AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
479 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Disclaimer: I have not read the short by Stephen King but have read other SK novels.

The outdoor scenery shots were very good as well as the single shot fade ins. The movie looked really good and the use of surround was nice.

As for the movie itself....My wife and I figured out both two parts of the movie about half way through...

Warning: Spoiler! (Click to show) Spoiler  
Warning: Spoiler! (Click to show) She figured out that he was the guy from quiz show and I figured out that he was acting out the story.

Now, I'm not usually the one to pick up on subtleties but I have seen enough movies to pick out the hackeyned ones. Have we, as an audience, become so elightened that movies like Sixth Sense, The Others, and Usual Suspects, have jaded us and made us look for these twists? The movie was basically over when we figured these out since we are now just waiting for our theories to be realized.

What do directors and screen writers have to do to blind side us with a great ending? Do we have to go back to..."this guy is too obvious....because he did it movies"?

What were some other movies that you can remember the ending came out of nowhere and you were like...."I never saw it coming?"

-sonny

·
Registered
3,740 Posts
Was that the Jonny Depp movie? I liked it.

What Lies Beneath comes to mind for blindsiding. Butterfly effect was a good one because it had no regular course to follow. There's a few more that i can't think of right now.

·
Registered
3,828 Posts
I picked up Secret Window at a Hollywood Video used DVD sale.

Haven't watched yet. Maybe Halloween weekend. Lots of new movies to watch then: Queen of Spades, Carnival of Souls, Dead of Night.

I thought the trailer looked pretty creepy, but had I know it was Stephen King I would have passed. I just don't like that guy's work.

·
Registered
680 Posts
This is one of my pet peeves. I do think many people watch movies with the objective of "looking" for a twist. I can't count the number of times I have heard people say they have figured out a twist early on in the movie and then trash the movie because they figured it out. Personally, I just watch a movie to enjoy it...if I happen to figure it out, I don't let that stop me from enjoying the rest of the movie.

·
Registered
1,318 Posts
csmith, yours is an excellent point. I totally agree. Most people these days watch a movie for plot only. Their enjoyment of a film is solely based on what it's about, how the plot goes, and what twists it contains.

I realized the plot twist in Secret Window as well as most others, but I didn't know HOW it was all going to play out. And honestly, I find it hard to believe many other people did either. Who would live (and who wouldn't) to me all were surprising. The fact is, it's a very tense, well-shot, directed, and acted movie.

·
Registered
1,373 Posts
It depends on whether the twist helps the movie at all. The examples given all have good twists - Sixth Sense, The Others, and Usual Suspects. Haven't seen Secret Window or Butterfly Effect yet.

Others:

Good: "I'm your father, Luke."

OK: Vanilla Sky

Didn't do anything: Unbreakable

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.