors for speakers and now I am just looking for a good match, not one that will shake the pictures off the walls. Any thoughts?

·
Registered
165 Posts
Do you have an idea how big the room is? Is it a bedroom or a living room? Are you willing to take longer to save more money to get something that will be worth it?

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Sure, from what I have learned the M70s would be more than adequate as they have a good "low end" and the current room is 22 x 15 x 10 ft ceilings. I say current because it is more than likely I move in about a year but for now that is what I am looking at.

It is for my living room. At the end of the day, I don't want to buy crap just to have something. That said, I am not so sophisticated that I need top of the line. A good performing product will likely blow me away to be honest. I have been running all my sound through a Technics stereo from high school the last 20 years so this is a HUGE step forward for me and one I don't want to have to revisit every 3-5 years if at all possible.

·
Registered
165 Posts
Ok bro I know the situation you are in and I can only suggest NOT buying a Polk sub if you can. At the least I would try to buy a BIC Acoustic sub on eBay such as the one in this link. If you play your cards right I am sure you can find one in your price range.

http://cgi.ebay.com/BIC-Acoustech-PL...item4835a5933d

P.S. Go for the 12" sub if you can. Happy Shopping!

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Cool, thanks for getting me started. And just to be clear, is there a "last years model" that is still a good product but not $320? I won't get that now but could squeeze it into the budget in 4-6 months if it is worth waiting for.

Thanks again for the help. I know dealing in this low price range probably isn't your expertise.

·
Registered
3,303 Posts
Look into the Premier Acoustic PA-120. It's available from a couple of authorized dealers on eBay for about $250 after shipping. The PA-120 has pretty good output and extension to around 20-25hz and should be good for a home theater setup. It even looks nice to boot. While it's not the most refined subwoofer out there it looks like a good choice given your budget and needs.

EDIT: From what I've read the Bic H-100 you're looking at is very similar to the PA-120 in performance. Either sub would be a good fit for you - FAR better than the Polk PSW10.

·
Registered
165 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by cb32 /forum/post/18151286

Cool, thanks for getting me started. And just to be clear, is there a "last years model" that is still a good product but not $320? I won't get that now but could squeeze it into the budget in 4-6 months if it is worth waiting for.

Thanks again for the help. I know dealing in this low price range probably isn't your expertise.

You are correct in assuming it is out of my range. The only way I knew about that sub was when I started I thought it was a good deal too. I quickly figured out what I needed to make me happy wasn't close to that but there is a guy I work with that has one and he is simplistic like yourself. Sometimes I wish I was him lol. Anyways... he enjoys his a lot but refuses to come over and listen to what I have lol. None the less you should enjoy any of those models, last year or not, just shop around and possible find a website for the info.

P.S. Thanks for assist lakersfan

·
Registered
165 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by cb32 /forum/post/18151300

As an example, I quickly found the H-100 closer to my max price range after BCB:

http://www.acousticsounddesign.com/c...pid=1062&sc=32

Not worth it now versus the one you suggest 4-6 months from now?

This one looks great too. As long as you are getting a 12" or better, 500 watts or better and a quality amp such as BASH you are going to be happy.

Don't worry about 4-6 months from now. You are now shopping for 4-6 years from now. You are good to go.

·
Registered
2,035 Posts
Arguably 90% of your sound quality and overall experience is going to come from your speakers, subwoofer and room. Spend most of your money on those things and the least on a receiver. Buy something used from Accessories4less. They come with a 1 year warranty. You could pick up something in the $200 range depending on your needs.

I would shoot for a bare minimum BIC F12, PA-120 or even a SUB 120 from PartsExpress for less than $150. It will get you started in the right direction anyway.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Thanks Danielson, didn't see many $200 receiver options at accessories4less but I am sure that turns over. I don't want to short change myself on the receiver given the investment in the speakers/sub but I have heard a similar statement.

Basically I don't need Zone B, iPod easy compatability would be nice but I am a TV watcher mostly with some movies added in. Have a HD DVR, DVD with HDMI, and a Wii and that is it so I likely don't need a big receiver. Just don't want to bring something home and realize my speakers suck because my receiver isn't sending enough power to them.

·
Registered
252 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by cb32 /forum/post/18150986

Hey guys, just ordered a pair of M70s for my fronts, M30s for the rear and a CS2. I almost pulled the trigger on the PSW10 but I figured I would come ask before doing so.

Should I just match the Polk equipment up for the $110 I can get it for or is there something else I should at least consider. Totally not an audiophile and I am psyched to get it all hooked up.

Thanks for helping.

you probably got those monitors at the egg, if not IM SORRY you missed out on a good deal. But newegg also has the polk psw505 on sale and it will match up with those 70s real nice. theres also a coupon for them if your an email subscriber : EMCYNZN23

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I did indeed take advantage of the deal yesterday at the egg. They could be here this weekend! As for the other speakers, I didn't want to wait on a deal for the 30s and CS2 because max savings there might be $30-40 total.

Thanks for the notice on the deal on the egg for the PSW505. Not a huge deal like the M70s yesterday. Should I consider the PSW505 over the Bic F12 or PA-120 mentoned above?

·
Registered
252 Posts
im just passing on info from the polk forums, i use that horrible psw10 mentioned above and like it (sorry) but from what many in the PF's are saying the 505 is a good match to the m70s. I just wanted to inform you of said newegg deal just in case. good luck with your search.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I would wait until you can buy something a little better. I just got M70's for fronts and the bass is no sub but they sound better than the sub that came in my onkyo HTiB. I have an ED A2-300 on the way though.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.