AVS Forum banner
1 - 20 of 50 Posts

·
Registered
2,023 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just picked it up today, but my uca202 wont be here for a few more days

Looking at the specs it says it only goes from 32 hz -10,000 hz C weighted , Do I have to download the calibration link on HTS to get it down to 20hz? Just want to get it up and running properly so I can take some measurements at the LP for now , and also so it will be set to go on saturday when I get the uca

also does slow or fast response matter?

·
Registered
8,595 Posts
If you are using REW, then you can simply apply the appropriate calibration file.

If you are just calibrating via pink noise it won't matter.

Slow vs. fast really doesn't matter all that much, more or less smooths out the rapid peaks if you are measuring live material.

·
Registered
2,037 Posts
I always use it on C weight and slow. Here goes man, the point of no return! LOL.

I hope REW isnt such a frustrating experience for you as it is for me. Maybe i just need to spend a few $$$ on a really good sound card for my desktop and a calibrated mic.

·
Registered
901 Posts
Reece, you scared me into not even trying.

·
Registered
2,037 Posts
Yea, ive scared myself. But like anything that scares me i have to dable in it lol.

·
Registered
2,023 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
im looking at REW , just downloaded it a bit ago , once I get my UCA202 ill calibrate everything and get it up and running.. No its not the greatest setup as far as mics and calibration goes, but its a standard used by alot of ppl on here and will tell you alot about your systems sound.. I ran some tests in chat with Notnyt.. Just using the radio shack meter out of the box.. heres what I got , Sorry for the ugliness, had to copy and paste

24 hz 100 db

27 hz - 98 db

30 hz 101 db

35 hz - 107 db

40 hz - 111 db

43 hz - 115 db

45- hz 118 db

50 hz - 118

55 hz- 117

60 hz- 114

65 hz - 108

70 hz - 104

75 hz - 111

80 hz - 117

·
Registered
2,023 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
those measurements were taken at the listening position , non corner loaded, @ 19 volts

·
Registered
2,037 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by mj79 /forum/post/18164078

those measurements were taken at the listening position , non corner loaded, @ 19 volts

Pretty hilly haha. Why stop at 24hz? Does it just get worse from there loosing steam? Im telling you that 60hz to 40hz peak is whats pissing you off. The rest looks great. If you cornerload it should help you pick up that low end. I got a 10db gain from 30hz on down just by corner loading it. And thats what enabled me to get my wicked low 16hz extension lol. I had to throw in a sarcastic remark about the low extension of the THT since there been alot of cool kids trying to knock it and say it only good to 25hz lately
. But for you nimrods who dont get the joke, it was a joke when i said that 16hz was wicked low extension.

·
Registered
2,037 Posts
Heck screw it. Since your in the money spending mood and you saved a few hundo by not going over kill on the ep4000. Order up another one of behringers finest, an EQ to lower those peaks and possibly a 3db boost or so around 20hz.

·
Registered
2,023 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by reecew /forum/post/18164519

Heck screw it. Since your in the money spending mood and you saved a few hundo by not going over kill on the ep4000. Order up another one of behringers finest, an EQ to lower those peaks and possibly a 3db boost or so around 20hz.

Shhhheeeeit.. Dont even give me anymore damn ideas..

Its up and down, but thats not a sweep , thats just an average "guesstimate " to have a general idea.. This is the 7th spot ive moved it to, and am tired of moving furniture around.. So its gonna stay like this til I get my UCA, then Im gonna go back to where it was the loudest.. The way it was originally .. behind the couch .. go figure

But it dips good from 63-75 ish but Ill get a better idea on saturday.. This was also @ 19 volts, in the 2nd best/loudest spot ive had it in so far, and the frequency will change quite a bit once I move it back

·
Registered
2,037 Posts
Yea, i know its just a pen to paper measurement. But peaks and nulls that large are easily heard by the ear and is why youve been cussing the poor wooden box lol. I hope you plan on taking that thing home with you to san anton when you leave that mobile hut. Or build a second for there? If its tempoarily up there i wouldnt get to carried away with it. But if thats its final resting place you may really want to build some bass traps and get that EQ to help your blood pressure. It is for your health after all!

·
Registered
2,023 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by reecew /forum/post/18164674

Yea, i know its just a pen to paper measurement. But peaks and nulls that large are easily heard by the ear and is why youve been cussing the poor wooden box lol. I hope you plan on taking that thing home with you to san anton when you leave that mobile hut. Or build a second for there? If its tempoarily up there i wouldnt get to carried away with it. But if thats its final resting place you may really want to build some bass traps and get that EQ to help your blood pressure. It is for your health after all!

yea the mobile hut is more like a boat house. Go snowmobile , watch movie, play games, go snowboard, watch movies play games, Tough life huh

Its not just the nulls, its room acoustics big time.. If I were to put my recliner next to the microwave in the kitchen , i dont think I would have any nulls, Its nothing but pressure .. Maybe Ill just have to do that lol..

AS far as taking it to SA with me, I dont think so.. Im gonna be renting down there for maybe one more summer then Im gonna build a house back up here. Then its go time

·
Registered
2,037 Posts
Sh** that sucks. SA is one of my favorite places, id be living there now if i couldve convinced the wife. Instead im stuck with kansas! I really enjoyed the year and a half i spent there in the army. I partied too much and got too much tail for it not to be a great memory. I guess its second only to VEGAS in my book lol. Just dont buy in that neighborhood where the retaining wall started giving way, and everyone started loosing theyre back yards!

·
Registered
2,023 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by reecew /forum/post/18164795

Sh** that sucks. SA is one of my favorite places, id be living there now if i couldve convinced the wife. Instead im stuck with kansas! I really enjoyed the year and a half i spent there in the army. I partied too much and got too much tail for it not to be a great memory. I guess its second only to VEGAS in my book lol. Just dont buy in that neighborhood where the retaining wall started giving way, and everyone started loosing theyre back yards!

i love san antonio, but The pay is much better up here.. Im the same way everytime I go there for the summers, its too fun of a town not to party all the time.. Crazy about the landslides there up on the hills.. Ill be sure to get a nice flat land place just off of 1604 , hopefully somewhere by la cantera/ Dominion area

·
Registered
2,023 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Reece Your right , REW and this UCA soundcard calibration thing can kiss my............

·
Registered
2,023 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by snickel /forum/post/18173887

REW is hard you are never sure if you have it right lol

well Im trying to calibrate my UCA202 and cant get the graph flat... ugh, i dunno whats going on here

Ill tryt again and tell you whats going on

·
Registered
2,023 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
when it says to set the input volume to match the output volume , It wont let me change the input volume, Its shaded gray

1 - 20 of 50 Posts