AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
341 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
John, how did you like this projector? I just couldn't get over the black level. They had just got it and it wasn't even set up completely but it is the nearest thing I've seen to a CRT projector. Don't get me wrong on the rainbows, I was going pass the door to the theater just when a scene in the film shows a dark room with a small light showing through the door. So I saw it in the corner of the eye only and I was moving. This is not a normal viewing situation. The Sharp site says that the color wheel has different speeds. I only know it's the best projector for that price I have seen.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Wow! Sounds like a winner to me. Did he say what type of 3-chipper was coming in? I am coming home to NC soon and I would love to swing by there.

Raphael

------------------

Laser Projection Is Coming!

·
Premium Member
856 Posts
Th HT300 should be great and superior to the others I mentioned 9000 and HT200dm...however I would also expect a $3-5k higher price tag than the others. I hope its less..however I think it comes with a faroudja saler built in....so...

REgards,

JOHn

·
Registered
4,952 Posts
Dang it, and my boss tried to get me to come up to Raleigh today!!

Arrrrrgh!!!!! Tell us more about the projector, and tell us what your dealer thinks of it, he has a good point of reference.

Take care, thanks for the posting..

-- Cain

·
Premium Member
25,001 Posts
"The blacks were every bit as good as the Runco in the other room."

Was it a Runco CRT?

Thanks

------------------

Noah

·
Registered
4,952 Posts
What was he selling the projector for??

I have seen it already on the Internet for 8K, so will he do it for that, or less??

Also, there is s good chance that Alan, and the AVS boyz will be selling this projector here, so I'd give them the first shot if you can..

-- Cain

·
Registered
341 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
He had only had it installed recently and offered no opinion. I have seen the Sony 10, Marrantz 8000, Sharp 99 and my own Boxlight 455 for comparison. Like I said, it looked like the 8" RUNCO in the other room as far as Black level. I do not believe it is fully adjusted yet so I need to return this weekend after the techs have done their stuff. I would like to carry my own DVD's that I normally compare also. "The Unforgiven" is not one of them, I would like to see "Shakespeare in Love" which has very complex colors and detail on this projector. I knew nothing of this projector and looked it up on Sharp-usa's web page. I didn't know a DLP could produce 1100:1 contrast ratios. The Greyhawk screen may have a lot to do with the very black blacks I saw, I have only seen the Da-lite Hi contrast which for me was too dark and kills the whites. My screen is the same size as this one and this projector claims 800 lumens as mine claims 1300. I think Infocus/Boxlight is over excited in claiming 1300 as the 800 from the Sharp looks as bright to me.

The dealer said it sells for $10K and I do not know if they'll sell for less. That is probably the retail price.

[This message has been edited by jmrobbins (edited 09-06-2001).]

·
Registered
6,227 Posts
Don't forget that the Boxlight is only using a proportion of its screen (and lumens) in that 1300 figure so once you take the 33% of used screen in a 16x9 panel you have approx the same light output...

I hope that it is HTPC friendly.. Though I am assuming it will be only the Sony's seem awkward

------------------
New email [email protected]
HTPC without using windows... GUI Front Ends for Home Theater

·
Registered
341 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I saw it today projecting on a 100" Greyhawk and I must say this is what I want (just want it cheaper). The blacks were every bit as good as the Runco in the other room. The specs were 1100:1 contrast, 800 lumens and a 1280x720 DLP imager. They were even showing the film "Unforgiven" which is not what you would choose to show off any projector.

Boy, it took Sharp a long time to join the DLP party but they sure did it right. It also features a 5X color wheel but if you are bothered by rainbows (I'm not) they're still there. It sells here for $10K.

[This message has been edited by jmrobbins (edited 09-06-2001).]

·
Registered
441 Posts
Was the unit exposed to any ambient light. The 800 Lumen rating scares me but the high contrast ratio may make up for it.

·
Registered
341 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
It was at a local dealer who just built several fantastic home theaters (the type you see in magazines). The room was just like a theater with only seat lighting and no speakers visable anywhere. Anyone in the Raleigh area needs to see it at Audio Advice.

He is also getting a 3 chip DLP soon.

·
Premium Member
856 Posts
I am sensitive to rainbows and I did not see any ..even in Gladiator...maybe JM is super sensitive...I was even trying to see them..

Regards,

John

·
Registered
75 Posts
If it's not HTPC friendly, what problems would you have trying to use a HTPC with it?

I assume you can still connect a PC up to it though and use that for your DVD source? Wouldn't this still theoretically give you a better quality picture than a regular DVD player?

Thanks

·
Registered
4,952 Posts
I understand this dealer was "Audio Advice" can you tell me exactly where they are located so I can go see the projector when I am in Raleigh in a few weeks ??

Thanks!!

-- Cain

1 - 20 of 24 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.