AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
1,273 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have traded a debt that is owed to me for a Sharp 9000U & doing it because of the many great things that I've read on this forum about this projector.

I have never seen it in action because it is virtually impossible here in Toronto to find a dealer that has one let alone set up so I am taking my chances on it because this individual doesn't have the money to pay me what he owes me so I figured what the heck...better than nothing plus if he ever goes bankrupt at least I have something to show for what was owed to me & last but not least if I don't like what I see after I set it up I will be more than happy to part with it here on this forum for $5,000 since there are many that consistently praise it here & yes it is brand spanking new.

Now...I need to know a few things..

1) what screen should I be leaning towards? I would like a 150" diagonal & the projector will be 17 feet away from the screen. Is 150" too large for the distance I will be watching my movies at? I will be approx 15 feet away & will be viewing strictly DVD's for now since I don't have an HDTV Satellite system to watch HDTV.

2) cables have to run from the projector to the DVD source & I figure about 35 feet since I have to run them across the wall to hide them so does this mean the longer the cable the worse the picture quality? Does it matter how long the cables are? And what cables should I be looking to buy.

3) What progressive scan DVD Player should I get? I have read a few threads but I don't care to go overboard on DVD Players so I was leaning towards the Panasonic DVD-RP56 but if I have to spend a little more than so be it but my budget on a DVD player is no more than $500 & I don't care to go the HTPC route either so will this Panasonic do a good job?

4) Do I need any other external scaling devices or what comes with the Sharp adequate for the occasional DVD viewing?

5) My only problem with this unit that I have read is the Lumens being what around 800 or so? I'm afraid that it will not be bright enough for where it will be set up. My set-up will be in the living room where there's always ambient lighting since the living room is overlooked by the kitchen. I need to know if the grayhawk is the proper screen for extra lighting & if not what other options do I have for screens.

6) I have never set any FP's up ever so this will be my first time but trying to do it in a temporary fashion in case I don't like what I see that way it is easy to take down & sell what I invested in so what I need to know is will I have a hard time as a novice trying to get a pretty good picture out of this machine or will I need to hire one of these guys to come & calibrate it for me? If not what other DVD's are available to buy so that I can fine tune the picture quality or do I need to will eyesight alone do the job?

7) If I am missing anything that is important to add to this so that I can get the best possible picture please inform.

Thank you guys/gals in advance & just for the record I have seen LCD & DLP projectors out there & there wasn't one that I was pleased with including the Seleco 250HT but this being a different chip with a higher contrast ration I am hoping it will do the job. Also note that I am not sensitive to rainbows but do hate the screendoor but it looks like that won't be a problem with this projector.

Hope it goes well & if not there will be someone else happy here at AVS that will end up with it for a darn good price.

Regards

Chris

One other note: I need to achive 1280x720 resolution & I hate watching movies in 4:3 it must be 16:9 so how would I be able to do that is that an option in the Sharp?

·
Registered
1,180 Posts
Chris, not to sound condescending, but your screen size, with this projector, is not really feasable.

The 800 lumen rating, even in a pitch black room, with a screen with gain, will have a hard time properly illuminating your 150" diagnoal screen.

Throw in the ambient light, and its game over. The grayhawk, while reducing ambient light, also leads to a hit in light output, further compounding your problems.

This is my opinion, though, coming from a 600 lumen projector on a 120" diagonal screen. You may find it acceptable.

The only way to deal with this, is to consider a smaller screen.

As for the other things, I, unfortunately, do not know enough about the Sharp yet to fully comment.

"One other note: I need to achive 1280x720 resolution & I hate watching movies in 4:3 it must be 16:9 so how would I be able to do that is that an option in the Sharp?"

If you mean taking a normally 4x3, non letterboxed movie and watching it in 16x9, I believe there are several options. 1st, you zoom it, cropping the tops and bottoms, or...you expand it, making everyone look a little short and chubby. some have the abillity to only distort the geometry in the ends of the image, leaving the centre normal, but I don't know if the sharp can do that.

Other than that, when you do get it setup, let me know, as I would love to come take a look! The only Sharp dealer does not have it on display, because it is special order, $14,999 Canadian! Hopefully, you got a better deal.

·
Registered
1,273 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the advice David..

I am not stuck at 150" that is just a preference but on the other hand 120" will do just fine if that is the way I must go.

I do not buy movies that are not offered in letterbox meaning 16x9 regardless the ratio being 2:35:1 or what have you. If a DVD movie is only offered in 4:3 then it is NOT in my library so I don't have that problem of converting it.

Chris

·
Registered
2,289 Posts
Hi Chris,

There's another thread going on AVS where Don Stewart (of Stewart Filmscreen) posted a review info of this projector, along with screen size recommendations.

He does not recommend the GrayHawk with this projector for screens substantially larger than 100". Larger than that, and he's been recommending the StudioTek 130 (a 1.3 gain white screen).

HOWEVER, he just posted some interesting information yesterday: Stewart is working on a new screen just for DLP (which tend to have lower lumens than the LCD and D-ILA projectors that the GrayHawk was originally designed for. That screen is due "soon", so you might consider just projecting on a white sheet, or the wall or something until that screen arrives.

The Sharp has an excellent internal scaler. With a good progressive DVD player, you won't need anything else. You might not even need a progressive DVD player, as the Sharp does 3:2 pulldown detection and such quite well. The only firm recommendation I've heard for getting an external scaler is for video content (like cable or satellite), where the Faroudja Native Rate scalers apparently work wonders (for $3000+).

The Sharp is, by all accounts (mine is on order) plug-and-play. Don Stewart tweaked his very slightly to achieve 6500K color temperature, but largely left it alone.

Finally, cables. If you search for posts from my username, you'll find a recent thread discussing sources of quality, no-voodoo cables for reasonable prices. There were several recommendations from folks, but I haven't had the chance to follow up on them yet.

·
Registered
479 Posts
I am also a brand-new 9000 owner.

Quote:
Originally posted by Chris Dallas
1) what screen should I be leaning towards? I would like a 150" diagonal & the projector will be 17 feet away from the screen. Is 150" too large for the distance I will be watching my movies at? I will be approx 15 feet away & will be viewing strictly DVD's for now since I don't have an HDTV Satellite system to watch HDTV.
Use my Screen Dimension Calculator to calculate throw distance and maximum seating distance. 150" is too big -- the Sharp's not bright enough. Visit the Screens forum. Don Stewart is addressing screen/9000 combinations there.

Quote:
2) cables have to run from the projector to the DVD source & I figure about 35 feet since I have to run them across the wall to hide them so does this mean the longer the cable the worse the picture quality? Does it matter how long the cables are? And what cables should I be looking to buy.
35 feet is no problem. I've got 40 feet. Bought mine from http://www.avcable.com. Great prices!

Quote:
3) What progressive scan DVD Player should I get?
I bought the RP56. It has the Sage chip and you can't beat the price.

Quote:
4) Do I need any other external scaling devices or what comes with the Sharp adequate for the occasional DVD viewing?
Unless you've got $3,000+ to throw around, I don't think you need an external scaler. The Sharp has one of the, if not the best internal scalers ever.

Quote:
or will I need to hire one of these guys to come & calibrate it for me? If not what other DVD's are available to buy so that I can fine tune the picture quality or do I need to will eyesight alone do the job?
This projector is as plug and play as they get. Turn it on and it looks great. To achieve 6500K color temperature, follow Don Stewart's advice in the Screens forum: Set color temp to -2, turn red up a little, turn blue down a little, and set the 9000 to use Gamma 1. Done. If you want to use a DVD for finer adjustments, buy Avia... or wait until some new ones come out. I think Avia and Video Essentials both have new versions on the way.

Quote:
One other note: I need to achive 1280x720 resolution & I hate watching movies in 4:3 it must be 16:9 so how would I be able to do that is that an option in the Sharp?
The 9000's DLP chip is 1280x720 so you've have full resolution letterbox movies right out of the box. (Pun intended.)

·
Registered
1,273 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Ok..

just finished setting up the Sharp 9000 (temporary for a quick look) in my warehouse (since it's where I received it) against the worst white/dirty brick wall with tiny little holes everywhere & all I can say is WOW! It blew me away!

Remember now..this is coming from a guy (me) who has seen many DLP's in the past year or so including LCD's & I hadn't seen even one that was worth considering.

I was projecting a 144 inch image from 27 feet away with S-Video hook up from a non progressive DVD Player. I CAN'T wait to see it from a proper set-up on a Stewart screen! I think this baby is a keeper & I wouldn't even consider selling now that I've seen it.

For those that are in the North York area around Keele & Steeles you are welcomed to come by tomorrow to take a look. I am at 800 Petrolia Rd #18 which is one block east of Keele running south off Steeles near York University but please call before you come so that I can set it up again it only takes a min or so. My business # there is 416-739-0919 & just ask for Chris & tell me that you are from the AVS Forum & I will be glad to have you by.

Now if I could only find 35-40 foot component cables at a reasonable price & then the screen, still not sure what screen to go with but I am considering a 120 inch Stewart but don't know which one. Grayhawk is out of the question after reading Don Stewart's response after he tested the Sharp 9000 on other threads.

hmmm...any suggestions?

Regards

Chris

BTW..

the projection on my wall was 144" wide & not diagonally so larger of course in diagonal. Wonder how I figure that out? Anyone? thx.

·
Registered
4,525 Posts
Pretty trusting guy there, Chris.

While this is a great group of folks, I don't know if it's the best idea to publish the address of your new $8K piece of equipment on the Internet.

Having said that, I wish I were closer as I would like to see this projector.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Chris Dallas wrote:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

.....the projection on my wall was 144" wide & not diagonally so larger of course in diagonal. Wonder how I figure that out? Anyone? thx.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Given a 16:9 image (or 1:78 to 1), a 144" wide image should be 80.9" high. Using Pythagoras theorem (a2 + b2 = c2) you get a diagonal of approx 165".

·
Registered
479 Posts
Quote:
Now if I could only find 35-40 foot component cables at a reasonable price
I just bought 40 foot cables from http://www.avcable.com. Good quality. Good guys to work with. Reasonable price. Ordered them Friday, got them today.

Quote:
the projection on my wall was 144" wide & not diagonally so larger of course in diagonal. Wonder how I figure that out? Anyone? thx.
Use my Screen Dimension Calculator. It will do the math for you.

·
Registered
1,273 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thank you Augie, Paul, Milori & everyone else that helped. You guys here are the best & I plan on reading this forum from now on & try learning as I go.

Regards

Chris

·
Registered
1,273 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Hi David,

I tried it with both total darkness & with the lights on in the front area of the warehouse & the wall that it was projecting on was in the back area of the warehouse & in both cases it was pleasing to watch.

I like it & never thought I would if that says much. :)

Chris

·
Registered
121 Posts
I have used the 9000 for almost 2 months now. First, I do NOT agree that the internal scaler of the Sharp is even good, much less "the best ever." I have a Sony HD-100 Directv receiver that I have connected 3 ways: 1. 1080i output via component 2. 480i output via component 3. 480p through iScan Pro

Using the internal scaler of the Sharp (#2), the picture was far worse than the other options. Crawlies all over the place, sub-par color reproduction compared to either the Sony scaler or the iScan. Additionally, you have to manually change to 3:2 pulldown when watching film sources. How many of you actually do this?

The projector scaler does fine on 480i and 480p from DVD, but if any of you have viewing habits similar to mine, satellite makes up quite a bit of my daily viewing and the Sharp is simply mediocre. The NEC LT150 has a better picture at the same size on satellite than the 9000. I would highly recommend using a high quality scaler with this projector.

I wouldn't go much larger than 106-110 inches from your viewing distance, unless of course you watch nothing but 480p+ sources. Then it is possible to go up to about 120", but I agree with all of the caveats already listed. I tend to lean towards a smaller, brighter and snappier image, so I use a 100" screen. Good luck.

Steve

·
Registered
236 Posts
I just got a 9000 myself and I am verily impressed with it. I have been using a Sony 10HT on a 106.75" 16x9 GrayHawk in my new house for about a month now. The colors are amazing on the 9000. The reds were outstanding. Black level is much improved and, surprisingly, screen door was not evident until I got really really close to the screen. I am very happy with this projector right out of the box.

Do I want to put the projector at the closest possible distance or the greatest for the best picture?

·
Registered
1,273 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
No David, I wasn't aware of the dithering problems but again it looked great with the cheasiest setup so I can't wait for my screen! :)

How much did it cost me? I mentioned in an earlier post I received that for a debt that was owed to me but I assure you much less than the cost of the unit itself. Being an Adult DVD distributor I have clients that don't pay their bills & sometimes I barter. BTW some of the adult DVD's looked pretty good on the Sharp too..hehe ;)

Stevehifi, I will be using my Sharp primarily for DVD's on 480P so I won't have to worry much on everything else. By the time I decide to go HDTV I will sell it since I'm sure a better one will be on the market by then & just upgrade. Right now I will sit back & enjoy the big picture experience that I once thought was NOT possible because of the screendoor since I HATE that the most. It is NOT a factor with this unit even at the size I was projecting 140".

Spizz, I didn't notice any lip sync problems at all.

Chris

·
Registered
236 Posts
I forgot to look closely for lip-sync problems when I was sampling different DVDs...but I didn't notice any casually watching. I hope that means something.

I am guessing that I want the projector to be as close to the screen as possible for the brightest picture. Does that make sense?

·
Registered
479 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Michael Lee
I am guessing that I want the projector to be as close to the screen as possible for the brightest picture. Does that make sense?
Distance from the projector to the screen doesn't effect picture quality or brightness. What matters is screen size. Once you pick a screen size, the projector's throw distance will tell you how close and how far the projector can be from the screen.

·
Registered
236 Posts
Thanks, Augie, for your response.

So according to the screen size calculator you have, I have a range of about 14 to 19 feet. I think you are saying that it does not matter at all if I put it at the 14' range or the 19' ballpark area. It is just a matter of what fits my room better? I assumed that a closer distance would be like a brighter flashlight shiing on the closer wall.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.