Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
137 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
They were running the Directv Demo loop in a bright room and

the images looked comparable to a plasma.

·
Registered
3,679 Posts

Uh... One of the awesome new Panasonic plasmas or an older lame plasma? http://www.avsforum.com/ubb/smile.gif

I've auditioned the SLK407 (I think that's close) Samsung LCD and it has a library microfiche reader look to it. I think it is the fault of the screen they use as I have setup homebrew RP's using an LCD projector and a sheet with more pleasing results.

·
Registered
3,600 Posts
Which Soundtrack location did you go to? I looked for it a few weeks ago in Denver and they said only one store had it.

Actually, the guy told me they had it and walked me all over the store looking for it. Of course, he could not find it because in typical Soundtrack fashion, he had no idea what he was talking about.

Hurray for the internet!

------------------

After 6 years I am getting ready to upgrade my HT. Research now, purchase in the summer... er, uh, September... grrr...lagging upgrades...

- Rear Channels in...

...now waiting for DPL II

·
Registered
172 Posts
How much?

-Ben

·
Registered
3,243 Posts
Quote:
I've auditioned the SLK407 (I think that's close)
Actually, it's not. The SLK407W and the PLK405W are 40" 16:9 LCD EDTV's that max out at 480p (the difference between the two is that the PLK405W cannot accept progressive scan input while the SLK407W can). I briefly owned the PLK405W and agree with your microfiche-reader comment, though. I got rid of it and bought my NEC front projector.

The HLK506W and HLK436W are 50" and 43" 16:9 HDTV's that go to 720p and supposedly have a superior picture with their new (f)LCD technology. This new technology has had some birthing pains, though, and the two units are over a year late out the door (they were still unavailable when I bought the PLK405W back in January 2001).

------------------

Scott Gammans
The Scooterplex Cinema 1

·
Registered
137 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
It was in the Colorado Springs store on North Academy.

Actually I went back to have a second look and found that

the blacks were not really black; kind of grey.

·
Registered
3,679 Posts
Scott,

I meant that I thought I was close on the part # http://www.avsforum.com/ubb/smile.gif

I haven't seen an HLK*.

I would love it if the picture was as good as the original hype. If it was I would buy one.

If the HLK506 doesn't pan out as it appears is the case from several reports - it's on to the 50" RCA LCOS! Hopefully it won't disappoint.

·
Registered
434 Posts
I saw the 43" one in London and Here in New York. I was not impressed at all. Too many weird things to even write about now. I was really hoping this one was going to help me with my size problems.

So here is hoping the RCA can make my HDTV dream happen. I did see the Panasonic PT-52DL10 and even my wife said I want that TV. But the price!!!! What are they drinking, smoking and thinking?

·
Registered
32,172 Posts
I did see the Panasonic for a lot less money somewhere (the DLP set)... maybe $8000. Still, too much despite being real nice. I agree the Samsung is disappointing, if for nothing else by being very late.

I am hoping for the RCA, but expecting instead to go plasma.

Mark

·
Registered
3,243 Posts
Quote:
I was really hoping this one was going to help me with my size problems.
Orlando,

The reason I bought the Samsung PLK405W (see above) was mainly for its thin size. I have a very narrow staircase leading up to my attic home theater; most TV sets won't fit and plasma is too darn expensive. Unfortunately, as I mentioned above, the picture quality was sub-standard.

If you're having size problems, do what I did and get a front projection system! My NEC VT540 LCD projector is only 9.5" x 11" x 4" and weighs less than nine pounds, but is HDTV capable and can project a dazzling eight-foot-wide image. Show me a RPTV that can do THAT.

------------------

Scott Gammans
The Scooterplex Cinema 1

·
Registered
332 Posts
For whatever it's worth, here's a site that supplies a "date" and quotes the lowest price I've seen...

http://www.adestore.com/samhl50widlc.html

------------------

Pentium III 800/256 MB Ram/GeForce 2 MX 32Mb/WinTV PVR/Creative 6x DVD/M-Audio AP 2496/Airboard Wireless Keyboard

·
Registered
3,243 Posts
$4,999??!! Sheesh... for that amount of money, I bought my projector ($2,995), built my projection screen (~$125 in parts), and still had $1,800+ left over for the audio system, DVD player, HDTV receiver, etc. I also have, I suspect, a better picture quality than the HLK506W could ever hope to match, and a 400% larger image size to boot.

------------------

Scott Gammans
The Scooterplex Cinema 1

·
Registered
628 Posts
If you check at pricescan.com, several places have the HLK506 for $4500-4600.

Scott, how noisy is your NEC? I have never checked out FP to any extent, but from what I've read, that would be my main concern.

As to the RCA LCOS, I've heard good things about the picture, but unfortunately it only has one component input. It does have a built-in DirecTV receiver, so if you are a DTV subscriber, maybe it's not as much of a problem, but for cable users, it means using a component switcher so that both the cable box and a DVD player can be hooked up.

[This message has been edited by fcsmith (edited 08-09-2001).]

·
Registered
434 Posts
Scott, I thought about the projection thing. But My wife was dead set against anything like that. But I also have a seven foot ceiling and some outside light problems. (wife doesn't want to have the room closed up just to watch TV.) Plus I think there is also a techno fear. As long as it looks like a box it acts like a box. But I have the same location problem you have but mine is in the basement.

C'mon RCA let's go! (I feel like I'm at a horse race with the rent on the line.)

·
Registered
332 Posts
Front projectors are NOT for everyone.

Room space issues, upkeep(fuusy devices), expense issues

(adjustments required periodically?). I know they produce awesome images...yada yada...

That said, this Samsung offers native 720P, VGA(RGB) input for HTPC (the best progressive input source...?), and a unit weight and size that is remarkable.

Of course if it doesn't produce the picture we want , it will be passed by.

------------------

Pentium III 800/256 MB Ram/GeForce 2 MX 32Mb/WinTV PVR/Creative 6x DVD/M-Audio AP 2496/Airboard Wireless Keyboard

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.