AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
260 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well I just finalized my order with a local hi-end store. It's all happening on Tuesday:

Fuji 42VHA20US

Chief PLP tilting wall mount

Audioplex Stealth IR repeater

Sonance 622tm in-wall speakers

DirectTV 18x20 multidish

HDVR2 DirectTivo

Sony progressive-scan DVD

The store is installing the display over a gas fireplace and running all wires back into a coat closet. The speakers will be in the wall above the display, but the Sonance have aim-able tweeters to hopefully offset the height.

I was wondering if anyone had any advice for the big day. What's the best way to check for dead pixels? How many is too many and what do I do if I see some? Are there any particular DVDs or satellite channels (no HD) that I should make sure I view to best see the quality of the picture, audio and install? The installers will calibrate, but I don't know if that means special tools and official ISF calibration, or just some guy changing tint and contrast to his liking. Should I grab Avia now or wait to see if I really need/want it? Should I have them show me S-video and component from the DVD and receiver, or is that a waste of time as component is clearly better?

Does anyone want to take my wife to a wedding on Long Island next weekend? I cannot believe I won't be here the first weekend I have my new toy. So pissed. . . . . I don't even like the couple!

·
Registered
315 Posts
Get Avia first and try and do it yourself. If you aren't satisfied with the results consider ISF. Avia is good to setup your audio as well.

Great demo DVD's (from the DVD forum here):

The Fifth Element (considered a reference disc)

North By Northwest

Gladiator....

There's a number of threads in the DVD forum.

I don't know about the Fuji, but I have a progessive scan DVD player connected to my pioneer 503cmx via compnent and to me that looks better than s-video.

·
Registered
2,169 Posts
My advice after it is all installed:

1. Get a nice pile of DVD's you want to watch or watch over...

2. Buy some good microwave popcorn: Orville's sweet n buttery, Pop Secret movie theater butter, or other fatty corn will do.:D

3. Unplug the phone.

4. Turn the lights out, the volume up, and enjoy being in "the theater" without that yawning guy next to you, or the guy that sits behind you that smells of BO, or the talking guy, or the sreaming kid lady, you get the picture!:p

PS: I used my good 'ol (debatable) eyes to set my picture.....and later used avia to check it out and came up with very very close settings to what I had. I ended up just using my eyes and some movies that I was familiar with.

·
Registered
3,161 Posts
I think I read elsewhere that AVIA has a pure white diplay pattern and that is the best thing to use for detecting dead pixels. If I'm wrong, someone please correct me.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.