Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1,525 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
FYI

I wanted to get both the East and West coast feed from CBS-HD so I picked up another Dish300 and put a A-B switch between the two Dish300's, works great. You don't need to subscibe to both channels, just point your dish to which ever one you want.

Dish500 pointed at 110,119

Dish300 pointed at 61.5

---A-B switch---

Dish300 pointed at 148

·
Registered
1,525 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
OK, after using this set-up for a while now this is what I found:

1. After you switch dishes, you have to run the "check switch" routine in the dish setup menu. That takes less than a minute. Then the new channel shows up in the guide.

2. The channel will be removed from your favorites list, so I just go into the "all sub" list to select the new channel.

Its' not perfect, but I can live with that. It's nice to be able to watch both time zones. Too, bad there is not a way to combine the two dishes signals?

·
Registered
606 Posts
Hi Glenn,

You can combine all three dishes using the SW64 multiswitch from Dishnetwork.

The 6 refers to the number of inputs (2 from each dish, assuming each has dual LNB), the 4 refers to the number of receivers it can drive.

·
Registered
1,525 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Hi cymro,

That would be great if I can do that with the SW64. All the diagrams I've seen show it being used with a Dish500 using a dual LNBF. Then the 3 sat's become 110, 119, 61.5. With twin LNBF's, it seems as if the Dish500 is treated as a single dish. I have a SW21 now and it is combining 2 coax's into one. I wonder how the SW64 handles a twin LNBF? I'll have to call Dish on Monday to see if it can work.

Thanks,

·
Registered
760 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Glenn_L
Hi cymro,

That would be great if I can do that with the SW64. All the diagrams I've seen show it being used with a Dish500 using a dual LNBF. Then the 3 sat's become 110, 119, 61.5. With twin LNBF's, it seems as if the Dish500 is treated as a single dish. I have a SW21 now and it is combining 2 coax's into one. I wonder how the SW64 handles a twin LNBF? I'll have to call Dish on Monday to see if it can work.

Thanks,
The setup described is three physical dishes, however the DISH 500 acts as two dishes. The SW64 only allows three dishes. Adding a third physical dish for 148 makes a total of four dishes which you cannot run through the SW64 switch.

The A/B switch between 61.5 and 148 seems good if one is not using an SW64 switch. In my case the SW64 is outside. I would have to have the A/B switch outside and with Colorado weather that is not a good idea.

I am stuck with CBS HD East until the Merger and new switches.

With all the DBS satellite locations we may be going back to movable dishes like my ten foot C/Ku Band dish in my back yard. With the merger and 101 having to be added to 61.5, 110, 119 and 148 we will need a switch that will accept five satellites SW104 (ten-four).

·
Registered
606 Posts
True, the S64 is limited to three dishes. I have three 18" dishes: 119, 61.5, and 148, so I don't have a problem.

Glenn, if you don't need to pick up both 110 and 119 with your Dish500 dish, you could replace it with an 18" dish pointing at either 110 or 119.

It also may be possible to rig the Dish500 dish to deliver only one of these satellites, in which case it would only look like a single dish.

·
Registered
1,525 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Hot,

I run the coax from the 61.5 and 148 to inside the house to the A-B switch, then run one coax back outside from the A-B switch to the sw21. From there it combines with the Dish500 at the SW21 and runs back in the house to the receiver. I could eliminate some cable by placing the SW21 inside the house.

cymro,

Do you know what channels you miss from not having 110? Do you get double listings for all the redundant channels from 148 and 61? I would either need another 18" dish or a different LNBF to do that.

I checked the Dish500 manual and it says the twin LNBF will only work with a SW21 switch. I wonder if you can have 2 SW21's on the same line?

·
Registered
606 Posts
Glenn:

I've never picked up 110.

My understanding is that 110 is devoted to locals for cities other than LA & NY, and to various foreign language channels.

In LA we get all locals and all English language channels from 119, 148, & 61.5.

I'm not familiar with the Dish500, but if it has a dual LNB and you eliminate the SW21 switch and then deliberately misalign the dish so it only picks up 119 and not 110 then I think it will behave just like a dual LNB 18" dish pointed to 119.

·
Registered
3,433 Posts
Quote:
Do you know what channels you miss from not having 110?
You can have the Top100 package and just the 119 sat. The extra 50 channels in the Top150 come from the 110 sat. You also miss some of the premium movie channels like HBO comedy. I had to live with an 18" dish for a month last year.

Quote:
I wonder if you can have 2 SW21's on the same line?
You can't cascade like switches. This was confirmed by an installer at www.dbsforums.com . You can only cascade an SW21 with an SW42 (not made any more) or an SW44. There is no other combination. This includes the Twin LNB or the Quad LNB on the 500. They have the equivalent of an SW42 and SW44 respectively.

-Robert

·
Registered
1,525 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Here's a list of some of the channels on 110, I can not give up SPEED! or the extra Showtime, Starz and Discovery channels. I guess I will just continue to use the A-B switch unless there is a special switch that can handle 4 satellites.

HBOCY

SBYND

SHOCS

STZ-W

STZCW

TMC-W

TMCXW

PBS-U

DIY

DKIDS

DCIVL

DHOME