AVS Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
DIY Granddad (w/help)
24,840 Posts
Screen size? Room Lighting conditions while watching? Throw distance?

More input is needed, but this much is clear. At 1000 lumens and 4000:1 CR, any size over 116" diagonal becomes problematical as far as your keeping to something that would cost less, yet offer you the best results

·
DIY Granddad (w/help)
24,840 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by bulls4ever7 /forum/post/19545275

I want something around 90"-100". Don't know if I will be able to get 100". My room gets a little light in the day and 0 at night. Throw distance will be around 8'9"-9'4".

RS-MaxxMudd LL or Standard would be the least expensive "high performance" route to take, the former being "rollable".

·
Registered
329 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
What's RS-MaxxMudd LL? What do you mean Standard?

The last thing you said means I could use a roller and don't have to use a spray gun?

Also I will be using it for bluray movies and ps3 games.

·
DIY Granddad (w/help)
24,840 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by bulls4ever7 /forum/post/19545552

What's RS-MaxxMudd LL? What do you mean Standard?

The last thing you said means I could use a roller and don't have to use a spray gun?

Also I will be using it for bluray movies and ps3 games.

"Standard" refers to the RS-MaxxMudd formula one first sees at the top of the lead-off page on the Official RS-MaxxMudd thread.

As for the latter, I just wanted to make note that the RS-MaxxMudd LL "could be rolled" due to it's higher ratio of UPW within the mix. However ANY such mix is better applied by, and performs better by spraying it on to achieve the most ideal finish.

·
DIY Granddad (w/help)
24,840 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by bulls4ever7 /forum/post/19548900

k, where could I get all the paints from RS-MaxxMudd LL? My room is painted white, do I have to remove the paint? The paint is not flat, it looks like it has a lot of bubbles.

Remove...no. Smooth...yes. Tape off the perimeter of the Screen area +2" on all sides, then sand lightly but completely using a large Medium Grit Sanding sponge (Norton type 3" x 8" @ Home Depot) Your just trying to smooth...not remove. Then afterward, wipe clean with a dry cloth, and apply at least one coat of Primer to the area...two ideally. Check for blemishes...very lightly sand again...then Roll or spray on your poison.

Read this Thread.
http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=1139061

RS-MaxxMudd LL(for lower lumen pj's and controlled light home theaters)

16 oz. Delta Pearl Metallic #02601 (Michaels)

10 oz. Delta Silver Metallic #02603 (Michaels)

3 oz. Folk Art Champagne Metallic Gold #675 (Michaels)

10 oz. UPW Flat Behr Premium Plus Ultra Interior Enamel (Home Depot)

16 oz. Minwax Polycrylic - Satin finish - Water Based (Home Depot)

12 oz. distilled/tap water**

The Metallic paints are available at Michaels Arts and Crafts or online (Dick Blicks Art Supplies.

i hope you do decide to spray. It's inexpensive and by far offers the most promising results.

·
Registered
329 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Can I use any spray gun? My vacuum could turn into a spray gun, is it k to use it?

I check for the metallic paints in Dick Blicks Art Supplies site but, I didn't find anything when I search for those paints. Are they called another name? I have a Michaels Arts and Crafts near to me so I might just get it where it's cheaper.

·
DIY Granddad (w/help)
24,840 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by bulls4ever7 /forum/post/19558209

Can I use any spray gun? My vacuum could turn into a spray gun, is it k to use it?

I check for the metallic paints in Dick Blicks Art Supplies site but, I didn't find anything when I search for those paints. Are they called another name? I have a Michaels Arts and Crafts near to me so I might just get it where it's cheaper.

No...not just any gun...you need a HVLP Gun that turns the paint into a finely atomized mist.

Try Michaels, but a quick search under any of those specific paint names will provide multiple sources.

·
DIY Granddad (w/help)
24,840 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by bulls4ever7 /forum/post/19565044

I got UPW Flat Behr Premium Plus but it doesn't say Ultra Interior Enamel. In the front of the can it says no:2-3050. Can I use that one?

Yes. The "Ultra" designation refers to their best Self Priming Paint. The advantage of using the water based "Interior Enamel" is a tighter, denser paint cure that exhibits a tiny bit more sheen than a pure Flat Latex alone does.

But the paint you do have will work just fine, and has in hundreds of instances.

·
Registered
329 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Well, I will need to sand my wall if I want to paint it. Any thing I could use for a screen that I don't have to paint on the wall? Also, I have tried a blackout cloth and when I compare it to my white wall, the wall looks normal but on the small piece of blackout cloth it makes the colors look blue. Anyone know why?

Is painting better than a blackout cloth?

1 - 13 of 13 Posts