AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 54 Posts

·
Registered
1,239 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just got back from my demo, Rob Tomlin attended as well.

WOW, I really didn't think this PJ was going to stand up to the Sharp and Marantz, but I was wrong.

The setup was a standard Da-Lite white screen, with the masking and change in aspect rations I would estimate the screen width to be approx 7.5 to 8.0 feet.

It was being feed HD via satellite (HDNET), and interlaced and progressive scan signals from a Meridian DVD.

We watched The Fifth Element, which is one of the benchmarks I've been using to evaluate PJ's.

I was simply amazed at the quality of this PJ, the color accuracy was excellent, the black levels are as good as any DLP I've seen, and the depth and dimension of the picture was beautiful. This PJ has a perfect balance between the correct amount of brightness and the smoothness of picture, not to bright and not to soft.

What's really amazing is the PJ wasn't even calibrated, the dealer was adjusting the color on the fly, as we changed feeds and went back and fourth between Interlaced and Progressive signals.

This baby just became number one on my list. With the singly cable connection and dual DVI ports it's a no brainer for me. Now I'm going to pray that no bugs surface in the next few weeks as owners and dealers begin to put it through it's paces.

·
Registered
13,827 Posts
SWEET!

I found my projector!

I was with Thomas at this demo (thanks for the heads up). One of my main concerns was that the Dwin might be too soft (the TV2 was soft and a recent review here said it looked soft), but I can assure you that was not the case!

Images (both HD and DVD) were very sharp and detailed. You could count every strand of Leeloo's hair, as well as each whisker on Bruce Willis' face.

I saw very little video noise. Nice clean image.

I asked the salesman what they were feeding the Dwin. They were sending a progressive scan signal from the $6000.00 Meridian DVD player. I asked him to try the interlaced. When the change was made, the colors were off, with a noticeable red tint. The salesman adjusted the color on the fly, without using AVIA or VE. The result was quite surprising. Colors looked very good...vibrant, with a real "pop" without being over saturated.

In a word, I was very impressed! I think this is at the very top of the list in terms of picture quality alone (right on par with the Sharp). Add to that all the conveniences regarding the design of this pj, I agree with Thomas that this is a no brainer.

I can only imagine how good this could look when it is properly and carefully calibrated!

I was disappointed to see that the Dwin has some light leaking from the front lens. The Dwin was sitting on a box (the dealer is not permanently mounting it because it is being installed in a customer home on Tuesday...he has presold four of these suckers), and you could see a little of the light spill on the floor. I'm sure this would be an easy fix, similar to what some 7200 owners are doing with custom made lens hoods, but I still wish this wasn't an issue.

The fan noise was average. It could have been a bit quieter. Then again, it was sitting on a box right in front of me, so I was very close to it. Couldn't hear it at all with normal audio playing. It had the low "whooshing" sound similar to the Sharp .

Overall I am very excited about the DWIN TV3, as I am quite certain that this will be my first projector!

·
Registered
639 Posts
how would you rate the dwins brightness factor. compared to say the 7200 or sharp. i have to light up a 159 diagonal screen...

·
Registered
13,827 Posts
We were in a totally darkened room. There certainly wasn't any issue regarding brightness on the screen we saw today. Plenty bright.

Thomas has a 9 1/2 foot wide screen, if I recall correctly. I don't think it will be an issue for him either.

I can't really give a specific answer on whether it would be bright enough for a 159 diagonal screen though. That's just friggin' HUGE!

·
Registered
1,469 Posts
Rob and Tom,

Thanks for your reviews. You both made me a happy guy, as I expect my DWIN late this month:).

·
Registered
1,469 Posts
10500 is list for the DWIN

·
Registered
141 Posts
I had a chance to see the Dwin in Chicago last week but the picture didn't look as good as Thomas and Rob must have seen. There were noticable motion artifacts and excessive color saturation in the reds. It is possible that the projector wasn't calibrated properly, but that should have only affected the colors I would think. I looked at an HDTV feed where the problems were less apparant but on DVD (I think a Pioneer Elite) the problems was very clear. Later the dealer was able to swap out the Dwin and put the Infocus in and the difference was night and day - Just an observation - unless someone can tell me that the Dwin was set up improperly, I would have to say the 7200 pic was better.

·
Registered
13,827 Posts
You won't regret your purchase Fred!

Uddinz- It's funny you would say the Dwin had motion artifacts and you preferred the 7200, because I thought the 7200 had noticeably more artifacts than what I saw today. There are so many variables that go into these comparisons its not even funny!

It's been said before, but I think all of these HD2 projectors put out a fine image....we are nitpicking here. I would really like to do a direct A/B with the Dwin and Sharp, Marantz etc, but I can tell you that I was quite happy with what I saw today.

I didn't really mention this in my initial post, but I was pretty impressed with the black levels....and this was on a white screen! I wonder how much a Firehawk would help?

·
Registered
141 Posts
Rob,

Just thought about this after you wrote your post. The only dvds I was able to view were SW Episode I (Pod Racing Scene) and the Introduction to LOTR. The source materials could have contributed to what I was seeing. I was quite surprised myself because I was very pro TV3. I am hoping to give it another shot somewhere else.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Rob and Thomas,

Thanks for the report. Glad to hear the Dwin is looking good. Where in SoCal did you see it? Did the dealer have any information regarding Dwin's shipping schedules?

·
Registered
13,827 Posts
We saw the DWIN at:

Pacific Audio Video

2816 E. Coast Hwy

Corona Del Mar

949 640 5093

I believe the salesman said it would be about 4 weeks to receive a unit if the order was placed now. He said the TV3 was selling very, very well and that's why it was so hard to find a dealer who had a demo set up (it is certainly possible this is true, but there may be some salesmanship involved as well). If you want to see this one, you need to see it no later than Monday the 21st, since even that demo unit is being installed in a customers home on Tuesday!

·
Registered
1,239 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
uddinz,

One thing I can tell you is that a couple of bogus settings will destroy the best picture, I've seen it on the Infocus 7200, Marantz S2, JVC SX-21 and now the Dwin TV3.

We were watching a Progressive Scan image for the first few minutes on the TV3 and then we switched to Interlaced and the color was terrible, exactly as you said, excessive reds and some increased artifacts. The dealer then made several adjustments and the quality of the picture was restored to an excellent image again.

I was amazed at the change in PQ by simply adjusting it on the fly, imagine what it would be like properly calibrated.

samalmoe,

I have tested the SX-21, 7200, and S2 on my 133 diag Firehawk, all of these PJ's were excellent as far as brightness. If I had to pick a brightness winner from these three, I would go with the 7200, but you pay a price for the increased brightness. Of these three, I would pick the Marantz as the best PQ I saw in my HT, to me it had plenty of brightness, with a superb picture.

My guess is the Dwin will handle your screen size, with some minor loss of

PQ when compared to a more conventional sized screen.

Rob,

You buy the Dwin and you can test for screens in my HT, and I think I can arrange a Marantz for the comparison. I now favor the Marantz PQ over the 7200 and the SX-21, it would be very interesting to compare it to the Dwin, which I think is every bit as nice as the Sharp. I've tried to find a Sharp for a test, with no success. :)

·
Registered
13,827 Posts
As much as I was impressed with the images that I saw on the DWIN, I would sure still like to able to do an A/B comparison with another projector, preferably the Sharp and/or Marantz, just to confirm what my eyes were telling me!

I still have some time before I have to purchase, as my room will not be ready for another 7 or 8 weeks.

·
Registered
13,827 Posts
I went and saw the Dwin TV3 again today, just to try and confirm what my initial impressions were, and to take a closer look with some DVD's that I am familiar with.

This was a completely different unit than what I saw the first time, as that unit had been removed and installed into a customers home. This one was also set up temporarily, as it is being installed in a customers home tomorrow!

I must say that after giving the Dwin a second look, I am still extremely impressed. The image is very clean and smooth, with very little video noise. The sharpness and detail is fantastic.

I even watched a DVD that has an "average" quality transfer to see what that would look like (Widescreen Review gave it a 3.5 for pq) and it was very good.

I also watched a Black and White DVD (Criterion's Down By Law). Again, the sharpness and detail was amazing. However, I did think that the image appeared to have a very slight blue tint to it, but it was hard to tell. I will be watching this on my ISF calibrated HDTV tonight to compare.

HD material, again, looked spectacular.

The fan really is not very loud. Certainly not louder than the Sharp. The Marantz might be slightly more quiet.

In summary, I confirmed my first impressions. I actually left the showroom very excited, knowing how good the images looked without the pj even being carefully calibrated. I spent an hour and a half with the Dwin, and I could have stayed all day!

·
Registered
3,639 Posts
I have a TV3 and am projecting onto a 123" diagonal 1.3 StudioTek widescreen. This projector looks awsome. Great colors, bright whites, and dark blacks. I even had to raise the contrast a bit to get the shadows in LOTR:EE how I like them.

·
Registered
13,049 Posts
Tom - glad to hear you really liked the TV3! I have one recommendation in particular and that is to make sure you see it calibrated to 6500 before making a final decision.

Based on your Rob's description, there was quite a bit of by-eye tweaking done. While its generally straightforward for an experienced person to dial in a pretty good looking gray scale, dialing in 6500 by eye is almost impossible without a D65 reference...

What seems to happen in these cases is that the color temperature of by-eye calibrations often wind up at considerably higher temperatures - say 7500-8500. This can be difficult to pick up just by looking at colors and saying 'yea that looks like the color a bus should be.'.

As you likely know considerably higher light output is available when running with higher color temperatures. Conversely, when running at 6500 typically you run out of a color like red by the time you get to 100 IRE, so that means overall contrast needs to be dropped considerably to get proper rgb balance at the high end (85-100 IRE). That likely will not be a problem for the TV3 just like its not for the others in its class. However to get a better feel for how it may look in your how calibrated you may want to put it through a solid Avia calibration.

Keep us posted.

·
Registered
1,239 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Lovingdvd,

I hear ya, but I'm afraid it will be very difficult to accomplish an AVIA calibration without getting the TV3 into my HT, and thats almost impossible at this time.

Most of the dealers will let you play with a PJ, or take your direction on how to adjust it, but walking through a complete exercise of calibrating it is a hard sell.

Also, I was reading a post on another thread (should I buy the Sharp or TV3) and someone mentioned they thought the TV3 looked better with a progressive signal (basically bypassing the transvision controller I think).

We viewed it with both progressive and interlaced signals (interlaced required adjustments to bring back the PQ) and I really couldn't tell the difference, both were excellent pictures. Keep in mind the DVD was a 6k Meridian unit that put out a great picture.

My guess is I will take one more look at both the Sharp and Dwin and then sit back for a few weeks and see if any issues surface with the Dwin. During that time I may be able to snag a Sharp or Dwin to bring to my HT.:)

·
Premium Member
12,972 Posts
Dan- I have asked this of others, now you. I recall you saying before that you suffer from the rainbows.

Have you ever tried to watch with contacts? It seems to me, without a formal tally, that most people who have trouble with rainbows, wear glasses. I'm wondering if they pick up some sort of glare refraction that others like myself (no glasses nor contacts) have hidden from their vision.

1 - 20 of 54 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.