·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Is the UltimateTV only for people that have satellite? I have a

satellite with UltimateTV receiver (Sony). I want to get my parents

UltimateTV as a gift but they have cable. Is this possible? Also,

is UltimateTV the best choice or does anyone think that TIVO

or Replay TV may be a better choice and why?

·
Registered
1,029 Posts
Sorry. UTV is for DirecTV subscribers only. Certain models of Tivo are also for DirecTV only. They are generally referred to as DirecTivo or DTivo. Tivos that are not satellite only are referred to as Standalone Tivos or SA Tivos. All ReplayTV's are cable friendly. The choice between Replay and SA Tivo is a matter of personal preference. Tivo is generally regarded as easier to use, but Replay has some cool features if you have a broadband ISP. Since it's for your parents, Tivo is probably the way to go. If you search this forum for posts from DRStrange, in the past, he has posted a link to his Tivo/Replay/UTV comparison webpage. Good luck.

·
Registered
1,017 Posts
Quote:
They are generally referred to as DirecTivo or DTivo.
Actually, DirecTV has taken over the branding and it's now called DirecTV DVR service powered by TiVo.

·
Registered
1,625 Posts
I love UTV. It does what it's supposed to. BUT, I hate the monthly fee. I'd also like to record from cable. So I have considered Replay TV for those reasons. And because I often have rain related interruptions that cable doesn't.

·
Registered
19 Posts
For me one fo the big problems with SA Tivo or Replay TV is that in order to get the same functionality as UTV/DTivo, you have to have two of them and two cable boxes.

- RODNEY

·
Registered
96 Posts
UTV and DirecTivo are designed to record JUST the satellite bitstream. You'll have to go for a Replay or Stand Alone Tivo (Replay is $9.95 per mo, and Tivo is $12.95 per mo)

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.