AVS Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a set of Klipsch Synergy speakers, I know they aren't the best but I used to work at Best Buy and got them for a song using my accommodation. I have a set of F-2s, S-2s, C-2, and a Sub 10.

I'd really like to have 3 HDMI inputs and don't want to mess with an external switch. Decoding the newest audio codec would be great, but not 100% necessary as I use a PS3 for my Blu-Ray purposes. I honestly don't know how much power I need but I've convinced myself that I need something as powerful as an Onkyo 805, feel free to correct me.

I had my heart set on an Onkyo 705 back in December, then the 805 dropped to my price range. I can get the Pioneer 92 for a great deal now, too. I've looked at the Yamaha 663 and it seems like a great pick save the 2 HDMI inputs. I've also looked at the refurbished Marantz 7001. Basically I've pretty much gotten myself to a point where I can't make a decision for myself.

I don't care if it's new or refurbished... just not to much over $700 ok fellas =)

List of Equipment:

Display: LN-T4066f

Speakers: Klipsch Synergy

Blu-Ray: PS3

HD-DVD: Xbox 360

Cable: Comcast HDMI Cable Box

·
Registered
68 Posts
I would go with the Pioneer 92 or 1018, the biggest annoyances so far seem to be heat on the Onkyo on the 805, and BTB/WTW clipping on the Yamaha 663

·
Registered
8,926 Posts
If you insist on not using an HDMI switch then you will loose out on great features like Volume leveling, or pre-outs, or PLIIx for PCM audio. If none of those matter to you then just go get a Pioneer 1018! It is a great receiver for a reasonable price. If those do matter to you and price is a big factor the Yamaha RX-V663 is still the receiver to beat(As long as you don't plan on using a computer with it).

·
Registered
8,926 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coolpplse /forum/post/14169838

I would go with the Pioneer 92 or 1018, the biggest annoyances so far seem to be heat on the Onkyo on the 805, and BTB/WTW clipping on the Yamaha 663

You forgot the no HDMI audio from a computer problem the RX-V663 has. BTB/WTW is easily fixed with a few tweaks. The HDMI audio problem can only be fixed with a $150 device at the moment. That is a real problem!

·
Registered
68 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by mpgxsvcd /forum/post/14169848

You forgot the no HDMI audio from a computer problem the RX-V663 has. BTB/WTW is easily fixed with a few tweaks. The HDMI audio problem can only be fixed with a $150 device at the moment. That is a real problem!

Doesnt that BTB/WTW fix involve sacrificing the 0-15 and 236-255 range and compressing the ranges to fit in the 16-235 ranges? It seems more like a workaround than a fix.... and involves compromises to 0-255 content

·
Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by mpgxsvcd /forum/post/14169841

If you insist on not using an HDMI switch then you will loose out on great features like Volume leveling, or pre-outs, or PLIIx for PCM audio. If none of those matter to you then just go get a Pioneer 1018! It is a great receiver for a reasonable price. If those do matter to you and price is a big factor the Yamaha RX-V663 is still the receiver to beat(As long as you don't plan on using a computer with it).

I meant an external switch for HDMI... the only receiver I looked at that would be an issue for me would be the Yamaha 663 since it only has 2 HDMI in.

·
Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coolpplse /forum/post/14169838

I have to say that the Pio 92 really seems like an unbeatable deal... but the Onkyo 805 still lurks heavy in the back of my head... Of course that Martanz 7001 seems awfully tempting... Oh crap, I'm still lost =)

Leaning towards the Pio 92 early on though...

1 - 7 of 7 Posts