AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
1,116 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just got a fantastic deal through a well known computer company. I just have one simple question. To begin this question, I will list all the equipment I have now:

1. Pio 433cmx plasma

2. Zenith 520 HD/Directv stb

3. Denon 1600 dvd

4. Pioneer Elite 45TX receiver.

Here is the configuration:

The plasma is connected to the Zenith 520 via the VGA cable. The Denon 1600 dvd player is connected via a component cable. Sound is channeled through the Pioneer receiver via optical cables.

My question is, how in the world am I going to connect the X1 with the existing set up above? Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
231 Posts
Let me think for you.

If I was in your shoe I would use X1 with VGA output on HDTV decoder and S-Video on the DVD and use the X1 internal Scaler. As for plasma use component out from the Pioneer Elite VSX-45TX. which connects the DVD player and HDTV component in.

Another method is buy yourself a very nice scaler with two VGA output. This way you get the best for Projector and Plasma.

Good Luck and hope everything works out.

Bill

·
Registered
1,116 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the info guys. Let me add one thing that I forgot to mention. I only plan on using the X1 for dvd's at night. Thus, I would only need the X1 to hook up to the Denon dvd player. I don't want to disable the component inputs from the dvd player to the plasma, thus, would s-video on the dvd player yield a good picture? Btw, I got it cheaper than that and it wasnt from Gateway:) No tax to boot!

·
Banned
539 Posts
DVD players are reasonably priced, so you could always get another DVD player for the projector. My cheapo JVC progressive scan looks pretty darn good with my X1.

·
Registered
1,116 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Yes, I just remembered that I have a panny rp-62 laying around collecting dust. I will definitely use that player to for the x1. I just wanted to make sure that the adaptor in the above link would work. I suppose it would. Now, I need to find a 15ft long toslink optical cable to connect it to my Pioneeer receiver and I should be all set!

Simmike,

Can you tell me what cable(s) you are using to hook up the JVC dvd player to the X1? Thanks in advance.

·
Banned
539 Posts
You might try ProVantage for the VGA component adapter. Sometimes they have it real cheap with cheap shipping. Infocus will charge tax and shipping.

I have a BNC to VGA breakout cable which goes to a cheapo manual VGA switchbox so I can switch between HDTV from my computer (MyHD) and the progressive scan DVD.

·
Banned
539 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by edwardr132
Simmike what brand of VGA cheapo switch box are you using? Are you having any ghosting or is it a "perfect picture"
http://www.cablesamerica.com/product...2304&sku=03365 This is the one I use. It is dirt cheap and works good. I suspect that it won't have an unlimited lifespan, being mechanical and everything, but for this price, who can argue. No ghosting or other problems. This place has pretty good prices on generic component cables also. Shipping is kind of steep, so don't just order one cheap item. Reasonable priced component cables at this place.

·
Registered
85 Posts
Well guys/gals....:D

After long and deliberated sessions on this forum I took the plunge on the X1:eek:. I ordered it today and should see it tomorrow.

I would like to thank all of the forum members input over the past 6 months as it has helped me learn a lot about front projection, rainbows, breakout cables, proper screens, etc.

A special thanks to Mandarax (from whom I purchased the X1) and his delightful little X1 mount!

I will post pictures as soon as the "theatre" is up and running.

·
Registered
144 Posts
Congrats!.. enjoy your X1! I've got almost 300 hours on mine after two months and am still thoroughly enjoying every movie I see on it.

·
Registered
18 Posts
I read that topic and remembered a Rinkworks.com Computer Stupidity entry.

About 20 down in the Hardware Abuse section, the one that starts, "About a year ago, I was called out to do field service. When I got to the lady's house and was let in, the first thing I noticed was the smell of gunpowder. The second, the double barreled 12-gauge shotgun lying on the couch. Third, the big gaping hole in the side of her computer." :D

·
Registered
85 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by supercilious
I read that topic and remembered a Rinkworks.com Computer Stupidity entry.

About 20 down in the Hardware Abuse section, the one that starts, "About a year ago, I was called out to do field service. When I got to the lady's house and was let in, the first thing I noticed was the smell of gunpowder. The second, the double barreled 12-gauge shotgun lying on the couch. Third, the big gaping hole in the side of her computer." :D
Hahaha:D I would never even think of hurting my newest toy in that respect. Now I look back at the topic header and I guess I could have worded it slightly different :p

1 day and counting....

·
Registered
85 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by jessejames
Congrats!.. enjoy your X1! I've got almost 300 hours on mine after two months and am still thoroughly enjoying every movie I see on it.
Thanks JesseJames! I am now scratching my head on how I am going to run cables....:confused:

1 - 20 of 23 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Status
Not open for further replies.