AVS Forum banner
1 - 20 of 51 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hello im so lost with speakers right now its def the main area i am not very smart in. i just purchased a brand new 607 and i am looking to upgrade my speakers. id like to spend 500, but 550-570 MAX. im really looking for a 5.1 set up, but 7.1 isn't bad either.

i was looking at the polk rm75, just 4 rm7's and a rm7 Center channel. but this has changed frequently and i am not sure if those are even good.

subs i have been have a very hard time finding subs. i want something that sounds good. i have an 8 inch sub now, and would really like a 10 inch, i havent been able to find any real 12's in my price range.

if you can suggest speakers could you please be kind enough to give some advisor. thank you

·
The Village Idiot
9,711 Posts
For that budget you might want to consider putting your speaker setup together a piece at a time. A good subwoofer can cost more than your total budget.

Why not rethink your approach? Get the front three now - or better yet just the front L&R speakers. Lots of good sounding main speakers. Do you want towers? Bookshelfs?

What is your mix of listening? Mostly movies/tv or music? How large is the room that you will be placing the speakers in?

I'm guessing here but I imagine you spent around $500 for your 607 - you should have spent less on your AVR and more on the speakers. You could have gotten by with an Onkyo 506 or 576 for much less and had better sound with better speakers. Speakers will make more difference in sound quality than an AVR can.

If you can - take the 607 back and spend less on the next AVR - or up the budget.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
i spent 400 on the 607 on amazon, that's why i jumped on it. i purchased it to really future proof, im not looking to get a new receiver for some time. im only looking for 5 bookshelfs and sub. how much do you think my budget should be?

i watch all range of movies really, and listen to music quite a bit. (right now i have an onkyo htib 4100)

i live in a town house the room is rather small i would say 10 x 13w

should i think about the htib 7200?

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
i was looking at energy for a little, but i wasn't sure because of name. are they respectable? they seem pretty heavy which seems good and high quality build. i was looking at bic sub that looks nice as well. thank you very much for the ideas. i wish the sub was sold outside of ebay. but im going to look further into that.

·
Registered
1,379 Posts
Energy is a very well known brand for speakers. There are two main BIC America distributors: Sounddistributor and Accousticsounddesign. They both sell on ebay, amazon, and their own website.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
thank you guys really for the quick replies

the bic looks really nice and the energy speakers looks great. im really thinking about getting them both, thanks, no really thanks.

are 10 inch subs better than 12 inch subs, or down firing or front firing? with the bic h-100 will i have to manually turn it on and off? with those energy speakers are those able to be mounted on universal mounts? i have seen some speaker companys make you have to buy their special stands, but i would rather not have to buy new ones.

what do you guys think of This

·
Registered
5,545 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by jephdood /forum/post/17009660

Premier Acoustics is a very legitimate brand. Definitely NOT White Van.

I'll agree with this one and should have a review of their PA-8F HT posted on ElectronicHouse.com in the next few weeks. That said, I'm not sure the Monitor 4.2 system is the way I'd go unless you're looking for micro-sat type speakers. My first gut-reaction in your budget would be 2 pairs of TSC TSBs, a TC2, and a Premier PA-120... but there are a surprising number of options even in this budget range. I'd look at options from TSC, Elemental Design, as well as the Jamo and Energy deals from WWStereo and some of the Polk deals from NewEgg (watch TechBargains for price drops and coupon codes).

Regardless of the speakers you chose, the Premier PA-120 may be about the best sub you can find in/around your price range.

While piecing together a system will no doubt help you put together a better system once it's completed, if you're really itching for 5.1 now and don't think you'll be quick to fall prey to the upgrade bug, you really can do surprisingly well with $500 these days.

·
Registered
29,106 Posts

·
The Village Idiot
9,711 Posts
In such a small room the Infinity Primus speakers would sound great. The P162s for L&R - a C250 center (the C350 is much better - cost more) - and the P142 surrounds. They are ported in the front and can be wall mounted - and they fit the OPs budget. My pick for a sub would be the Infinity PS212 but the PS10 would sound pretty good in that small room.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I really like those primus. The c350 looks really nice and the ps212 is amazing to my liking. Is the 350 worth the extra 30$ over the 250? And I was looking to not go over 550. But at 608 those do seem tempting. Good thing i am waiting a few weeks till I purchase

Once again thank you everyone.

It looks like the prices of the prices of the speakers are very good on the site you noted down. Only problem is shipping is insane. And on amazon and other places the prices are very high

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Prices are crazy, no one has similar prices. And shipping is 103 dollars on the site listed. To bad no one else has those types of prices with free

shipping. No one has the ps-212 for under like 350

·
The Village Idiot
9,711 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pingwhen /forum/post/17015196

Prices are crazy, no one has similar prices. And shipping is 103 dollars on the site listed. To bad no one else has those types of prices with free

shipping. No one has the ps-212 for under like 350

If you are going to buy a lot of speakers from them call them and see what kind of package deal they will make. If shipping is for all the speakers I lised plus the sub that isn't all that bad.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I think I'm gonna try that. Hopefully they can get me a deal I'm really digging those speakers the reviews are rather well except for the few complaints about the 212' amp burning literally.

man i cant wait till i can order these.

·
The Village Idiot
9,711 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pingwhen /forum/post/17015946

I think I'm gonna try that. Hopefully they can get me a deal I'm really digging those speakers the reviews are rather well except for the few complaints about the 212' amp burning literally.

man i cant wait till i can order these.

The amp problem was fixed over a year ago - anything on the market sold as new or refurbished will have the updated amps. I've had my PS212 nearly a year - it doesn't even get very warm even after heavy bass movies. A major complaint with the old amp were that they ran hot.

1 - 20 of 51 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.