AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
364 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have just tried the Sony 11HT in a showroom.

It is on a 100" Stewart GrayHawk screen, using Sony 9000 DVD player, and strangely they use only interlace output, and rely on the 11HT to do its DRC progressive processing.

In terms of colour vibrance, it is very very good. I will give it 95 out of 100, the deduction is due to black level, it is more than acceptable, but still not real black. Contrast-wise, it is more than adequate, perhaps failed only on most demanding test. Sharpness is top notch also.

But the problem is it is too bright in their light controlled showroom, my eyes became tired after 5 minutes, so 1000 lumen is more than enough in such environment, I would prefer 700-800.

Don't know if it is the sharpness or bright picture, it doesn't feel like watching movies in theatre, 3D effect is not too strong.

Recently I have seen the Sanyo PLV-60 on a OS screen, colour in comparison is second rate but may be due to the GrayHawk, sharpness again is not as good, but somehow it is more movie-liked.

Screen door effect doesn't exist if sitting 14 feet behind, and can't notice at 8 - 9 feet.

This makes me feel liked waiting for the Sharp Z9000 as I have heard that DLP projector gives more movie-liked picture. (Even though I have seen the Seleco HT200 and was not impressed)

As I am only an inexperienced beginner, my verdict is based on comparison with pictures in theatre and direct view TVs.

Regards,

Cam

·
Registered
1,286 Posts
Cam:

I have some questions about what it felt like to have the projector seem as being bright. I have a 2000 lumens D-ILA G20 on the same size screen (100" diag), and can say that it never has seemed too bright to me, nor has anyone ever commented on that. Intuitively, since even a 2000 lumens projector's output is a fraction of what you experience in normal sunlight, you wouldn't think that the projector could be too bright. However, I've heard others comment about "too bright" projectors, too, so there must be something to it.

Could it be that the projector was out of focus, and that contributed to it making your eyes tired? Or, could de-interlacing artifacts have contributed?

- Dave

·
Registered
707 Posts
A suggestion for you when you check a projector out next time would be to place a stairstep signal from Video essentials or Avia on the projector and check the Grayscale and see if the top end is blown out. I suspect that any of the projectors that you refer to as being to bright will have poorly set Grayscale and the top 2-3 bars of the Grayscale/stairstep pattern will have way to much gain.

·
Registered
3,542 Posts
Cam, you said the picture is not as sharp. Did you walk up to the screen to see if the pixels were in a delta configuration??? This could be why the pixels are hard to see which can yield a softer image but, film like.

Thanks for your report.

Tom

·
Registered
915 Posts
I think what might be tiring is the contrast ratio between the bright screen and the rest of the room. If you're in daylight, your iris will contract and your eye will get a relatively constant amount of light. But take a not-so bright flashlight into a really dark room and hold it at arm's length and look at it. I'll bet your eyes will fatigue, because as your eye moves around it's constantly have to try to re-adjust itself for the intense contrast changes.

Just a theory.

·
Registered
45 Posts
"Recently I have seen the Sanyo PLV-60 on a OS screen, colour in comparison is second rate but may be due to the GrayHawk, sharpness again is not as good, but somehow it is more movie-liked."

Dear Cam,

did you mean that the color on the Sanyo is second rate? Whose sharpness is better? Which one is more movie-like? I am asking because I am very close to buying the Sanyo PLV-60, but I thought I would wait for the 11HT reviews to come out to see if it was better. Thanks.

Parag

·
Registered
4,075 Posts
Cam:

I'd be careful about concluding too much from a dealer demo. Although they usually think they're entitled to list price or near to it, they also usually never take the trouble to set the projector up properly.

Also, the vast majority of reports on the Grayhawk are that it enhances color and contrast, not takes away from it. Again, I'd be suspicious of the set up on the unit.

I'm assuming you're saying the Sanyo had better color and sharpness than the Sony? However those things are so set up dependent they can easily be screwed up.

Dan

·
Registered
3,542 Posts
"I'm assuming you're saying the Sanyo had better color and sharpness than the Sony? However those things are so set up dependent they can easily be screwed up".

Dan, I believe Cam means the opposite....I'm sort of confused by the review. I would like to know how the pixel array is configured, staggered or striped lcd panels?

Tom

·
Registered
6,463 Posts
Is it for sale yet or still delayed? Was this a "traveling" demo or is the projector still there? Why in the heck didn't they hook that (progressive scan?) dvd player with 480P input? Did you ask? Were they trying to show off the 11's scaling or 3-2 pulldown? I would wonder why they wouldn't at least switch back and forth to demonstrate upon request.

More we want to hear more http://www.avsforum.com/ubb/smile.gif

-dave

·
Registered
364 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Hi,

Sorry for all the confusion. I did mean the colour and sharpness of the Sanyo is not as good as the Sony. But please remember that they are shown on different screen and setup, where the Sanyo setup has some ambient light, and the Sony setup has total light control.

I think the GrayHawk does a very good job to eliminate the pixel edges.

Tom,

Sorry I didn't notice whether the pixels are in delta configuration.

This is a demo unit belonged to the shop, and according to several sources, the first bulk shipment will arrive next week (mid August).

Why they didn't use 480p, they said the Sony's DRC progressive processing does a better job.

I think they use AVIA to calibrate the projector as I saw the disc on the table. This reminds me about someone said using AVIA always yield a picture too bright.

I think my conclusion is that pairing it with a GrayHawk screen, the colour will be brilliant, and pixelization is gone. However, in a totally dark room, the brightness should be turned down (btw, it was set at 48), and may be way too sharp to create a theatre liked experience.

Just my opinion.

Regards,

Cam

·
Registered
3,542 Posts
Cam, you said the picture is not as sharp. Did you walk up to the screen to see if the pixels were in a delta configuration??? This could be why the pixels are hard to see which can yield a softer image but, film like.

Thanks for your report.

Tom

·
Registered
364 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Dave,

I was surprised also as I didn't find the Sanyo too bright and it is 1200 lumen, so this is strange. Focus is very good as I can see very fine details.

I guess because of its colour which is almost like a direct view TV and being so big, really makes my eyes tiring.

Cam

·
Registered
68 Posts
I'd like to know what they had the Sharpness set to.

I can't imagine how sharpness could hinder the viewing experience. In fact, I watched a movie at the flix for the first time in about 8 months (since I got the 10HT)

I noticed a lot of noise on the screen which I now wasn't used to seeing. Noise like moving fog.

I also wasn't impressed with the lack of detail.

And all this without a progressive at home!

Boy, I can't wait for the Philips to arrive.

------------------

Tertiary adjunct to Unimatrix Zero-One

·
Registered
17 Posts
Cam,

I have seen a shootout of Sony 11HT and SIM2 HT200DM. There has been a great difference of black level. If you have not seen HT200DM try to have a look. Now most of 11HT are para-imported.

If you go to WanChai Computer City you can see both Sony and Sanyo projectors being demoed.

·
Registered
6,463 Posts
Quote:
Why they didn't use 480p, they said the Sony's DRC progressive processing does a better job.
Would have been interesting if they had switched back and forth to show you. I personally SERIOUSLY doubt that they are correct. Salespersons hardly ever are anyway...but DRC is not considered faroudja-quality by any means. And by definition a real 480P image should look better...or at least just as good. Of course you end up scaling the signal to the LCD res either way.

thanks for the review! Any others in that area care to investigate and add their 2 cents?

Abe, what's the SIM2 HT200DM? When you say a difference in black level, do you mean from the old 10HT to the 11HT or do you mean between these two (the 11HT and the SIM2 HT200DM) projectors? If so...which one is better?

-dave

[This message has been edited by DaViD Boulet (edited 08-10-2001).]

·
Registered
350 Posts
Abe,

How much are the Sony 11HT and Sanyo XP21N there in China? Are they cheaper there compared to HongKong?

Thanks.

------------------

Walter

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.