AVS Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I should start by saying I'm a digital nooob. I was fortunate enough to pick one up on the great auction site for around $650
I'm trying to figure out the accessories I need. I've decided against an external mic since from what I've read they don't provide a whole lot over against the built in mic. So, I'm getting a better battery, case/bag, extra 32GB card and looking for a good lens.. which brings me to my first question.

1. Is there a better lens than the Panasonic VW-W4607H-K I should be considering?

2. Are all hoods virtually the same or is there one that stands above the rest? ie. Mennon vs Pro Digital.

3. Which full 3 legged tripod is a good choice? I'm getting a Joby SLR-Zoom, but I want a full tripod as well.

4. Are filters worth getting? Which ones?

5. Any other accessories I should be considering?

·
Banned
26 Posts
You also should consider getting a video light, preferably a dimmable light. So you can shoot in dark areas and use it as a fill light. Trust me, it can improve your video quality.

I believe your new camcorder has a 3.5mm jack input for mic? If yes, then you has lot of mics to choose from. The internal mic is not nice. It is so sensitive that it will pick up noise surrounding you and prone to pick up wind noise too. A good external mic (with windscreen) able to reduce background and wind noises.

·
Registered
929 Posts
I bought a neutral density filter just to protect the lens.

I'm not sure what a hood would do for me; make the camera bigger?

My wireless mic does not improve the built in mic per se, but when the activity or speaker is 30 to 60 feet away from the camera and the audience is 6 to 10 feet away, guess what gets recorded! You want a mic that is not sensitive, one that picks up only what is within half an arms length from the mic. The internal mic is quite sensitive, quite good for family activity, which is probably most of the time, but on those occasions where you don't want all the audience noise, plug in the external.

I got several 32GB SDHC cards from Supermediastore for $56 each, free shipping. Watch for specials. AVOID the HONG KONG SCAMS.

·
Banned
26 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichardT /forum/post/19573331

I bought a neutral density filter just to protect the lens.

I'm not sure what a hood would do for me; make the camera bigger?.

The primary purpose of lens hood is to block lens flare. But in my opinion, it's not very effective. Yes, it makes your camcorder bigger too

Get more info about lens hood if you are interested:

http://toothwalker.org/optics/lenshood.html

·
Registered
26 Posts
This thread pertains to me quite nicely, so I'll post here instead of creating a new thread. Hopefully everyone is OK with that.

I need to purchase an extended battery. Can you tell me which model number is the best one? Thanks.

·
Registered
5,516 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by caminator /forum/post/19576544

I need to purchase an extended battery. Can you tell me which model number is the best one? Thanks.

The operating instructions must have the list of bundled and optional accessories. But since I am already writing this, the "small" battery is the VBG130, the "medium" is VBG260. I don't think that the large VBG6 will fit, because the LCD won't close.

Get a knockoff battery from eBay for $15 or so, but make sure it is a decoded one, and shows remaining charge time.

·
Registered
929 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ungermann /forum/post/19575242

People use an UV filter for that. ND filter is for reducing amount of light hitting the lens.

Thank you for catching my sloppy terminology. I hadn't realized the difference. The filter I got is a HOYA UV(c). Guess I was just lucky on that one.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Thanks for the info. I'm also needing a wide angle lens and a 32gb flash card. I don't want to spend very much on a lens, so the best one for like $50 or less. I see a lot of them out there. Are they terrible at that price and not even worth buying? i hope not. Can anyone recommend a flash card? I see several different types SCHD and SXHD or something like that. Please help!!

·
Registered
2 Posts
Greetings,

I am also a newbie to HD and just purchased a Panasonic tm700. My question concerns the media (sd cards). If this information is available elsewhere in the forum please advise.

It appears the Class4 card is the minimun suggested. I assume the Class# basicly refers to the transfer speed as well as the incamera capture speed?

Less then #4 will not keep up with captured video? Where is the sweet spot for "bang for the buck"? I purchased two Sandisk Extreme 16gb class6 (20mb/s + 133X) with the camera and would consider 32gb as well.

In a nutshell, what do I need to know about these issues (considering archiving as well)? TIA Dennis

·
Registered
5,516 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dennis Long
I assume the Class# basicly refers to the transfer speed as well as the incamera capture speed?
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Secure_...d_Class_Rating
Quote:
Less then #4 will not keep up with captured video? Where is the sweet spot for "bang for the buck"? I purchased two Sandisk Extreme 16gb class6 (20mb/s + 133X) with the camera and would consider 32gb as well.
Class 6 is fine.
Quote:
In a nutshell, what do I need to know about these issues (considering archiving as well)?
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/AVCHD#S...te_memory_card and follow the links. Memory cards is not archival-grade media.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Ungermann,

Thanks for the info. As far as archiving is concerned, I have been using original unedited SD Minidvd tapes for many years with few issues. What would be archival options without downgrading the original tm700 60p video?

TIA, Dennis

·
Registered
3,075 Posts
An external hard drive will give plenty of space and you can also put your footage on Data DVDs and date Blu-Ray discs.

You just have to make sure it's in at least 2 different places.

·
Registered
5,516 Posts
Quote:
As far as archiving is concerned, I have been using original unedited SD Minidvd tapes for many years with few issues. What would be archival options without downgrading the original tm700 60p video?
Any digital media of your choice, same that you use for your other digital data. If you backup to DVDs or BDs, then you may be able to watch raw clips on your BD player (depends on a player, and requires correct file structure). Presently, my preferred way of creating backup discs is MultiAVCHD. Or, if you shoot on cards and use only 4GB or 8GB cards, you can try this approach: http://www.avchduser.com/articles/avchd_to_bluray.jsp

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.