AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 60 Posts

·
Registered
12,276 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Wow. That's an understatement. I just had the pleasure of viewing this incredible projector here at the store. Let me tell you, I'm impressed. This unit, in my opinion, will end the debate about lower resolution projectors performing as well as the higher resolution units.

First off, these are some of the best reds I've seen on a digital projector...especially a single chip DLP. They are extremely rich and vibrant. Moreover, this unit can distinguish between various shades of red like almost no other units I've seen.

The rainbow artifact is a nonissue. Believe me, I looked and looked for it, at various angles and various distances. It was no where to be found. Credit for this goes to the new 6 segment color wheel. A great improvement over the former color wheel designs.

You want good blacks-you got 'em. Hands down the best blacks I've seen on a digital projector. We weren't even showing it on a greyhawk either! I'm sure on the greyhawk I would have been blown away (even more).

This is about as simple a unit as they come, too. Right out of the box, with some basic contrast and brightness adjustment, we had a great picture. Not to mention gamma control has been added to this unit, too.

Because the unit uses the full 848 lines of horizontal resolution, this unit also eliminates the overscanning that is normally present on the sides of the picture. You will still have some overscanning on the top and bottom, although I did not find it objectionable.

Will it do HDTV? Absolutely. The unit is essentially a HT200 with a circuitry inside that can disable the top and bottom parts of the chip, yielding a 848x480 16:9 effective panel. Because of this, the "retrace" time has been cut down quite a bit, thus improving the picture even more. The unit can scale 1080i signals to match the 480p panel, or you can even turn off the 16:9 mode, and use the full 848x600 panel inside-making it a HT200 with a 6 segment color wheel. Nice. http://www.avsforum.com/ubb/biggrin.gif

If I had one complaint, it would be the light output. This is not designed for those who want an overly large screen. Stick with a HT250 in that case. It is rated at 650 lumens. We tested it on a 1.3 gain 54"x96" screen. At about 16 feet away, it was very nice. If you have a lot of ambient light, you would definitely want a smaller screen to make up for the lack of excessive brightness.

The pixel structure was unseeable at that distance as well. I know there is a big debate on higher resolution units vs. lower units, but rest assured, though it is only a 848x480 unit, you will not even notice. It will give you a great picture regardless.

This unit is especially good for those who watch DVD's mostly. Being a 480p native unit, it is designed to be fed a pure progressive DVD signal. With that fed into it, there is no internal scaling being done...and none needed, eliminating scaling artifacts. For our test, we used a Skyworth 1050p progressive DVD unit with the Faroudja chip in it. Though this is not a pure progressive unit, rather a line doubled unit, it was still amazing.

For those who are DVD enthusiasts and don't want to invest in a bunch of other equipment (ie. scalers, HTPC's, or anamorphic lenses), this is the unit for you. All you need is a good progressive DVD player, a cable, and this unit. I encurage anyone who is looking for a projector to check this one before you buy. You won't be dissapointed! http://www.avsforum.com/ubb/cool.gif

Thanks!

------------------

Jason Turk

AV Science, Inc.
http://www.avscience.com

716-454-1460 ext.204

[email protected]

·
Registered
100 Posts
I will have to agree with Jason, this unit is superb...

I have just seen it at the Cedia show in the UK and it was demo'd against the SDV800 CRT using a Farouja NR scaler, and the HT250 using a HTPC.

The 200DM was connected to an Iscan pro.

I am 1 that is prone to the Rainbow effect and couldn't see any signs of it.

Time to start saving I think.

Sharky.

·
Registered
168 Posts
WHAT IS THE FREAKIN' PRICE ON THIS THING??!!

I can't believe how much has been written about this projector without hard any hard numbers! A German website priced this unit in Euros -- it translated into about US$6300. Any word on U.S. pricing?

·
Registered
12,276 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Hey all!

The retail price on this unit is coming in around $11k. A bit pricey, but worth saving for. The street price will obviously be less than that. I won't have my pricing until closer to the time it is going to be released-Juneish.

Thanks!

------------------

Jason Turk

AV Science, Inc.

716-454-1460 ext.204

[email protected]

·
Registered
473 Posts
ugh, 11k retail, that probably means that street price is probably around 8000 something. YUK. fact of the matter is, that a used 1200 dollar sony 1270 will put out as good a picture. Too bad, if this projector would street for around 4000-5000 it could have been a contender.

·
Registered
1,445 Posts
Resolution sounds like the exact case with the Panny 42" plasma, which is considerably better than the higher rez panels (except probably the 50" panny). After seeing the Panny vs. the higher rez Sony, I agree that many other considerations such as contrast and color go into the all-in picture.

It will be interesting to see how it performs vs. the Sony 11HT and Sanyo 60 as a 16:9 machine...

·
Registered
12,276 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
David,

In truth I am not that prone to the rainbow effect. However, when I look for it, I can usually find it. With this projector, I couldn't even when I tried. A vast improvement for those who fall into the deadly clutches of the rainbow effect! http://www.avsforum.com/ubb/wink.gif

Thanks!

------------------

Jason Turk

AV Science, Inc.

716-454-1460 ext.204

[email protected]

·
Registered
1,587 Posts
Jeff

From what I have read on the TI Thread in the Special Guest forum I take it the HT-200/HT-250 can not take advantage of the new color wheel.

The only current chips beside the new 480P DM chip that can do this is the 0.9"/1.1". So I guess it will need complete new model for the standard SVGA/XGA version's.

DavidW

Quote:
Why do they keep upgrading their low-rez PJ when the "state of the art" is higher

rez?

Also, the low-rez PJ "done right for HT" costs as much as their prior top-of-the-line

250 which was marketed specifically for HT. It sounds more like they are fixing

problems with their units and marketing them as "better" models while raising the

price a couple thousand to "get it right".

Boy, and I thought JVC was off base by charging $$$ to "calibrate" a projector so

that it meets specs it should meet in the first place.

------------------

Jeff

Currently - Zenith 7" CRT, 80x60 1.3 gain screen

Soon to be - 107x60 1.3 gain...with ?Seleco 250 with Panamorph or "cheap" 9" CRT

·
Registered
3,029 Posts
Jeff Smith,

To me, the focus on resolution is misplaced, and a vestige of the computer heritage of digital projectors.

Color accuracy, saturation and contrast are everything. A D-ILA is nice because it has lots of resolution, but you won't be happy over the long run unless the colors are correct. 800 X 600 is plenty for DVD. I even found that often 480P works best on a smaller diameter CRTs, even when they'll take 800 X 600, or even 720P. It's the overall quality and punch of the image that's crucial, not resolution. And the HT200DM is the first stock digital unit I've seen that actually has CRT-like punch -- with no external scaler, no calibration mods, no anamorphic lens, no HTPC, no custom software and plug-ins. Just straight out of the box with a Grayhawk screen. It's really great.

·
Registered
4,525 Posts
Between the resolution and the price, each pixel costs almost 2 cents!

Compare that to other projectors with a pixel cost of 1/10 to 1/2 a cent per pixel.

It does sound nice, though.

·
Registered
1,141 Posts
Why do they keep upgrading their low-rez PJ when the "state of the art" is higher rez?

Also, the low-rez PJ "done right for HT" costs as much as their prior top-of-the-line 250 which was marketed specifically for HT. It sounds more like they are fixing problems with their units and marketing them as "better" models while raising the price a couple thousand to "get it right".

Boy, and I thought JVC was off base by charging $$$ to "calibrate" a projector so that it meets specs it should meet in the first place.

------------------

Jeff

Currently - Zenith 7" CRT, 80x60 1.3 gain screen

Soon to be - 107x60 1.3 gain...with ?Seleco 250 with Panamorph or "cheap" 9" CRT

·
Registered
2,969 Posts
I agree with PF. Why so many are fixated on bigger numbers -more pixels, bigger screens, more horsepower - is a mystery to me. There's precious little HD programing to be viewed these days. NTSC broadcasts, Computer Games, and DVD are what most of us watch. The DM (800x600 and 848x480)makes perfect sense for these sources. If and when HD programing is pervasive, then perhaps the new 16x9 HD chip will be a more logical choice.

As for the incredulity of some regarding the performance and price of the HT200DM, I can only cite the cliche "the proof is in the pudding." Look at the picture. Don't allow your preconceptions about what the right resolution or right price should be to cloud your judgement. Just look at the picture. If the colors are gorgeous and the blacks rival CRT blacks and the picture is three-dimensional and there is no artifacting, what's not to like? And what is it worth? If $11K turns out to be the retail, the only valid question would be "can I get the same from another product at a lower price?". Only those who have seen the HT200DM and have familiarity with pantheon of projector choices can answer this question.

1 - 20 of 60 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.