AVS Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
798 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So recently I had a bad virus which shut down me from having access to files on my HTPC. I'm guessing I got it b/c I been using my HTPC to surf the net since my laptop failed and I had no Anti-Virus software installed. So anyhow after getting ride of it and finally being able to see my desktop I wanted to watch a movie. Yesterday I ripped Chronicals and The Grey with MKV. Today I started MB and it looks like everything completely changed. The only two movies I'm seeing are the ones I just ripped. I still have the movies b/c there on my Green TB's. I checked Media Browser and it looks like it's still fine showing which Drives I have linked. Could anyone help me figure this out? I don't have a new Win7 disc b/c the one I used was a friends so that's why I tried to avoid a fresh installed on the Crucial HD, but I'm wondering if that's what I'm going to need. I have the Assassins guide which I used when setting up my HTPC so if need be I could re-do everything off of that, but I'm trying to avoid spending money on purchasing a fresh Win7 disc .

Thanks

·
Registered
798 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
I think it can't find all my movies b/c the drives are "hidden" according to MCM. I did (I think) Un Hide the folders or so I think I did. I know a lot of "hiding" was caused by w/e virus I got.

·
Registered
579 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Limp Fox  /t/1416059/just-recovered-from-a-vi...wser-isnt-showing-all-my-movies#post_22139464

I think it can't find all my movies b/c the drives are "hidden" according to MCM. I did (I think) Un Hide the folders or so I think I did. I know a lot of "hiding" was caused by w/e virus I got.
I had a virus like a year ago that did that exact same thing. I thought it somehow deleted a bunch of my folders but they were just hidden. Weird.

·
Registered
195 Posts
There's a program called unhide.exe from the folks at Bleepingcomputer.com that will remove the hidden attributes of your folders on your PC. You can read about it & get the download link from here.

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/topic405109.html

Be sure not to clean your temp files before you run unhide.exe as this rogue FakeHDD spyware places your desktop & start menu shortcuts in a temp folder & you will delete all of these if they aren't restored first by unhide.exe.

I would also make sure to scan your PC with at least 2-3 different anti-malware programs since no single anti-malware program finds everything. Malwarebytes, Kaspersky's Virus Removal Tool & Hitman Pro are 3 very good programs to use.

·
Registered
850 Posts
On my HTPC I have no problems just nuking it and starting over if need be. I only have a couple of programs installed anyway so formatting the hard drive and reinstalling Windows gives me some piece of mind that the virus is gone.

·
Registered
798 Posts
Discussion Starter #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by tawd1992  /t/1416059/just-recovered-from-a-vi...wser-isnt-showing-all-my-movies#post_22140483

There's a program called unhide.exe from the folks at Bleepingcomputer.com that will remove the hidden attributes of your folders on your PC. You can read about it & get the download link from here.
http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/topic405109.html

Be sure not to clean your temp files before you run unhide.exe as this rogue FakeHDD spyware places your desktop & start menu shortcuts in a temp folder & you will delete all of these if they aren't restored first by unhide.exe.

I would also make sure to scan your PC with at least 2-3 different anti-malware programs since no single anti-malware program finds everything. Malwarebytes, Kaspersky's Virus Removal Tool & Hitman Pro are 3 very good programs to use.

Thanks a lot! I downloaded the .exe program and all works well. I have Malware... , but never herd of the other two programs. I will check them out as well.

Judd

1 - 6 of 6 Posts