AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
1,355 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
A fellow forum member was kind enough to demo his LT150 for me this evening. I had really been wanting to see one since I had only seen high-end DLP's so far. We used his HTPC and I brought my cheapie APEX AD-800 progressive scan DVD player over. We started off with the HTPC. Wow! I was amazed by the picture quality! This little thing is awesome! Great sharpness, color, blacks, shadow detail, at least compared to what I'm used to. Then we hooked it up to my DVD player, expecting to see a big difference. There wasn't a big difference. Don't get me wrong, the HTPC is the way to go, I noticed in several scenes noticable better in sharpness, but the cheap DVD player was very good. An excellent value for the money! It was hard to tell the difference at times, the picture was just a bit softer. We were both surprised by it's performance.

Now compared to the other DLP projectors I've seen Runco VX-1 ($17,000) and the Yamaha DPX-1 ($10,000), this projector really held it's own. Sure the Yamaha was brighter, but the image from the LT-150 with the white segment off was plenty bright. And I thought the image quality was just as good as those two, from my memory. As far as rainbows are concerned, and I do see them, they are much less noticeable on the LT150 than on the Yamaha DPX-1. I don't know what Yamaha did, but I saw alot of rainbows on that one. I do not remember seeing rainbows on the Runco, but my viewing was very short (Epcot), and I did not even know what rainbows were at the time. Please feel free to ask specifics here on the forum or by email. Thanks for the demo David!

·
Registered
1,639 Posts
Shahram72,

seeing the Runco in a ht shop is what initially got me to log on and ask questions here. i wanted to know if there were any decent but much cheaper alternatives to a $17000 unit and if Runco was really the top of the line or just the Bose of FP's.

4 months later i'm the proud owner of a LT150 @ 1/10 the cost.

the first thing i did when this came in was to cue up the exact same scenes from Gladiator that i saw with the Runco.

my verdict was; PQ was w/in a few hairs of the runco and there were significantly LESS rainbows with this little NEC.

i have no doubt if i mated the runcos scaler (at $5000), or the equivilent, with this i would have an even superior picture to the Vx1c.

Really good news to hear the Apex performed well. i'll be going with a dvd player for the near future so this eases my mind a bit.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Status
Not open for further replies.