AVS Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm doing a theater on a budget and am considering just painting a screen with plain old paint.

Two questions:

1. How much am I giving up in terms of quality? I'll have a dedicated room where I can have pretty close to pitch black. My whole philosophy right now is "do it cheap, improve it later." However, I don't want to do things that really degrade the experience. With a decent projector, is a straight painted screen really pretty good, all things considered, or pretty bad?

2. Should I try to have a black border around it anyway? Does that help in any way?

·
DIY Granddad (w/help)
24,838 Posts
tentaguasu,

Much has to do with the PJ you select.

In any case there are basic paint solutions that will not

compromise image quality if applied correctly.

Lets see what PJ you chose first

PS. A decent black Boarder is a must . Don't dumb it down too much.

·
Registered
4 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by tentaguasu /forum/post/16905310

I'm doing a theater on a budget and am considering just painting a screen with plain old paint.

Two questions:

1. How much am I giving up in terms of quality? I'll have a dedicated room where I can have pretty close to pitch black. My whole philosophy right now is "do it cheap, improve it later." However, I don't want to do things that really degrade the experience. With a decent projector, is a straight painted screen really pretty good, all things considered, or pretty bad?

2. Should I try to have a black border around it anyway? Does that help in any way?

Hello I'm in the same boat as mr tentaguasu looking for some answers

Is Black Widow the right choice for painted screen for a pitch black room?

my projector is panasonic ptae1000u

ps I picked up some 8 oz auto air aluminum at local shop how much base do I need for a 120" screen?

·
Registered
419 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by tourist_bob44 /forum/post/16923564

ps I picked up some 8 oz auto air aluminum at local shop how much base do I need for a 120" screen?

BW will work fine in a pitch black room, but that is not what it was designed for, and being a dark gray screen it needs more light than a lighter gray screen (although just where these "gray" boundries are is a subjective matter).

For a 120" diagonal 16:9 screen I'm getting a screen luminance of 10 fL. with your PJ. This is under the 12 fL. floor that the BW designers recommend. It may work for you, but if your room is pitch black the BW is combating ambient light problems that don't exist. You would most likely get better performance out of a lighter screen mix. I would recommend something like a N9 neutral OTS (Off The Shelf) gray paint or a DIY mix called Cream&Sugar if you want something with a little extra kick.

To answer your last question, you would need a quart of paint (Valspar Ultra Premium Enamel flat or Behr #1850 tinted to match PPG Bermuda Beige #427-2) to mix with your 8 fl.oz. of AAA-F (neither the "coarse" nor "medium" flake AAA will work). The standard 40 fl.oz. of BW would probably do fine for painting your screen (are you rolling or spraying?), but I like to plan on using 1 fl.oz. of paint per square foot of screen; your 120" screen is about 43 Sq.Ft. so you might be at the edge of coverage for the standard "quart+8 fl.oz." mix.

·
DIY Granddad (w/help)
24,838 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by tourist_bob44 /forum/post/16923564

Seems a bit funny (...or perhaps decidedly not....) how you can be told that BW isn't intended for use in your situation, then also told how to mix it up and use it.

If you want superb performance from a mix, performance that can be judged by a significant increase in perceived contrast (...the Panny is no slouch...but it does need / still can use help...) while NOT lowering White performance or gain, then Silver Fire, or S-I-L-V-E-R are the applications you need to consider using. The Former for the absolute best Blacks, the latter for the absolute most "PoP".

Silver Fire is infinitely adjustable to your needs, and represents the "State of the Art" of DIY Screen making when sprayed or rolled with care using proper technique. Yes, it involves more effort, and a degree of greater expense (...but not TOO great...) but when your going BIG, you want GREAT results.

S-I-L-V-E-R must. can only be sprayed, but the making up of the mix is simplicity personified. The results are outstanding.

Take back that AAA and you'll have over 1/2 the amount of $$$ needed to put together the complete S-I-L-V-E-R mix itself.

tentaguasu.,

You still need to come back and relate your specific circumstances so YOU can be advised, lest your own thread get hijacked to the advantage of another. But be advised that I can relate to you a few superb DIY applications that can be easily mixed up and applied via Roller but that will certainly exceed the performance of any OTS paint.

·
Registered
401 Posts
I would go ahead and setup the screen and use kilz2 primer for the paint.

It is a good base coat for any of the mixes available here and you can project on it better than most surfaces.
That way when you are ready all you have to do is apply your top coating.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts