AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just picked up a RCA antenna (I know it's probally crappy compared to others) on the way home yesterday. I wanted one to watch the Superbowl this Sunday in HD and of course I wait till the last minute. Anyway I hooked this up and laid the antenna on my front lawn and faced it south, scaned for channels and got about 20 of them. 5-6 (or more) were Digital, looked very good too. But they were not being shown in 16X9, why? Is it some setting have don't have correct?

TV- Sony 50" LCD WE

Reciever- Samsung D* sir t160 (something like that)

·
Registered
43 Posts
In most cases they are in fact 16x9 but a portion of that is the black bars placed on the side by the broadcaster. About the only thing you can do is zoom the picture in the manner that is most acceptable to you for viewing, or watch it with the black bars.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
no, these were 4X3. It's funny though, the analog signals convert to 16X9 but the digital ones don't. If I'm recieving a digital signal and the program that I'm watching is not being broadcasted in HD would it show it in 4X3? and if it was broadcasted in HD would it be 16X9?

·
Registered
1,165 Posts
motorman, have you gone to www.antennaweb.org yet & checked out what stations are available?

What is happening when you see a 4:3 show on a digital channel is, the program was not originally shot in HD so the station up-converts it & ADDS the black bars to the program then sends it out for broadcast, so when your STB receives the signal it is actually receiving a 16:9 picture, does that make since?

When you receive a signal that was originally shot in HD it will be 16:9.

The reason analog broadcasts can be stretched to fill the screen is because it is being broadcast in 4:3 & you tv is able to stretch it if you want.

A good place to see what is being broadcast in HD is www.titantv.com

If any of this does not make since, let me know & I will try to be more clear.

Jordan

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Hi Jordan, Yes I have been to antennaweb.org and also titantv.com(which is very cool). I should be able to recieve 6-8 HD channels and the ones I was looking at last night did come in digitally, but had the bars on the right and left. Now on my Sony tv I should be able to change it from Full, Zoom and wide zoom. But the tv is locked on Full. Is this because I'm using a DVI cable? ( I tried the component cables too but no luck) Also the Samsung reciever is able to change the format. When watching a OTA analog show It comes in widescreen and I can change it to full or widescreen with the Samsung. But on a digital show I can't change anything.

Tonite all be putting the antenna on the roof and will be able to check it out more.

Could it be the Samsung reciever?

·
Premium Member
7,093 Posts
Many TVs and STBs will not allow changes on 1080i or 720p signals. Usually, you can select a lower resolution output on the receiver when viewing upconverted programming to regain control of the format and, since the original wasn't HD to begin with, you really don't lose anything.

·
Registered
1,520 Posts
Your TV is locking in full because it is receiving a 720p or 1080i image. If you want your TV aspect ratio control back you have to change your box to output 480i/480p. This still won't help you though because you actually have to get your TV to go beyond full to actually push the bars (which are being broadcast by the station - not to be confused with the bars added by your TV with aspect ratio control) off the side of the screen. The new Sony/LG/Hughes box will do the special stretch to pull the bars off the side of the screen. I assume the Samsung won't (my old Samsung wouldn't).

Realize that the network/station is adding these bars only to SD material. When you view a real HD broadcast the side bars will not be there. Until I got my new LG box (which will stretch and push the bars off the side giving a full image) I always watched the SD material on the regular channel and then switched to the HD digital channel when only when an HD program would be on. Now with my LG box I do use the OTA digital channel a lot even for SD - much improved quality since DirecTV compresses my SD locals so much.

So - point is you are stuck with the bars on the right and left with your current box (and your TV aspects are not going to fix that either). If you can't live with the bars on SD sources and refuse to watch the normal analog station - then you'll have to get a new box that will do the special stretch. Otherwise, live with the limitation on SD upconverts and enjoy real HD shows when it is passed in it's true 16:9 glory.

P.S. As the Superbowl is a true HD program - it will be 16:9 and no bars added by the broadcaster.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
So only the shows or whatever that are acually broadcasted in High Definitionwill be shown in real widescreen? That will work for me! Hopefully I'll find out tonite. :D

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.