AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just got back from a local hi-end dealer and saw one of the Runco DLP projectors on a greyhawk screen. I thought it looked pretty darn good, and I didn't see any rainbow effect. This was my first viewing of a DLP and I'm wondering how it compares to others that are mentioned on this forum, such as the Infocus 340/350, NEC LT150 ect. The Runco was something like $17K and there's no way in hell I'm going to even come close to spending that kind of money -- but I'm using it as a point of reference. So the big question is, "how does it compare?"

thanks -- I'm trying to learn all I can about the projector scene.

·
Registered
58 Posts
I was just going to post a similar thread... I've got all my audio together so my next move is a projector & screen. From the comments I've seen its a no-brainer for the screen, seems like the overwhelming choice is the Greyhawk. I really need help in the DLP dept though. Which one is the best & what is this "rainbow effect" that I've seen you guys talk about? Thanks

------------------

Jon

·
Registered
5,574 Posts
The Runco is one of the least cost-effective, overly priced products I have ever seen.

The machines you mention are very competitive. Try them and see.

The only problem is that it's often hard to get to look at machines. The high-end HT stores carry expensive products because of their profit margins. No way that they want to carry an Infocus LP340, which is inexpensive to begin with and subject to highly competitive Web-based sales.

If you persist, you will find ways to view and compare the inexpensive business-oriented machines that also are good at HT.

·
Registered
372 Posts
Chris,

The Runco VX-1 is basicly a Plus UP-1100 unit in very nice clothes. Same optical engine, same electronics except for the addition of a deinterlacing "assitance" circuit board. IMHO, one would think that the price difference between a 1100 and the VX-1 would buy a darn good scaler and a lot of popcorn & beer.

If you have problems finding a dealer with the business projectors you want to see, try going to a projector rental place, then you can take it home for a test run. It certainly is cheaper than buying a mistake.

Thumpers 2c

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I'm checking out an Infocus 425 (I think that's the model number) tomorrow after work. My problem is that I don't have a screen to use at home -- at least I'll get an indication of what's possible. If it's anything close to the Runco (which is WAY overpriced), I think I'm hooked!

I'll do some further research on the Plus since I'm not too familiar with it.

BTW -- how imoportant is a Panamorph, or anamorphic lense? And how much will one of those set you back? Same hi-end dealer said something like $3K.

·
Registered
5,574 Posts
Chris,

I know quite a bit about Infocus machines so let me comment.

The Infocus 425 is the older model of the 400. I have a 400.

I like the 400 for the time being but I wouldn't buy one today.

The Infocus 340 can be purchased new for around 2500 and is a much better deal: brighter, better video processing, and 1080i/720p support.

Unless you are paying not much more than $1000, the 425 is probably not what you want. I think it would be a decent deal up to $1400 but I still would recommend the 340 instead.

BTW: There is also an LP425z. The "z" includes a zoom lens. It is newer than the 425 but still not comparable to the 340.

Good luck.

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
oops -- I forgot to clarify that the Infocus 425 is a DLP that we've got at work. I'm just checking it out for the night. If I purchase a unit, it will be one of the current offerings. Thanks for the info on the older models though. It's good to know that it can only get better.

·
Registered
9,766 Posts
Chris,

Read, do a lot of searches on this forum, ask a lot of questions, but whatever you do... don't wast your money at a high end salon unless your a Microsoft billionaire.

A ton of $$$$$$$ can be saved.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.