Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
2,505 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi

I just ordered my first pair of maggies, the mgmc1's I was able to find used for $565 shipped which was an offer I could not refuse.

Since this is my first pair what should I know about taking care of them? What type of fuses do they use? how often do they need to be replaced? What is an obvious audible sign a fuse has blown? What type of amps work best?

Does anyone have these at home and what are your impressions of them?

I have found very few actual users of these speakers but was pretty hooked on these for my surrounds for the last year.

Thanx

Mark

·
Registered
981 Posts
In no way can I answer your questions, BUT, I hope that they sound great and that you will post your impressions asap! (I've been reading about the entire 5 speaker setup in different reviews and they are, essentially, marvelous.)

·
Registered
2,505 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yea I will post, I read mag reviews but almost nothing from normal everday users that used these as there surrounds with normal speakers coupled with it. My other speakers are Paradigm monitor 11's v2 for fronts monitor CC370 center and two Aperion SW8 subs, this is with my Lexicon MC-1 pre/pro. Hopefully they will mix well.

·
Registered
98 Posts
Congrats. I hope you enjoy them. I have been looking at the MMG's, as I can pick those up used for $400. I want to use them in my 2-channel setup. I've heard they are excellent for music. A few have said they aren't very dynamic for theater use. Another guy said his seemed fine in his setup. The only way to know is listen for yourself, like anything else. I'm tempted to give them a try, though.

Definitely let us know what you think.

DAVE

·
Registered
981 Posts
I think that the dynamic aspect of these speakers depends, in part, on how they are driven (amps) and the size of the room in which they are to be used; I understand that a small to medium size room is just fine for them.

Any thoughts?

·
Premium Member
729 Posts
Get a good amp, one that can easily drive 4 ohm loads. They aren't horribly hard to drive from when I had them but they certainly did not like my old pioneer receiver I had around. I hooked them up to my main Cinepro amp at the time and they sounded great!!

I ended up returning them after dogs, cats, and children were dangerously close to doing some major damage.

·
Registered
20 Posts
swanlee,

Welcome to the Maggie Family, most people who get Manepans never buy dynamic box speakers again.

There is a forum dedicated to the Magnepan speaker users it is the Magnepan Users Group; http://www.integracoustics.com/MUG/MUG/

There is all sorts of info on maggies there. I have lived with Maggies (three different sets) for the past sixteen years, every five years I decide to get new speakers and after looking at everything I can find, I work in the business so I can find alot. I always just upgrade to a better and larger set of Maggies. Here are a couple of hints;

1. you have to live around the maggies, this can take some getting used to.

2. You should get a high quality, high current amp. The magnepan is not a hard load to drive but is 4 Ohm and likes current.

3. NEVER, EVER, EVER put in a larger or a slow blow fuse. It cost me over a hundred dollars to learn that lesson.

4. I am willing to bet that in less than a year you will have Maggies for the front channel. First let me say I am a great fan of Paradigms, but a surround system works best when you match speakers, so that the timber is the same. The magnepan speakers are so fast (by virtue of the diaphragm having such low mass) that it is hard for a heavy driver to keep up.

5. The offer on the magnepan website for a set of MMGs for $550 with a 60 day return and a one year upgrade offer is a great way to try maggies in the front as well as the surrounds.

6. When it comes to dynamics, every person I have ever shown my maggies to has left my house stunned (talk about Shock and Awe). A home theater set up with all maggies is one of the best sounds you can get and competes very favorably with surround sets that cost 3-6 times as much.

Good luck with your new Maggies

·
Registered
2,505 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Hi

Well I finally got my MGMC1's

A quick review of my nearly complete system.

Lexicon MC-1

Sony TAN9000es 5 ch amp

Paradigm monitor 11's V2 mains

Paradigm CC370 Center V3

Two Aperion SW8 subs

Pioneer 47AI Universal Player

Magnepan MGMC1's surrounds

Furman voltage regulator

Panamax 1000 line conditioner

All this for under $6500 (thank you audiogon and ebay)!!!

Crappy 20 inch Sanyo TV (audio is my priority)

The only thing I'm going to do now is get a decent Plasma HDTV and a high quality amp like Parasound and get a pair of Paradigm ADP370's for the sides in my 7 channel Logic 7 setup.

So far the MGMC1's are quite wonderfull and match very well with the Paradigms, the titanium tweeters of the Paradigms seem to be a good match for the magneplanar material. Mounting these was a chore but I got them up and stable by myself. I live in a small apartment so my current system is way over kill but I'm getting a house soon.

These were exactly what I needed for my system a nice unconvential design which has added a lot of depth and airyness to the overall sound of my system. I'm not quite sure If I would want to go maggies all the way around yet, Don't have the space now for sure, But later down the road I my trade out my mains and see out it goes. I listen to a wide range of music Classical to Death Metal so not sure if maggies in the front would handle some of the more heavy stuff I listen to.

I would easily recommend these to anyone they do seem to fit well in any system and the technology is perfect for surrounds , very airy and opening without calling attention to themselves.

·
Registered
1,029 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by swanlee
Yea I will post, I read mag reviews but almost nothing from normal everday users that used these as there surrounds with normal speakers coupled with it. My other speakers are Paradigm monitor 11's v2 for fronts monitor CC370 center and two Aperion SW8 subs, this is with my Lexicon MC-1 pre/pro. Hopefully they will mix well.
the biggest problem i had w/ using the mgmc1's in concert w/ conventional box speakers was that my reciever didn't have enough adjustment range to compensate for the relative lack of sensitivity of the maggies. fixed that problem by getting moving the box speakers to the 'casual' HT and getting more maggies.

the mgmc1's sound pretty good as mains as well when used w/ a competent sub.

·
Registered
2,505 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thankfully my MC-1 was able to compensate for the very relaxed way the MGMC1's presented themsleves. I had to bump up the rear left and right speakers settings about 1.5 db's and that seemed to do the trick. I'd agree though if your pre/pro- Receiver can't adjust the rear settings properly you may run into problems with them.

But if you got a way to get around this they really add an airy, matrual element to your system.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.