AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
298 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have just purchased the Yamaha s1200, it is hooked up to a RX-V2095 Yamaha receiver using the digital optical connector.

I have found that when playing a DVD AUDIO disc, I only can get two channel pcm and not 5.1 digital surround. I have looked on this site and have found a lot of information on this subject but I am still confused. Any help would be great on any of the questions I have posted.

First: Why does the Digital light on my receiver not flag when playing the disc. It says on the box that I have the option of (Advanced Resolution Surround)(Advanced Resolution Stereo) or (DVD-VIDEO COMPATIBLE DOLBY DIGITAL) The disc is Fleetwood Mac. I went through all the groups on the DVD. When I play movies the light flags so everything is hooked up right.

Second: Maybe this answers the above question. Do I need to hook up the analog outputs of the DVD player to the Receiver to get the best sound from the A-dvd, and if I do this will I loose my sub-woofer. I know that the DAC is better on the DVD Player, but if I go that way, I won't have the DSP of the Yamaha receiver working for me, would this be a big drawback? Also if I do need to hook up this way, why? What is wrong with the Digital Optical hook up?

Third: What is MPAA copy right protection, is there a code I need to receive the good signal.

Fourth: Is the sampling rate of the DVD player too high for the Receiver? Maybe this is why I can't receive the better signal.

Fifth: If I buy a new receiver with a higher sampling rate, will I then be able to use the digital optical hook up.

I must say that when playing DD and DTS dvd movies, the sound is great. I really have no problem with the receiver but it pisses me off:mad: that I can not receive the best possible sound when listening to a A-DVD. Any help would be great. Sorry so many questions but this has really been bothering me. Thank you for your time and I am looking forward to hearing anything from anybody.

·
Registered
14 Posts
From what I understand, you can't send dvd-audio digitally. Your receiver would need a dvd-audio decoder. Not sure if one exists yet. I think you need to hook up the 5.1 analog cables from the dvd to the receivers 5.1 analog input (assuming it has them) to make full use the the dvd-a 5.1 channels. Also, there are only a few dvd-a players that have bass managment (lfe) with dvd-a output. Hope that helps.

·
Registered
298 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks Mike, I might just leave it the way it is. If anybody else has any ideas I would love to hear them. Thanks again Mike.

·
Registered
863 Posts
I don't know about your Yamaha player specifically, but if it is DVD-Audio capable you MUST use the 5.1 analog connections to hear the DVD-Audio. Only the player can decode it. Leave the digital connection for DD and DTS and have the receiver handle that. The .1 channel is your sub woofer channel, so assuming the sub is connected to the LFE output of the receiver, it will still be used. However bass management won't be done on it, so this could cause problems if you have small speakers. Outlaw has a product called the ICBM, you'd put it between the DVD player and the receiver and it would filter all the low stuff and put it in the subwoofer.

MPAA copy protection is probably Macro-Vision, and you just have to live with it. If you are using composite, S-Video or component to connect to your TV, its not a problem, but you can't record it to VHS without using some device to defeat it.

The sampling rate shouldn't be a problem here. DVD-Audio is not allowed to go out the digital connection for copy protection reasons, so a new receiver is not going to help in this case.

·
Registered
298 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks Keith for the great information. I wonder if there will be a problem with sound quality if I have both the Digital optical output and the Analog output hooked up at the same time?

·
Registered
863 Posts
There shouldn't be any affect on the quality, it should have been designed with this in mind. Just check your menus and make sure you set DD and DTS to go through the digital output. Then choose the appropriate input on the receiver. Even if it is decoding the DD and sending it out the analog outputs, it won't matter when you are listening to the digital output.

·
Registered
298 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks again Keith.

·
Registered
298 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Well I just hooked up the Analog out from the DVD to the receiver and it SOUNDS GREAT!!!!!!!! I also have the digital optical hooked up and I put a DVD in and it plays DTS and DD fine through the optical, or I can use the DAC from the DVD by placing the Receiver on external decoder. Man I feel like a kid a Christmas. Also my Subwoofer works fine when playing the DVD Audios. I heard that it would not work. My DVD has six channels out which includes the Sub.(5.1) I guess my DVD has Bass Managment. Thanks Mike and Keith for your help.

·
Registered
863 Posts
In all likelihood there isn't bass management. If there was then you'd see a lot more people jumping on this thing, as that's considered the biggest drawback to the current DVD-Audio players. DVD-Audio discs have a dedicated LFE track, just as DD and DTS do. Its a matter of how well they are mixed as to how good it will sound. Unfortuantely you could find a disc where its putting a lot of bass out through the center channel, which probably won't work for most people. Hopfully the producers will think about that situation when mixing these. Obviously you've gotten some good discs, hopefully it will continue to be that way.

·
Registered
298 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Well Keith I don't know much about the bass managment issue, but when I go over to my subwoofer it is putting out a lot of bass. I guess I just don't understand, I mean if the sub is putting out sound it is getting that signal from the .1 input right? The DVD-A disc I am playing is Fleetwood Mac. Anyway, all the info I got here just saved me alot of money because I was going to buy a new receiver, and thanks to you and Mike, I will keep this one for a while. Take care man.

·
Registered
863 Posts
Bass management deals with taking bass from speakers that can't handle it, and putting it with the LFE into the subwoofer. When you set up your receiver and tell it some of your speakers were small, and some were large, that is bass management. Everything below a certain frequency (100Hz or 80Hz, I'm not sure which) is removed from any speaker you say is small, and put to the subwoofer. Unfortunately with DVD-Audio you don't have that control, so a full range signal is being sent to all the speakers, and only the bass in the .1 channel is sent to the sub. This is fine if you have large speakers all around, but if you don't it could provide problems.

The Outlaw ICBM is made to go between the receiver and the DVD player and adds bass management for you. Basically you run your 6 analog connections to the ICBM, then run 6 connections out of there to the receiver. It will then strip the bass out of those channels that can't handle it and pipe it to the sub.

·
Registered
298 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
You are the Man. Now I understand all of this. I just hope I did not wreck my rear speakers.

One more question. How do you know if you hurt your speakers, I know it sounds dumb, but I am just wondering if you can take some of the quality out of them, or if it just blows them out, and then you can't hear anything from them or it is really staticky.

Thanks man for all the info. I am sure that you have also helped other people that have looked at this thread.

Is there a tester for speakers to see if they are damaged.

·
Registered
298 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Also what is considered to be small rear speakers. They were already in the ceiling when we moved in to the house so I don't know what they are, but they are 7in. across.

I hope that I can answer a question for you someday but the way it looks that will never happen. Take care.

·
Registered
863 Posts
Well thanks for the compliments, I just try to help when I can. You won't hurt a small speaker by sending it a full range signal. You just won't hear everything that is there. An ideal large speaker is one that can play 20Hz to 20kHz without much loss at either end of the spectrum. Most speakers don't do this well. If you have something that goes down close to 40Hz then you could easily call that large. But this is all subjective and depeds on your taste. In most cases I bet that most people have small speakers for the rear and center, do to size and placement issues. For your DD and DTS I would set the rear to small. I don't know the rest of your speakers so I can't recommend anything. If you have towers for the mains set them to large.

If you damage a speaker, you should hear something thats just not right. The only time you might not notice is if a tweeter were to go dead on a rear speaker. Since you don't focus on those, and you don't know what exactly you're supposed to hear anyways, that could feasibly happen. But that will only happen if you are playing something wtih high pitched tones very, very loudly. The speaker's crossover will filter out anything too low for the tweeter, so you shouldn't have to worry about it.

·
Registered
298 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Again, many thanks. Take care.

·
Registered
1 Posts
When reading through the manual it appears the new Yamaha S1200 Has bass managemnt for DVD Audio! If it does I may buy one! Can you check to see what comes out of your front speakers when they are set to SMALL . You will need to shut off your sub for this experiment to work. IF you get no bass... try setting them to LARGE and see if you now have bass. Remember to use a DVD Audio disc.

·
Registered
298 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Joedude,

I will do that for you today and let you know.

·
Registered
298 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
ok, I unhooked my sub and went into the audio options of the DVD player and set the main speakers to LARGE and turned the sub OFF. I had bass in the front speakers.

I set the speakers to small and it would not let me turn off the sub, every time I tryed, it would change the main speakers back to large. So I left the sub on but had it unhooked, and I set the main speakers to small. I played the DVD-A and it still had bass coming from the main speakers.

In both tests the bass sound was the same. It sounded good, but I could not tell if there was more or less on ether try.

When the sub is hooked up it works good and the overall sound of the DVD-A is GREAT. You can really tell the difference between playing it through the Analog outputs and the digital optical outputs. (ANALOG ALL THE WAY.)

Anyway I called Yamaha and they said that the DVD-S1200 has Bass Management. Do they know what they are talking about; I don't know.

I hope this helps a little. I can say that the picture and the sound of DVD Movies is just great coming from this DVD player. I just watched (Driven) last night and it looked crystal clear with great color.

Take care.

·
Registered
863 Posts
I'm guessing here, but I wouldn't be surprised if the bass management the player has is for DD and DTS only. The #1 complaint I've heard about the current generation of players is that they don't include bass management for DVD-Audio, and supposedly none have it yet. However it may be possible that Yamaha is the first, but if that were the case I think this would be the hottest selling DVD-Audio player and all the boards would be loaded with messages about it.

Try this, turn your sub off, but tell the player you have it. Then set all the speakers to small and see if any bass comes out of the mains. If bass is still coming out, then its ignoring the bass management.

·
Registered
14 Posts
According to the denon website, the 4800 claims the world's first bass managment. I guess these are the next generation players.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.