Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,

After being on the fence for a while, I just ordered my X1 from Dell for $899 shipped with no tax. I was going to get it at BB for 999 + 8% tax so with the $180 savings I decided to go for it.

I have some questions on getting the best picture out of DVDs on my X1:

I have an old JVC501bk, a Mintek and an XBox available as DVD players. None are progressive. Should I invest in a progressive scan player or will my picture be good just using one of the DVD players I have?

I also have an IBM Thinkpad laptop computer with a DVD player that I could use but I'm not sure how I would get Dolby Digital sound (or DTS) out of that? Is that possible?

Anybody hook up a HDTV receiver (to get over the air HDTV signals) into their X1? If so, how does the picture look? Is it worth watching HDTV on the 800x600 X1?

Thanks for any help...

-Ed

·
Registered
546 Posts
How do you get no tax. I get tax on the Dell site when I process a purchase. Is Dell not offically in your state?

·
Registered
289 Posts
I have a JVC XV501-BK as well, but I'm probably gonna replace it with a progressive scan player. The fact that component and S-Video share the same port on the X1 annoys me to no end. So I'll have DVD on the VGA port and satellite on component.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Quote:
Originally posted by Mike191
How do you get no tax. I get tax on the Dell site when I process a purchase. Is Dell not offically in your state?
I live in New York and when I ordered there was no tax. I believe you only pay tax if they are based in your state or have a warehouse or something there.

-Ed

·
Banned
4,104 Posts
Quote:
Anybody hook up a HDTV receiver (to get over the air HDTV signals) into their X1? If so, how does the picture look? Is it worth watching HDTV on the 800x600 X1?
It looks awesome but it isn't HD as you know. It is the best image source you will see on you X1. If you have Directv I would suggest getting the HD package and HD net movies plus HBOHD.

·
Registered
4,477 Posts
remember that any progressive and hdtv signal using the compnent to vga port turns off all color adjustments so make sure id you use that port your dvd player can adjust those internally.

·
Registered
875 Posts
I wouldn't be in a hurry Bliz, they are backordering the x1s bought on sale and selling full price units for "same day shipping". I'm not planning on seeing the one I ordered any time soon.

As this is an illegal practice on Dells part (I play poker regularly with an FTC attorney) I am tempted to buy one of the full priced units today and then return the discounted unit when it arrives in a week or two as the full priced one. Given that they have free shipping there is no cost to me. Sure, it's not exactly cricket, but since they insist on playing these games against the consumer, turnabout is fair play.

·
Registered
546 Posts
Return shipping is on you. They track serial numbers so you have to return the correct projector for the correct refund.

·
Registered
875 Posts
Good point generally, except a) i can just swap out the pjs when the first one I ordered actually arrives, and b) I have a long standing account with them (which will get much less use in the future) which covers return shipping (sort of a good customer perk). I am just getting extraordinarily tired of retailers playing these games. If you offer a product at a price, sell it at that price and don't treat to consumer as if you're doing them a favor if they ever receive their order. Sales are part of the cost of doing business, there is a reason why we have laws against bait and switch.

What galls me the most is that you know Dell sold a ton of these with that coupon and their now holding out hoping that the more eager folks will cancel their orders rather then wait. The Sales manager who is pulling this off deserves to be strung up by his thumbs.

·
Registered
1,116 Posts
I bought mine on sale and did not have to wait for it. In fact, I got it 3 days later via Airborne Express. They shipped it the very same day I placed the order.

·
Registered
454 Posts
I would initially go with one of your existing players. Hook it up to the non-progressive component in and see if you like it. Upgrade to progressive if you see a reason to. The X1 has a very good deinterlacer, many people (me included) run with a non-progressive player.

·
Registered
33 Posts
I also just ordered the X1 from Dell, the estimated shipping date is oct.3 does that mean its backordered? I hope not. Does anyone have an opinion on a Dalite matte white screen model b 84 by 64 inches with seating aprox. 14-15 ft. away thats what I was planning, would a smaller screen look better at that distance?? opinions please, thanks, -ED.

·
Registered
318 Posts
I ordered my X1 from dell on sunday night 9/27 and my order says it will ship on or before 10/1. Should I expect delays?

BTW: I had to pay tax for the state of KY - bummer:rolleyes:

·
Registered
1,831 Posts
I do not know why my post was deleted, as I am just trying to help out other members. Cruise to ************** and forums. Under hot deals, seach for X1, I just picked up an X1 for $750 shipped!

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.