AVS Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

· Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I guess I learned how not to use a subwoofer. It played fine for an hour or so through various dvds and music tracks, but then I had to play the included test cd. I had the sub configured for low extension (one port plugged and switch to max extension ), xover at 90, and Volume level at 3 out of 7. My yamaha receiver was set to -3 on subwoofer and overall volume was at -25. I considered these setting on the sub to be pretty conservative and did not think that it would be possible to damage the sub at these levels.

At that setting it played the 16hz track without any distortion at least to my ears. Of course my house was shaking and and I figured I test it a higher levels and dialed the overal volume up from my receiver to -20. At that point, the sub stopped playing as if it went dead. Led lights was still green, but no sound. According to the troubleshooting guide I know have faulty amp or driver...

· Registered
845 Posts
That sucks when a new toy goes down like that. I'm sure Hsu will take care of you.

· Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt34 /forum/post/0

Was it a sine wave? How long did you play it for? The gain on the HSU subs is very sensative, I have mine between 0-1 and it's more than enough.

not sure if its a sine wave but the cd manual describes it as a 1/3 octave warble tone. It only lasted a few seconds at that volume level before it stopped working.

· Registered
642 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by SSpade19 /forum/post/0

not sure if its a sine wave but the cd manual describes it as a 1/3 octave warble tone. It only lasted a few seconds at that volume level before it stopped working.

Sounds like the amp went south, give HSU a call and they should take care of you. You have to be careful using those test tones as they put a tremendous load on the amps and drivers.

· Registered
8,103 Posts
When I got my VTF-3 Mk2, the sub level was a few notches down from the level of the speakers within the receiver, and 1/2 way between 0 and the first notch. But HK receivers are known for having really strong sub output levels, so when I hooked up a BFD eq, I had to raise the level of the speakers in the receiver, use -5 on the dial for reference level instead of 0, and have the sub level turned way down - about 10 notches below that of the sub in the receiver. So now on the sub it's at about the 3rd notch, give or take.

Here's my thread on my sub's output and eq'ing it:
http://forum.hsuresearch.com/showthread.php?t=2533

· Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt34 /forum/post/0

Sounds like the amp went south, give HSU a call and they should take care of you. You have to be careful using those test tones as they put a tremendous load on the amps and drivers.

What is good way to tell that the sub has reached its limit? On the HSU the bass just sounded louder. I didn't hear any popping noises or distortion to indicate that the amp/driver was working beyond its limits. Granted I really never heard how 16hz sounded in my house, so there could have been distortion but I just didnt know how it would sound like at that low frequecy.

· Registered
709 Posts
Sorry to hear that Sspade
Some things to check here. Have you checked the connection between the woofer and amplifier? If the wire is loose, then the connector needs to be tightened and reconnected. If that is not the problem, then we would need to determine if driver or amp is faulty. You could try removing the driver and hooking it up to another amp to see if it plays. If it does, then we know that the amp is faulty. If not, then we know that the driver is faulty. Once we know that, then you would need to email or call techsupport to initiate a service order for the part that is not working.

Sincerely,

· Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter Marcks /forum/post/0

Sorry to hear that Sspade
Some things to check here. Have you checked the connection between the woofer and amplifier? If the wire is loose, then the connector needs to be tightened and reconnected. If that is not the problem, then we would need to determine if driver or amp is faulty. You could try removing the driver and hooking it up to another amp to see if it plays. If it does, then we know that the amp is faulty. If not, then we know that the driver is faulty. Once we know that, then you would need to email or call techsupport to initiate a service order for the part that is not working.

Sincerely,

The connection between the woofer and amp looks good, but beyond taking out the woofer and looking at the wiring, I am not comfortable doing anything else. I live about 15 minutes away from HSU, so I'll call them next week and can just swing by for HSU to take care it.

BTW, when the sub was still working I could hear a flapping/rattling sound coming from the woofer playing a regular music track/dvd when I start pushing it from moderate to higher levels. Seems like Sub volume could go higher if I further increased volume, but I didn't think it was good idea to continue to raise the volume once the flapping noise started. Is that when the woofer has reached its max excursion or possibly an indicator for air leakage?

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.