AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
188 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was fortunate enough this morning to have the opportunity to see the new Sanyo projector in action. The VP of my local HT store was gracious enough to invite me in while a Sanyo rep demoed the PLV-60, and even though my hands-on experience with digital projectors is limited...WOW!

I have seen the 10HT with a good progressive DVD player and some HD content, but the PLV-60 just plain kicked its a**. My dealer had the 9000ES Sony DVD player and the Dish6000 HD feed going into the projector, and the screen was 110" 4:3 GreyHawk in a moderately lit demo room. The same conditions with the 10HT caused the image to look quite washed out, but the Sanyo looked outstanding. My dismay was how much grainier DVDs are compared to HD, but that's not the fault of the projector!

We watched the Charlie's Angles DVD and some DiscoveryHD programming. The richness of the colors, the detail, and dimensionality (in HD) was amazing. I can't stress this enough. HD at 1080i was breathtaking. As for pixel structure, I would say I only noticed it much under 10ft. The image was also plenty bright. I'm not sure how well it would hold up in a living room during the daytime, but for any room with modest light control, I can't imagine needing much more.

The rep was quoting 1,000-1,500 hour bulb life, and there is no way to 'turn down' the lamp to extend bulb life (like the 10HT). As has been noted elsewhere, the lamp timer is resettable, but the hour accumulation is only viewable in the service menu (I saw it).

The power focus, zoom, and lens shift were cool. The keystone correction was excellent. What is also of note is that for 480p signals, there is a full panel option. It allows anamorphic DVDs (even 2.35:1) to be vertically stretched to fill the panel - especially great for those wanting a 2.35:1 screen and lens. This option was not available for 1080i input (and I don't know about 720p).

Please bear in mind that although I've been reading this forum for over a year and am sort of a techno-geek, my hands-on experience with projectors is limited. I have seen the HT200 Seleco, 10HT, and a very well done Seleco 800 CRT. I can honestly say that I was floored by the Sanyo - only the Seleco 800 in a dark room left my mouth wider. My dislike for the black levels in the 10HT were 90% put to rest by the Sanyo, and the EXTREME flexibility of the inputs and picture adjustments was very cool.

IMHO, I'm not sure how the Sony 11HT could beat the Sanyo unless judged on price (possibly) or lamp life. I'm sure those attending Infocomm will be able to compare the Sony/Sanyo more thoroughly, but the Sanyo will be a tough act to follow.

I know that by all accounts current D-ILAs beat DLPs and LCDs, but the convenience of the Sanyo relative to it's performance is amazing to me. A 16:9 panel gets rid of so many headaches (Panamorph/ISCO, HTPCs and software, scalers, etc.). I'm sure there are better images out there from digital projectors in regards to black level and pixel structure, but at what cost in $$ and in convenience/user friendliness? I was all set to cheap-out a bit and get the 10HT for my almost-finished-for-over-a-year HT room, but now all I'm sure of is that I just got poorer.

- Dieter

·
Registered
93 Posts
Dieter - where did you see the Sanyo PLV-60?

I'm in Rochester, MI - just up the road from you in Troy.

Was this at Pecar's? I just called there yesterday as they are the only "high-end" HT around (short of the Gramaphone in Birmingham), and they said they didn't carry the Sanyo and didn't plan to.

I'd love to hear where you saw this - esp. on the Greyhawk, as I'd like to see the same.

Thanks!

·
Registered
188 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I did indeed see it at Pecar's. Randy (the VP) and I have been exchanging some e-mail recently, and let me know that the Sanyo rep was going to be there this morning. He was as impressed as I was (not an easy thing to do), and my feeling is that based on his reaction, they will pick up Sanyo. The GreyHawk is now in their middle theater room where they have the SharpVision projectors...for now.

- Dieter

·
Registered
352 Posts
Hi Dieter,

regarding color accuracy how did the Sanyo compare vs. the SIM/Seleco HT200, which is the very strong point of this unit? What about fan noise?

Thanks and Greetings, Walter

------------------

Graz, home town of the Terminator...

·
Registered
194 Posts
Just how much is this new Sanyo?

Paul

------------------

Paul B. Musser

[email protected]

·
Registered
4,077 Posts
Last time I looked, Projector Depot was quoting around $6500 for it; MVS was at $6800. Jeff McNeal of the Big Picture forum is going to post a fairly in depth review of the projector (supposedly) some time tomorrow.

Needless to say this puppy is very high on my list of possibilities now. I just can't live with a 600 lumen DLP projector, unfortunately, because of the room I am putting it in.

BTW, this is an SXGA unit. Slight defocusing will make the pixel problem non-existent unless you are literally right on top of the screen.

Dan Houck

·
Registered
6,092 Posts
FYI,

The naming convention for some common resolutions are:

1366 X 768 = WXGA (Wide XGA - PLV 60 and 10HT res)
1280 X 1024 = SXGA
1366 X 1024 = SXGA+ (D-ila resolution and a couple others)

-Mr. Wigggles

------------------

The Mothership is now boarding.

[This message has been edited by MrWigggles (edited 05-31-2001).]

·
Registered
188 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Quote:
Originally posted by Walter Kircher:
Hi Dieter,

regarding color accuracy how did the Sanyo compare vs. the SIM/Seleco HT200, which is the very strong point of this unit? What about fan noise?

Thanks and Greetings, Walter
Walter,

Again, in my limited experience, I would say that I liked the colors of the Sanyo more than what I saw out of the HT200 when I saw it. Even more so in HD. I thought the reds of the Sanyo were great (both the flowers from Discovery HD and the ladies' clothing in Charlie's Angles). If anything, thinking back on it, the greens of the Sanyo may have been just ever so slightly pale. Flesh tones seemed perfect. And I have no idea if the projector was calibrated other than at the factory. The rep said that this was the second demo of that particular projector since arriving from Japan last Wednesday.

As for fan noise, I thought it was quiet. Maybe not as quiet as I remember the 10HT being, but I did make a mental note of how unobtrusive it was.

What I didn't expand much on originally was the black level. Galaxy Quest was on for a bit from HBO-HD displayed in 1080i. The space scenes and spaceship interiors were the best of the digital projectors I've seen. I think it's a testament to the Sanyo and GreyHawk combo. I saw the HT200 with Lost in Space, and wasn't impressed at all. I can honestly say that I wouldn't feel like I'd be missing much of anything in the black level dept. with the Sanyo as compared to what I've seen out of FP CRT and my own television. SciFi movies dominate my DVD collection, and that was my biggest area of concern as I was leaning toward the 10HT.

- Dieter

[This message has been edited by xp800 (edited 05-31-2001).]

·
Registered
159 Posts
Dieter,

Was that 110" wide or diagonal? Screen door is a big factor for me and if 110" wide is not noticeable at 10' away, that may be the projector for me.

Thanks,

Chi

·
Registered
1,652 Posts
Chi-

I haven't seen the 60 but I have seen the Sanyo PLC-XP21N which I believe will have some similiar qualities and I predict that at 10' you will see the chicken wire. I think to not see the pixel structure you will have to soften the focus, try the IMX processor, use a gray screen and/or sit back at least 14 or more feet.

Lenny

·
Premium Member
1,066 Posts
Dieter,

Did the full panel option allow you to choose the amount of vertical stretch or did the projector autodetect the letterboxing of the source? I'm obviously interested because this will be one of the first projectors that I know of to directly form a 2.35 image with the Panamorph 1 without an external scaler.

------------------

Shawn Kelly

Cygnus Imaging www.cgns.com

[This message has been edited by Shawn Kelly (edited 06-01-2001).]

·
Registered
4,077 Posts
Wiggles: Thank you for the clarification.

Shawn:

If you are vertically stretching a 2.35:1 image to fit a 16:9 screen, wouldn't the Panamorph then return it to the original 2.35 ratio?

I thought the new 2.35 lens will be designed to take a 4:3 image made up of a stretched 2.35:1 image and return it to the correct (2.35:1) aspect ratio. If you are starting with a 16:9 projector instead of 4:3, I understood the Panamorph would make the correction from 16:9 to 2.35:1. Or have I got this all wrong?

I ask this question because I am planning to use my Panamorph with a 16:9 projector to enhance the viewing of 2.35:1 DVDs.

Dan

[This message has been edited by DanHouck (edited 06-01-2001).]

·
Premium Member
1,066 Posts
Dan, your post prompted me to rewrite my earlier post, which did not communicate correctly - thanks. The current Panamorph (P1) will take a 16:9 projector and reformat the image to 2.35:1 as you stated. For this to work, the projector must be able to take either a) an anamorphic source (such as DVD) and vertically stretch it another 33% or b) vertically stretch a nonanamorphic source by 78%. If the projector can not do this then an external device (scaler/HTPC) will be necessary. It sounds like this projector has this feature.

------------------

Shawn Kelly

Cygnus Imaging
www.cgns.com

·
Registered
188 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Quote:
Originally posted by Shawn Kelly:
Dieter,

Did the full panel option allow you to choose the amount of vertical stretch or did the projector autodetect the letterboxing of the source? I'm obviously interested because this will be one of the first projectors that I know of to directly form a 2.35 image with the Panamorph 1 without an external scaler.
Shawn,

The projector seemed to autodetect 'active' video lines and scaled the 2.35 image to the full height of the 16:9 panel. It was a simple button push to do so, but I don't know if there is a way to manually control the vertical stretch. This was something I knew would be asked because of it's potential compatibility with the Panamorph I without an external scaler. This is a BIG selling feature. And for those wanting a 2.35 screen, the power zoom, focus, and lens shift MAY be enough to use the Pannie over the ISCO II. I have no way of knowing for sure though (obviously).

Chi -

The screen was a 110" 4:3 on diagonal. The 16:9 image was the width of the screen (about 88" wide and 66" high).

- Dieter

·
Registered
1,639 Posts
so would anyone care to make a guess as to what you'll be able to pick this up for a year from now? that's when i'll be selling the big screen and getting my first fp (hopefully). somebody said here to expect about a 20% reduction in price every year...is that reasonable. i also heard that some projectors had had price increases when demand got high, as i would expect would happen with this one.

one ( or two) reviews aren't the best to base a major $6k purchase on, but damn, am i getting excited!

Ricardo: are you getting ready to step up from your 53"hs10?

your site and strong recommendations elsewhere (and some heavy-duty in store demo'ing) were what convinced me to go with that set, and apart from the screen size, the Sony has performed wonderfully. your sites been a great resource. thanks for all the work you put into it!

------------------

ckolchakins @hotmail.com

www.realitycrash.com/dvd.htm

·
Registered
351 Posts
Ckolchak,

Thanks for the feedback on my HS10 website, its kinda dead right now, the EGroups sonyHS10 forum is where the action is at.

Anyway, I do plan to keep my HS10 for a long time. It is the family room TV. I have full home theater plans for my basement (Dennis Erskine design) and watching the projector market carefully. I am hoping by the time I have it built, $5k will get me what I want. When will HDTV set top boxes hit $400?!? We will hopefully see a lot of FP action come 2002 with the 16x9 HD1 DLP chip. But at $10k I'll pass.

The problem is my wife has this crazy idea that we need to furnish/decorate the family room first and do some slight remodelling in the kitchen . I guess you can't live on old college furniture forever and expect to entertain guests!! Who knew!

------------------

All the best,

Ricardo
Sony KP-xxHS10 Zone

[This message has been edited by RicardoD (edited 06-01-2001).]

·
Registered
1,703 Posts
Is anyone aware of plans to release 2.35:1 (approx. 20:9) enhanced anamorphic DVD's?

It seems to me that 2.35:1 lenses or 2.35:1 squeeze trick is only useful for 2.35:1 enhanced program material. You don't want to use these on 16:9 anamorphic DVD's, even with a 2.35;1 program contained within, showing normally on a 16:9 screen. Otherwise you will get the wrong amount of stretching.

If your system shows 4:3 and 16:9 and 1.85:1 material approximately the same height and 16:9, 1.85:1, and 2.35:1 material the same width and your screen is even wider, you would want a spherical (ordinary zoom) lens if you want to enlarge the 2.35:1 picture from non-anamorphic or (16:9) anamorphic programs.

Other video hints: http://members.aol.com/ajaynejr/video.htm

[This message has been edited by Allan Jayne (edited 06-02-2001).]

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.