1 - 20 of 52 Posts

·
Registered
3,526 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Do I need to type anything?

Subwoofer Loudspeaker Audio equipment Electronics Electronic device

Audio equipment Technology Electronic device Electronics Room

I don't think the midrange is even working on the other tower...at least it looks pretty
Loudspeaker Audio equipment Electronics Subwoofer Electronic device

·
Registered
6,975 Posts
ML does make a good looking speaker, hopefully you get a replacement sent out soon. Did you buy them new or secondhand?

·
Registered
3,526 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Your speakers went through a lot on their journey. Poor things.
We talked about this the next day it happened. I work at UPS. It's unreal how much they stress safety. A lot of it is probably for their own financial security, but a little bit is for us as well :p

·
Registered
3,526 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Man,that sucks! That's the worst. Your excited for your new speakers,now you have to wait for a week or more to get replacements. :(
Should arrive today, they were sent as an Air Saver

·
Registered
3,526 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·

·
Registered
3,526 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Not a bad choice - what made you choose them - and where did you purchase them?
This is a private message that I sent, edited for the sake of your question:

"Yeah, I pulled the trigger. The chip just sank my heart, by replacements, yes I am replacing both, should be here toady. I'm honestly nervous/anxious about it. I also am using the Motion 15 bookshelf as a center.

*I was asked if I pursued the Chane speakers: I never tried the Arx speakers. I felt like the Motion 40s were just a class above those and the HTD Level 3s.

I did a quick set-up with 2-channel in pure mode and the difference was instantly noticeable. Some of my favorite tracks sounded so much cleaner and the clarity was fantastic. It pulled in sounds that I never noticed before on some tracks (with the Level 3s). I didn't even need to do a side by side to hear the difference - I actually didn't do one.

After I ran audyssey calibration quickly, I actually didn't like what it did. It brought up the treble too much and the bass isn't as enjoyable. So I am a little stuck there, maybe I fudged something up. I'm getting 4 panels from ATS acoustics sometime next week. It will be a pretty partial treatment with 4 panels, but more will be added. I need to do more research because the panels for the left and right side walls will need to be special cut because the left side of my room reflection is a closet door and the right side is a window. I'm thinking that Auralex (I probably just bombed the spelling) basic foam will be simple enough to stick on a door with some 3M tabs and can be cut.

It was a real toss up between the ML and the KEF Q900s. Majority of people I discussed with said they liked the MLs at lower volume and the KEFs took a little bit of space and power to get them to open up (I assumed due to the larger and more numerous drivers). The finish on the MLs is honestly much nicer.

I also purchased a few other room touches to really help out the room, it's very boring right now.

*we were/are discussing bookshelf speakers:

I actually contemplated getting bookshelves. Very much so actually. It was an extreme headache. It was visually that brought be to purchase the towers. My debate was between the MLs and Atlantic Technology's (http://www.atlantictechnology.com/products/h-pas-speakers/2-h-pas-technology/) AT-2s with H-PAS. The front stage would have run me almost the same at $2400-$2525 (the AT-2s are about $840ish a piece). I would also need shorter stands. The level 3 stands were a bit to tall, even for the level 3s. I was just always left with an unsatisfying feeling looking at the bookshelves on stands. *addition: I needed a bookshelf that I could purchase as a single, using one a center. Otherwise more bookshelf speakers would be on the list such as KEF LS50s

Being a young enthusiast, I don't have that audiophile hearing to really pick apart sounds to the extreme. So getting the towers over the bookshelves was justifiable. Still, the MLs are great sounding speakers. *addition: The MLs are the best speakers that I have knowingly heard, which is probably why I commented about picking apart sounds reproduced by the speaker

I hope one day I will own a dome style tweeter of like value (Monitor Audio's Silver 8s are on that list); maybe not own, but audition in my own room. I seem to prefer ribbons, but that's was also that a $350 bookshelf pair when I purchased the Level 3s. I'm not sure how differently a more refined and expensive dome style would sound.

**I purchased these on Amazon as opposed to a local dealer due to the fact that I had some gift cards that needed to be used.

·
Registered
19,827 Posts
This is a private message that I sent, edited for the sake of your question:

"Yeah, I pulled the trigger. The chip just sank my heart, by replacements, yes I am replacing both, should be here toady. I'm honestly nervous/anxious about it. I also am using the Motion 15 bookshelf as a center.

*I was asked if I pursued the Chane speakers: I never tried the Arx speakers. I felt like the Motion 40s were just a class above those and the HTD Level 3s.

I did a quick set-up with 2-channel in pure mode and the difference was instantly noticeable. Some of my favorite tracks sounded so much cleaner and the clarity was fantastic. It pulled in sounds that I never noticed before on some tracks (with the Level 3s). I didn't even need to do a side by side to hear the difference - I actually didn't do one.

After I ran audyssey calibration quickly, I actually didn't like what it did. It brought up the treble too much and the bass isn't as enjoyable. So I am a little stuck there, maybe I fudged something up. I'm getting 4 panels from ATS acoustics sometime next week. It will be a pretty partial treatment with 4 panels, but more will be added. I need to do more research because the panels for the left and right side walls will need to be special cut because the left side of my room reflection is a closet door and the right side is a window. I'm thinking that Auralex (I probably just bombed the spelling) basic foam will be simple enough to stick on a door with some 3M tabs and can be cut.
Well yes, Martin Logan would be better than the HTD Level Three

The Motion 40 has a 5 db rise between 500 and 1 khz - and a 4 db rise after 10 khz
They are voiced to stand out some, in the showroom - so do to preference, some EQ
is needed - Plus room treatments will help.

You went with Martin - however from your list, I would have chosen the Atlantic Tech.

However, not a bad call - hope things work out - and enjoy the adventure!

·
Registered
3,526 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Well yes, Martin Logan would be better than the HTD Level Three

The Motion 40 has a 5 db rise between 500 and 1 khz - and a 4 db rise after 10 khz
They are voiced to stand out some, in the showroom - so do to preference, some EQ
is needed - Plus room treatments will help.

You went with Martin - however from your list, I would have chosen the Atlantic Tech.

However, not a bad call - hope things work out - and enjoy the adventure!
Thanks, my issue is visually. Its a non dedicated HT, rather, a bedroom. I guess it's just my makeup that made me choose the towers. My visual preference is a strong factor it seems.

·
Registered
3,526 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·

·
Registered
472 Posts
I know how you feel after my Motion 12 odyssey! Looking forward to hearing how you like the Motion 40's once you get them dialed in.

1 - 20 of 52 Posts