AVS Forum banner

1 - 20 of 57 Posts

·
Registered
3,686 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
First of all, is this gonna chew the life off of the processor?

Second question (that also may effect the first q). My apartment is always 70-71 degrees, and the temp on the cores are about 50-55C with no load and 59-63C at the load, I ran Prime95 and it was sticking around 59-65C. Is this too hot?

Also, when I was building this system I took the Zalman CNPS9500 fan off after I had already applied the Arctic Silver 5, should I clean it out and reapply my thermal paste? Those temps seem kind of high and the fan is spinning at max speed all the time.

Also, should I take heed to the break-in period? This is my HTPC and it does everything in my living room now, but I don't want to destroy an awesome chip. Maybe putting it in standby every night?

·
Registered
113 Posts
I don't know about the ideal temps for a Core2Duo CPU but I've yet to lose a CPU to exessive heat or voltage. If any, I think by the time the excessive heat ate away the life of your CPU, it would be far enough in the future (i.e - many years) that you wouldn't care much at that point.

·
Registered
3,686 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
89? Wow..

I have heard complete thermal breakdown is around 100C for Intel chips (and I would guess many others
)

BTW, I took my vCore voltage down to 1.38, I might try lower tomorrow but it didn't really help when I was running at 3.15 reducing it to stock voltage (1.25 or so), it still ran at the same temps I am seeing now.

·
Registered
615 Posts
reading around the net came up that the max temperature for c2d is 65-70 degrees. You are not too far from it too. Maybe check air flow?

My case had bad airflow for the hard drives. One fan and temps dropped by 25 degrees

·
Registered
258 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnthonyB /forum/post/0

Plain & simple? Yes. But there are 2 things to consider...

- Chips are very cheap, nowdays.

- Instead of getting 10 years with your CPU, you might get 5. Just using these numbers as examples.

Who sticks with the same chip for half a decade? Certainly not me. Therefore, I say overclock away! BUT, keep a steady airflow. Add more fans to your case. Heat is the enemy.

·
Registered
90 Posts
I am planning on getting an E6600 too, and to overclock as well. Although not quite as much as you, I will be happy with 3.0 GHz.

What motherboard and ram are you using?

·
Premium Member
13,879 Posts
I LOVE my E6600. With a Scythe Infinity I easily have it at 3.5 with no temp issues.

·
Registered
3,686 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I have the evga 680i mb so Scythe Infinity is not an option, at least that's what I am reading..

Any other coolers?

·
Registered
676 Posts
For an HTPC, the E6600 is way too fast. It actually needs declocking, not overclocking. I run mine at the default settings which throttle it down to 1.6 GHz when idle or under minimum load. Mind you it doesn't switch to the standard 2.4 Ghz even when I play HD DVD/ Blu-ray discs or recorded HDTV now - using the hardware accelleration of the video card. As for the cooling, under these conditions the stock cooler is sufficient and dead quiet.

·
Registered
17 Posts
I have my e6600 clocked to 3.6 with a Scythe Ninja on an EVGA 680i and it fits fine. My temps are great, but I modified the mounting system to get better pressure on the cpu.

You can look here to get the mod information.

Scythe mounting modification

·
Registered
581 Posts

Quote:

Second question (that also may effect the first q). My apartment is always 70-71 degrees, and the temp on the cores are about 50-55C with no load and 59-63C at the load, I ran Prime95 and it was sticking around 59-65C. Is this too hot?

Also, when I was building this system I took the Zalman CNPS9500 fan off after I had already applied the Arctic Silver 5, should I clean it out and reapply my thermal paste? Those temps seem kind of high and the fan is spinning at max speed all the time.

Also, should I take heed to the break-in period? This is my HTPC and it does everything in my living room now, but I don't want to destroy an awesome chip. Maybe putting it in standby every night?

i've been building and overclocking for about 7 years..

1. No

2. No. However there's always room for improvement. Look into better fan management. leading to #3....

3. The fan or the heatsink? if you moved the heatsink at all after applying the paste then yes, you need to take off the heatsink and redo the process. usually fans attach on the top or sides of heatsinks already attached to mobo's. if you took the fan off for whatever reason and put it back on this has no effect on the paste/hs.

4. No. Just stress testing to make sure your OC is stable is all that's needed.

If you're worried about temps you may need to look at if your HTPC actually needs all that horsepower. Look at what you use it for and you might not even need to OC.

·
Premium Member
16,132 Posts

Quote:

I have the evga 680i mb so Scythe Infinity is not an option, at least that's what I am reading..

Any other coolers?

Thermalright Ultra-120 Extreme with Scythe S-FLEX 120 mm fan. Use Arctic Silver 5 and follow the application instruction carefully.

·
Registered
3,686 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Ya I have a feeling that there was some air pockets in the end result, that cooler and artic silver 5 paste have no reason to be that hot.

If you don't have alcohol around the house what other solvent would be ok? Or should i not even try it until I get alcohol?

Also, I use the HTPC for HD-DVD, Blu-Ray, often times recording and viewing HD-DVD or Blu as well. The only game I play is Call Of Duty 2.

·
Registered
3,686 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
BTW, do I see that right? You sand your heat spreader until you see copper? That's a insane idea but if it helps dissipate 10C that might be worth it.

·
Premium Member
16,132 Posts

Quote:

If you don't have alcohol around the house what other solvent would be ok? Or should i not even try it until I get alcohol?

Never use solvent other thanA gasoline water remover may use high-purity isopropyl alcohol.

Quote:

There are 3 model numbers for that fan which have 3 different cfm's which one?

1200rpm, 49CFM SFF21E.

·
Registered
1,548 Posts
I think your C2D will start throttling down around 65-70C and assuming the temperatures shown in available programs are not exact and could be off few degrees, you maybe throttling already and in reality run slower at 3.6 GHz than you would at let's say 3.4 without throttling. That you don't need all that speed for HTPC is another story. If I was you I would lower the speed and enjoy much quieter computer. Depending on BIOS and Mobo you can save the settings for 3.6 GHz overclock to USB or memory , run at the slower, cooler speed most of the time and if you need something done in a hurry reload the 3.6 GHz settings during bootup.

·
Premium Member
13,879 Posts
Sorry Pete, I disagree. My system wouldn't be any quieter even if I did downclock it.

As for the Scythe and an EVGA, that's what I have. Not sure why you couldn't use it. It does get tricky with the heat pipe layout, but it works.

·
Registered
3,686 Posts
Discussion Starter #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by ditcho /forum/post/0

For an HTPC, the E6600 is way too fast. It actually needs declocking, not overclocking. I run mine at the default settings which throttle it down to 1.6 GHz when idle or under minimum load. Mind you it doesn't switch to the standard 2.4 Ghz even when I play HD DVD/ Blu-ray discs or recorded HDTV now - using the hardware accelleration of the video card. As for the cooling, under these conditions the stock cooler is sufficient and dead quiet.

What kind of video card do you have? I'm guessing an 8600 or similar, I have the 8800 GTS 320

1 - 20 of 57 Posts