AVS Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys, I just received the Epson EpiqVision Ultra LS500. First off, even though it recommends up to a 130" screen, I am running it on a 165" screen with no focus problems, and it looks amazing. Minimal distortion in corners - not enough to be noticeable really. The image detail in both 4K and 1080p content looks amazing. It also came with a version of an Android stick (4K), and I am also using a ROKU Ultra. I will be using a receiver, but for now just testing with these plugged into the projector directly.

I am experiencing some pretty bad motion judder when watching anything at 24 frames per second (FPS). 60FPS completely fixes the problem, and actually looks amazing on a large screen - I know a lot of people don't like frame interpolation and 60 FPS because of the "soap opera" effect, but in this case it actually looks really good and completely fixes the issue. I highly recommend using it on a large screen, everything just looks "right". Because of this, achieving the 60FPS is important to me. A lot of the 24FPS stuff is almost unwatchable with this setup.

The projector can only do frame interpolation with 1080p signals. If its a 4K signal, it cannot do any frame interpolation. However, it can receive a 60FPS 4K signal. So if I watch a 4K video that is already at 60FPS, its super smooth and looks amazing. If I watch a 4K movie that is 24FPS, it stays at 24FPS and I get the typical motion judder. I think since my screen is so large, the judder may be more obvious, I'm not sure.

Here is where my main problem comes in - the majority of the content that I watch is 1080p movies in the typical 24FPS. I mainly use Plex for watching movies. So what happens is even though my content is 1080p, the Android stick and Roku upscale it to 4K before sending it to the projector, so the projector can't do any frame interpolation to make it look like it was shot in 60FPS. You do get the benefit of some 1080p enhancements that can be enabled/disabled when using 4K, and it somehow adds a ton of detail to the original image and makes it look much better. But I am getting the dreaded motion judder if its only 24FPS.

So I did some experimenting - using the Roku, I changed the settings so it outputs a 1080p signal instead of 4K. I then played some of the same 1080p movies, but this time the projector is able to do the frame interpolating, and the movie looks amazing now - no more motion judder. This is definitely the way to go in my opinion - like I mentioned above, it just looks "right".

I could leave it like this for everything, but the downside is I won't be able to take advantage of the 1080p enhancements, and I basically won't be able to watch 4K content - unless its shot at 60 FPS, which is basically no movie. I was looking forward to getting more 4K content to watch on the projector, but if the data isn't already at 60 FPS its too hard to watch.

I feel like if there was a device that could go in-between the Roku and the projector, that handled all of the frame interpolation, then this would solve 100% of my problems. Or if there was a different media player that could do this. As far as I can tell this doesn't seem to exist.

I recently came across the "Smooth Video Project" (SVP), and this is very intriguing. I tested it out on my computer and it works great - it can even take a 4K 24FPS movie and interpolate the frames and bring it up to 60FPS which looks perfect for the projector. The problem is that I will need to transcode every single movie I have, to create a 60FPS version of it, if I want to stream it from my Plex server. This also doubles the file size, and can take 12-24 hours to transcode a single movie (maybe I need a faster computer haha!). This is also a lot more bandwidth for movie streaming - but I get the benefit of using the image enhancement stuff thats built into the projector when watching a 4K signal. It feels like this option will produce the absolute best viewing experience, but I am not sure if I am missing something, or if there are better options.

The Smooth Video Project can play your content and interpolate the frames in real time while you watch it, which works great. I would need to have my computer plugged into the projector though and I'm not sure if this is the best thing to do to solve this problem.

So I am curious, what has your experiences been, and what have you been doing to combat this problem to watch smooth videos on an enormous screen? Thanks and any help or advice is greatly appreciated!

·
Registered
251 Posts
I. Heard about the 24 fps causing the. Issue you speak of. It’s the only thing holding me back from getting one. Hope there is a fix.

·
Registered
3,661 Posts
Hey guys, I just received the Epson EpiqVision Ultra LS500. First off, even though it recommends up to a 130" screen, I am running it on a 165" screen with no focus problems, and it looks amazing. Minimal distortion in corners - not enough to be noticeable really. The image detail in both 4K and 1080p content looks amazing. It also came with a version of an Android stick (4K), and I am also using a ROKU Ultra. I will be using a receiver, but for now just testing with these plugged into the projector directly.

I am experiencing some pretty bad motion judder when watching anything at 24 frames per second (FPS). 60FPS completely fixes the problem, and actually looks amazing on a large screen - I know a lot of people don't like frame interpolation and 60 FPS because of the "soap opera" effect, but in this case it actually looks really good and completely fixes the issue. I highly recommend using it on a large screen, everything just looks "right". Because of this, achieving the 60FPS is important to me. A lot of the 24FPS stuff is almost unwatchable with this setup.

The projector can only do frame interpolation with 1080p signals. If its a 4K signal, it cannot do any frame interpolation. However, it can receive a 60FPS 4K signal. So if I watch a 4K video that is already at 60FPS, its super smooth and looks amazing. If I watch a 4K movie that is 24FPS, it stays at 24FPS and I get the typical motion judder. I think since my screen is so large, the judder may be more obvious, I'm not sure.

Here is where my main problem comes in - the majority of the content that I watch is 1080p movies in the typical 24FPS. I mainly use Plex for watching movies. So what happens is even though my content is 1080p, the Android stick and Roku upscale it to 4K before sending it to the projector, so the projector can't do any frame interpolation to make it look like it was shot in 60FPS. You do get the benefit of some 1080p enhancements that can be enabled/disabled when using 4K, and it somehow adds a ton of detail to the original image and makes it look much better. But I am getting the dreaded motion judder if its only 24FPS.

So I did some experimenting - using the Roku, I changed the settings so it outputs a 1080p signal instead of 4K. I then played some of the same 1080p movies, but this time the projector is able to do the frame interpolating, and the movie looks amazing now - no more motion judder. This is definitely the way to go in my opinion - like I mentioned above, it just looks "right".

I could leave it like this for everything, but the downside is I won't be able to take advantage of the 1080p enhancements, and I basically won't be able to watch 4K content - unless its shot at 60 FPS, which is basically no movie. I was looking forward to getting more 4K content to watch on the projector, but if the data isn't already at 60 FPS its too hard to watch.

I feel like if there was a device that could go in-between the Roku and the projector, that handled all of the frame interpolation, then this would solve 100% of my problems. Or if there was a different media player that could do this. As far as I can tell this doesn't seem to exist.

I recently came across the "Smooth Video Project" (SVP), and this is very intriguing. I tested it out on my computer and it works great - it can even take a 4K 24FPS movie and interpolate the frames and bring it up to 60FPS which looks perfect for the projector. The problem is that I will need to transcode every single movie I have, to create a 60FPS version of it, if I want to stream it from my Plex server. This also doubles the file size, and can take 12-24 hours to transcode a single movie (maybe I need a faster computer haha!). This is also a lot more bandwidth for movie streaming - but I get the benefit of using the image enhancement stuff thats built into the projector when watching a 4K signal. It feels like this option will produce the absolute best viewing experience, but I am not sure if I am missing something, or if there are better options.

The Smooth Video Project can play your content and interpolate the frames in real time while you watch it, which works great. I would need to have my computer plugged into the projector though and I'm not sure if this is the best thing to do to solve this problem.

So I am curious, what has your experiences been, and what have you been doing to combat this problem to watch smooth videos on an enormous screen? Thanks and any help or advice is greatly appreciated!
Try 4K UHD discs or even blu rays to make sure it's not a streaming issue. The worst motion blur problems I ever saw was streaming supposedly 24fps movies from netflix or amazon, but they were converting them to 60fps using "3:2 pulldown" and that created all the issues or took issues already there and made them five times worse. Make sure you are getting 24fps movies that are actually being sent at 24fps from the source, and then make sure your projector is actually outputting them at 24fps, or at least a multiple of 24fps, and not 60fps, otherwise the projector itself will be applying the 3:2 pulldown even if the source is not.

You need to make sure neither the source, nor the projector, are doing 3:2 pulldown.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts